Which side of coin wears?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to pull a date from a nickel content indian head penny where the wreath side is in much better shape. I have run into the same issue with 2 cent coins and large cents.

Unfortunately I have not paid attention to how it came out of the ground. My curiosity wonders which side gets the wear, top or bottom?
I would think the top. Has anyone noticed?

Upvote 0

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is so much that the coin wears more on one side, as the imprint depth and pattern is different.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that the side of the coin that is facing upward wears worse. The rain trickles down through the ground, along with fertilizer, road salt, or whatever else is around, and causes that side to "decay" (coppers and nickels, not silver). The side that is face down is shielded from this, so it looks less worn. IMO.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the side that is upwards facing in the ground --I the "up"would think would face the effects of acid rain and such much more than the bottom would --thus the top facing side would be in worse shape than the bottom facing side .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the pattern suggestion.

Though I have an Indian Head Cent I found on a riverbank where it was resting exposed on a shale shelf. The face is totally smooth while the reverse is in pretty decent shape.

I don't think once they hit the soil they pick up much additional wear. That occurs in pockets, purses and handling. But that's just my opinion. Beaches with loose sand may be a whole nuther story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread