After 6 monhts of detecting, I finally met another MDer in the field...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was a nice person! (aren't most of us?) Running an ATPro. We swapped a few stories of great finds, and shared some of the common places we like to hunt. Turns out both of us like to hit on specific park kiddy area. explains COMPLETELY why it's so hit and miss. If I happen to catch it before him, he'll find the "miss."

We had a good laugh about that, and I suggested we swap months. He was not keen on that idea. LOL So... in the future, I'm certain both of us are resigned to going there twice as often. *Evil grin* Eventually, I'm sure I can make him give up!

-Skippy

Upvote 0

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the meet and greet. Good luck in the kiddy park.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was a nice person! (aren't most of us?) Running an ATPro. We swapped a few stories of great finds, and shared some of the common places we like to hunt. Turns out both of us like to hit on specific park kiddy area. explains COMPLETELY why it's so hit and miss. If I happen to catch it before him, he'll find the "miss."

We had a good laugh about that, and I suggested we swap months. He was not keen on that idea. LOL So... in the future, I'm certain both of us are resigned to going there twice as often. *Evil grin* Eventually, I'm sure I can make him give up!

-Skippy

You're thinking about this all wrong. I routinely drop quarters in my buddie's path to keep him "engaged" in the hunt. LOL

Perhaps a few gifts left for him when you are done in the playground?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters? Can I hunt with you? :laughing7: My buddy throws crusty zinc cents in my path!:censored:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He throws quarters, your buddy throws zincs...who is throwing the bits of foil confetti over my hunt area, by the bucket full? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He throws quarters, your buddy throws zincs...who is throwing the bits of foil confetti over my hunt area, by the bucket full? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Today, it truly was... pop tops. I couldn't stop digging them though, hoping for that elusive gold... I think I managed about a buck in an hour and a half in clad, and a pair of tweezers. That was a unique find.

Skippy.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because our season is so short, MD'ers in summer here are like ants at a picnic. Haven't be able to land hunt without running into one, and when water season starts they will be crawling all over.

As to your tot lot guy, try to figure out where and how he hunts. We all have hunting patterns, certain places or parts of a park we like to hunt and others that don't interest us. Some hunters hunt high discrimination and miss nickels and pennies, others get it all. Some tot lot hunters only hit under the swings and equipment and ignore the edges. And don't forget to hunt the foot or two outside the playground area. You might need to use a digger there but that is why some tot lot folks skip it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were it me, I would have turned him on to Tnet...

I find it strange that when a hobbyist, such as ourselves, meets another kindred spirit in the field, it is an awkward encounter, and we are left kinda bummed to learn of competition so close to home...

Yet all the time, here on Tnet, perfect strangers invite each other to hook up for a hunt, and friendships are made....

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because our season is so short, MD'ers in summer here are like ants at a picnic. Haven't be able to land hunt without running into one, and when water season starts they will be crawling all over.

As to your tot lot guy, try to figure out where and how he hunts. We all have hunting patterns, certain places or parts of a park we like to hunt and others that don't interest us. Some hunters hunt high discrimination and miss nickels and pennies, others get it all. Some tot lot hunters only hit under the swings and equipment and ignore the edges. And don't forget to hunt the foot or two outside the playground area. You might need to use a digger there but that is why some tot lot folks skip it.

Hey Susan,

Here in Idaho (at least where I am) Winter is mild, so I can pretty much do it anytime there's not snow on the ground (which is most of the time)... Other parts of the state will have 5 feet of snow through the whole of Winter, but here, I'm good. :)

As for trying to figure it out, we only exchanged pleasantries... and given that he lived in a city away, and I've never seen the guy before (I'm out 3-4 days a week), it's unlikely I'll be able to pattern him.

Besides that, I'm not too concerned... it's all a renewable resource anyway! Recent drops are just as good as old ones, if you're on top of it!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Conversation didn't last long enough to start exchanging social media hangouts. :)

I really tried to keep it short. Last thing I personally want is someone coming up and burning a bunch of my seek time. I tried to do what I'd like done, and kept it to about 2 minutes. Nice guy, though. :)

Were it me, I would have turned him on to Tnet...

I find it strange that when a hobbyist, such as ourselves, meets another kindred spirit in the field, it is an awkward encounter, and we are left kinda bummed to learn of competition so close to home...

Yet all the time, here on Tnet, perfect strangers invite each other to hook up for a hunt, and friendships are made....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread