Montes Nail Board Test - Show Your Tests

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monte's Nail Board Test - Show Your Tests

Before I knew of Monte's nail board test, I would arrange a bunch of different trash targets ranging from nails to can slaw on the ground, place a coin in the middle and test each of my detectors and coil combinations to see which did the best at detecting the coin. That taught me a lot! Detectors with VID screens and audio ID tones could not in most cases correctly ID the coin. Worse yet, some didn't even know that there was a coin there.

Now that Monte brilliantly came up with a standard nail board test that you can download and print, we can share information about each of our detectors.

I'll start off with my Tesoro Tejon with the 5.75 concentric coil. The Tejon is a single tone detector and I set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out the nails. When I test my F75-LTD-2 I'll set it up in tone ID and while video taping I'll show the screen VID numbers. Then I'll video tape how NASA Tom recommends setting up the F75 in a single tone to detect at nail laden sites.

tabman

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll make one with MX-5 with the 9" Spider, 5.3 Eclipse, 5x10 Eclipse and 4x6 Eclipse.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll make one with MX-5 with the 9" Spider, 5.3 Eclipse, 5x10 Eclipse and 4x6 Eclipse.

Please do! I'm thinking about getting a MX5 with the 5.3 inch coil. I've heard good things about that combination.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The G2 didn't in my opinion do as well as the Tesoro detectors did, but so far it did outperformed the other detectors that I tested. I forgot to do the position 2 on the test board.:BangHead: The G2 like the Compadre works great on low conductors. Both are really good at finding fine gold necklaces.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monte's Nail Board Test - Show Your Tests

Alright it is a little long and my first video so bare with me. I tested every coil I have for the MX-5 and MXT-Pro. I was not sweeping the coil as fast as what it looks like I'm the video. There were a few parts where I zeroed in and used a slightly faster sweep, but the whole video looks faster than I actually was sweeping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch your video was very helpful. Thanks

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will do one with the mxt-pro and 5.3 Eclipse next

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Before I knew of Monte's nail board test, I would arrange a bunch of different trash targets ranging from nails to can slaw on the ground, place a coin in the middle and test each of my detectors and coil combinations to see which did the best at detecting the coin. That taught me a lot! Detectors with VID screens and audio ID tones could not in most cases correctly ID the coin. Worse yet, some didn't even know that there was a coin there.

Now that Monte brilliantly came up with a standard nail board test that you can download and print, we can share information about each of our detectors.

I'll start off with my Tesoro Tejon with the 5.75 concentric coil. The Tejon is a single tone detector and I set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out the nails. When I test my F75-LTD-2 I'll set it up in tone ID and while video taping I'll show the screen VID numbers. Then I'll video tape how NASA Tom recommends setting up the F75 in a single tone to detect at nail laden sites.

tabman

I didn't see you do the #2 position....top to bottom.

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You appear to be using new nails. try russty nails as found when digging. It will make a huge difference. It did for me. Much tougher.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tabman
DE is the default process setting on the F75 for most average hunting.
For high iron/nail sites the F-75 and the T2 have the FA process Fast Audio.
I use FA every day at old cabin and home sites ,and it pick up the non ferrous in the nails very well,not a deep mode,but will unmask .
I wounder how FA will do on the test ?
Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread