Experience selling finds to pawn shops?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a few finds that I'm thinking about converting to cash. Anyone have any luck selling things at pawn shops? I tried E-bay, but the costs there are quite a bit, and figured if there's less hassle I might consider just selling locally.

Things like this:
Silver and Gold Cross.jpg

This specific cross is $129 new... what could I expect to get from a Pawn? I'd be happy with 10% of new cost ($10-12), but I don't know what to expect. It's sterling with 12K gold leaves. (stamped)

Does anyone here know what to expect with pawn sales?

Skippy.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are pretty close at 10-12 bucks.and only if they want to resell it.usually melt weight only wich aint much.a craigslist ad is free.for best value do as I have done,set up a table at a roadside selling spot and let folks tell you what they will pay,usually its more than you would even ask.if they lowball have a number ready for them.
cheers

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not a bad idea, to just collect them out, and then sit outside at a table, next time my neighborhood decided to do a yard sale. I could toss out some of the coins I've got that I don't want and see what folks will offer, too.

-Skippy

BTW, bigfoot1... LOVE your "I don't care which machine..." sig. AWESOME. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cross..

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice cross..

It was a fun find. Rang up ALL over the range. Everything from iron to Solid silver. Strong shallow signals, too (it was only an inch under). The cross was at one end, and the chain extending almost 8 inches the other direction. I was sure glad I dug on the blank signal side that day. No damage to it at all. Took a while to work the chain free from the soil/roots, but it was worth it!

Skippy

olstinker

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to deal with pawn shops anymore. Facebook has a market group for everything.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that $10-$12 is a lot to some people, and I'm not here to judge. That said, I don't usually sell my finds. I let my phat lewt build up. If its melt-value scrap, I'll wait until I have a lot of similar pieces and melt it down into bars. I haven't found a big expensive piece yet, but who knows? Maybe I will find something that I can sell off and buy a new 'vette with?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy, did you know you have your pm turned off? I tried to pm you.. Can you turn it on and pm me please and no you haven't done anything wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL... Sorry about that. And I had to do a double take when you said, "and no you haven't done anything wrong." My brain didn't even go there. :)
Fixing it now.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that $10-$12 is a lot to some people, and I'm not here to judge. That said, I don't usually sell my finds. I let my phat lewt build up. If its melt-value scrap, I'll wait until I have a lot of similar pieces and melt it down into bars. I haven't found a big expensive piece yet, but who knows? Maybe I will find something that I can sell off and buy a new 'vette with?

Ah yes... Aren't we all looking for that giant brick of Aztec gold! I just KNOW it's buried in the tot lot at my city park. Hey, a guy can dream!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread