Got a New Deteknix Xpointer; Finally retired my Cen-Tech.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided it was finally time to upgrade to a "real" pinpointer so I did a bit of shopping around and read a bunch of reviews.

I contacted Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors (Treasurenet supporting vendor) to see if he had anything used (because I have this thing about paying retail if I don't need to), which he did. It was a nice Makro fully submersible unit but I decided that as nice as it is, it still wasn't what I was looking for. Too many beeps and double clicking for my personal taste, but a great device nonetheless.

So I did a little research and although I was VERY close to just breaking down and getting the much heralded Garrett Pro Pointer, I decided on the Deteknix XPointer.
This is not submersible (but it will be after I add a few layers of shrink wrap) but I like it. It's water resistant and it WILL NOT false no matter how hard you try.

It lists for 89 bucks and IMO, it's a great deal at that price. Granted the fact that it's a PI unit means that battery life isn't nearly as good as the Garrett but I can live with that. I'll get a couple of rechargeable 9v batteries.

I'm gonna' try it out shortly but I've been air testing it today and it works well. It also comes with a holster, a bungee style lanyard so it can't get lost and 4 rubber skid caps. The controls are simple. I can't find anything negative to say about this thing as of right now.

I also want to state that dealing with Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors in PA was a pleasure. He put up with and answered all of my PM's, questions and concerns, and never tried to up sell me at all. I will definitely be doing future business with him and his company and I highly recommend him.

And finally, today I have relegated my trusty, old faithful, Harbor Freight/Cen-Tech specials to backup status. They have served me well (most of the time between mods and a couple of repairs) but the time has come to get a "real" pinpointer. I figure I'm in for the long haul and might as well have something solid and reliable.

Happy Hunting to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, although no one's posted in this thread I want to give an ongoing review/update of my XPointer as I use it and see just how long a less expensive unit will last and perform.
It has a two year warranty so the way I see it, no matter what happens it'll last at least that long.

And speaking of the warranty, less than a week after I started using it, the rubber button popped out of the select switch while I was using it and was lost. I honestly think this was a true anomaly because I can't find a single reference online to anyone else having this problem. I guess I'm just a really lucky guy.

I contacted Ft. Bedford Detectors. I was told that although a few problems have been reported, my missing button was a first for them. I genuinely and completely believe him based on my "research".

The warranty service was absolutely fantastic. I was offered an immediate replacement but I suggested a replacement button that I would install myself. They were more than happy to send one out immediately.

In less than three days I had my new replacement button in my hand and installed it in about a minute. I was also still able to use the PP in the meantime with the help of just a bit of strategically placed black electrical tape over the hole. It was just fine and not a speck of dirt found it's way inside.

It's working beautifully and so far I am more than satisfied. I'm impressed. Overall, I really like it and it does exactly what I need it to do and more.

Comments and questions are welcome and encouraged.

I guess that's about it for now. More to follow as time goes on........

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does just as well as any out there. Can't beat the price or service. Mine has worked flawlessly for a year now. Any manufacturer can have a problem unit get out the door.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does just as well as any out there. Can't beat the price or service. Mine has worked flawlessly for a year now. Any manufacturer can have a problem unit get out the door.

I agree.
I have no idea how that button popped out. The way it's configured, it's pretty tough to get it in. All I can figure is it had to be messed up when I got it, maybe internally torn or something.

And again, as far as the service goes, I'm definitely impressed. They went out their way to give me immediate satisfaction.
My feeling is that this unit will soon make a name for itself. They're also coming out with a fully submersible model that runs on both 9V & AA batteries very soon.

I believe there's also a rechargeable unit available. Dunno' if I really like that idea though. If it goes dead on you you're SOL. I believe in extra batteries.

I was warned about short battery life but since I don't even use the vibrate mode, the batteries seem to last just fine. I'm still on my first battery and it's still goin' strong. Battery life is no issue at all for me.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I love mine.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love mine.

So far, so do I.
I hope to be saying the same thing a year or two from now.

It's hard to convince anyone that a relatively new product could be comparable to the much lauded Garrett PP at a lower price.
My belief is that in a few years the XPointer will do just that and that in the meantime sales will steadily rise. I'll bet they'll improve it as time goes on as well.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been exactly one month since I got the XPointer so I figured I'd do an update.

My review has not changed one bit. I really love this thing and I'm still very impressed. I've already beaten the hell out of it and it's just fine.

I did put a new battery in it but the first one was not completely dead yet. In fact, that battery lasted almost the entire month. I only changed it because I assumed it needed it but I didn't notice any decrease in performance whatsoever. Again, I don't use the vibrate mode so I have no doubt that this was a huge factor. I hunt by ear and intuition.

I highly recommend this product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does it go 2 or 3 inch in depth ? Or more or Less

It depends on the size of the target. On large targets it goes impressively deep. I haven't actually measured it.
It also has three sensitivity adjustments. I actually keep mine on the lowest setting and so far I haven't needed to adjust it yet. It also NEVER falses no matter how hard you push on it while probing the hole.

In fact, you can't make it false no matter how hard you try. That alone impresses me. My cheapo Cen-tech will easily false with a little pressure on the probe.

So far the ONLY performance issue I have seen is it sometimes won't pick up very small pieces of foil and certain kinds of hot rocks; both of which are trash in my book anyway. On gold, silver and coins it screams. Those are what I'm after so it's perfect for me.

It's truly a very good product; especially given the 89.00 price tag.

This may be sacrilege to some but I'm really glad I didn't get the Garrett; although it was really close. My gut just told me to go with the XPointer so I followed it.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Garrett but because I really like the XPointer. It's just a perfect fit for me and my personal hunting style. It may not be for someone else.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Does it go 2 or 3 inch in depth ? Or more or Less

Advice, don't figure that the Xpointer will get any more depth on clad coins than say the original Garretts Propointer, except maybe .25 inches. You basically will see 2.25" on dimes and quarters, that's it.

I love my X-pointer though.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Advice, don't figure that the Xpointer will get any more depth on clad coins than say the original Garretts Propointer, except maybe .25 inches. You basically will see 2.25" on dimes and quarters, that's it.

I love my X-pointer though.

That's fine.
Put it this way. This PP has done all that I need it to do and has done it well.
The way I see it, if I need to get 1/4" closer to my target, I'm pretty sure it's never going to be a problem.

The pinpoint feature on my detector is fantastic too and between the two of them I can't recall a single time I haven't been able to easily locate my target.

I'm not saying it's better than the Garrett. Then again, I can't see it being any worse either. They both seem to be great products and I would happily use either. Healthy competition is a great thing; especially for the consumer.

BTW, I love mine too..

Last edited:

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About time!!! Love mine and never had a problem, I have only changed the battery once in a year and I use it a lot. It can go 3 to 4 inches on a dime. Love it.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
About time!!! Love mine and never had a problem, I have only changed the battery once in a year and I use it a lot. It can go 3 to 4 inches on a dime. Love it.

I will buy your X-pointer for $130, even used, if you can prove that you get 3-4 inches on a dime,,,even in air test.

That is a good profit. I seriously doubt your claim though.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will buy your X-pointer for $130, even used, if you can prove that you get 3-4 inches on a dime,,,even in air test.

I'm not touching that challenge with a 10 foot pole. I don't get involved in this kind of thing.
I'll just stand by my claim that it's a great product that does exactly what I need it to do. I really love mine and I'll leave it at that.

If you two guys want to debate or have a challenge, have at it.
I'll just sit back and watch the fun begin.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I'm not touching that challenge with a 10 foot pole. I don't get involved in this kind of thing.
I'll just stand by my claim that it's a great product that does exactly what I need it to do. I really love mine and I'll leave it at that.

If you two guys want to debate or have a challenge, have at it.
I'll just sit back and watch the fun begin.

So you still say that your X-Pointer detects at 3-4" ranges on dimes
?

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your reviews, Garrett. I have 2 pro pointers that are falsing in open air. I,m between the new Tulwar type sword from India and the detectnix.

They have a fully submersible model available now with a built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery. It uses a USB charger. I really know nothing about it.

Personally, I don't think I would want that one because of the fact that it's rechargeable; unless I had two of them. I just don't like the idea of being on a long hunt and the battery dying. I always carry and extra 9V on me just in case I need it. Both my detector and PP run one on 9V.

If I were looking strictly for a submersible I would probably stick with the Garrett for now. That's just my personal opinion.

I'm seriously considering putting about 3 or 4 layers of heavy Reynolds shrink wrap on mine and making it submersible. I have a machine and the material at work. I think it will work well.
I'll try it out on my old Cen-Tech first and see how it does.

And yeah, as far as falsing goes, the XPointer definitely will not do it no matter how hard you try. It's very impressive imo. They hit a home run with this one and you can't beat the price. The two year warranty is good too. If it's gonna' break I assume it should do it within two years of heavy use.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think Papa meant centimeters:laughing7:. Either way, every video I have seen shows the XPointer scoring higher and sensing further than the Garrett PP as well as a few other common name brands. So I think your money is safe unless you pay an extra $40 for a PP that doesn't do what the XPointer does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that video Phantasm.
I watched it early this morning and the XPointer speaks for itself across the board.

Dare I say it?? Is the XPointer "better" than the mighty, much lauded, highly prized and fiercely defended Garrett??

I can't say for sure 'cause I've never used a Garrett to compare it to but I believe it's quite possible.

What I can say is the my XPointer is fantastic and I have zero regret about buying it instead of the Garrett.
I would like to try that fully submersible Garrett though. It looks pretty indestructible.

And ultimately, everyone should get what feels right to them personally and does the best job with the individual's hunting style.

In my case, it's the XPointer all the way. The fact that it won't false is what really sold me on it in the first place. Had that not been an issue I would have gotten the submersible Garret in a second.

Who knows, I may still pick one up at some point. Nothing wrong with a good solid water hunting and wet weather PP.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread