zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Previously I had a battery problem with the Pro-Pointer. Replaced with an Duracell Quantum. However I have a new issue. The Pro-pointer on occasion continues to alert even when taken away from the target. Has happened numerous times. In some cases I have to turn it off and on to make it stop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Upvote 1

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From what I have heard of them so far, wouldn't touch one. Will stick with my Pistol Probe, and maybe get a Nocta, later.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this video regarding ground balancing the Pro-Pointer near salt water. It is put out by Garrett.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be exchanging the Propointer paying the difference and getting the AT Propointer. Hopefully the AT will work better on or near the beach and or saltwater.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will be exchanging the Propointer paying the difference and getting the AT Propointer. Hopefully the AT will work better on or near the beach and or saltwater.

I havent tried mine at a salt water beach but the ground is pretty hot here and it ground balances quite nicely. Just turn it on near the ground and it works like a charm.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CA

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the AT Pro Pinpointer today. So far so good. None of the previous problems. Even works on the beach near salt water. Will advise as i put hours on it.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
While reading complaints from other pro-pointer owners i discovered a possible fix. Believe it or not one recommendation is to take the battery out and depress the button with the battery out. While it was out i depressed the on off button and got one single tone. I then replaced the battery and it seems OK now. Something about clearing the CMOS in the unit.
Will advise if the fix works.

I like this. I really haven't had issues with the two ProPointers but the bleeding down process of the capacitance by removing the battery and pressing the on button...worked just like you described. Cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread