Montes Nail Board Test - Show Your Tests

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monte's Nail Board Test - Show Your Tests

Before I knew of Monte's nail board test, I would arrange a bunch of different trash targets ranging from nails to can slaw on the ground, place a coin in the middle and test each of my detectors and coil combinations to see which did the best at detecting the coin. That taught me a lot! Detectors with VID screens and audio ID tones could not in most cases correctly ID the coin. Worse yet, some didn't even know that there was a coin there.

Now that Monte brilliantly came up with a standard nail board test that you can download and print, we can share information about each of our detectors.

I'll start off with my Tesoro Tejon with the 5.75 concentric coil. The Tejon is a single tone detector and I set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out the nails. When I test my F75-LTD-2 I'll set it up in tone ID and while video taping I'll show the screen VID numbers. Then I'll video tape how NASA Tom recommends setting up the F75 in a single tone to detect at nail laden sites.

tabman

Upvote 0

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tabman,,,

Could this be adapted in some manner to be of use with my Fisher CZ7 PRO?
I really am starting to get the hang of it finally. (When I have time as I am hugely busy with work and aged parents)

The CZ7 is a dang iron detector from hell,,, I AM learning the subtle sound differences but any help is better than no help.

Thanks
Hit

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tabman,,,

Could this be adapted in some manner to be of use with my Fisher CZ7 PRO?
I really am starting to get the hang of it finally. (When I have time as I am hugely busy with work and aged parents)

The CZ7 is a dang iron detector from hell,,, I AM learning the subtle sound differences but any help is better than no help.

Thanks
Hit

I don't know. Download Monte's test board and let us know. http://ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Nail_Board_Performance_Test.pdf

tabman

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do,,, I actually have Sunday and Monday off this week and all I need to do is mow the yard.
Granted it will take me a full 8 hours to mow, I will still have a day to give it a shot.

Thank you for the link Tabman

Hit

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still just do like you used to do when testing. I tried to get one of his actual prefabed nail boards but I can't get a response from Monte anymore...???...I guess I can print one off and look for the right sized nails in my garage or the Depot.

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still just do like you used to do when testing. I tried to get one of his actual prefabed nail boards but I can't get a response from Monte anymore...???...I guess I can print one off and look for the right sized nails in my garage or the Depot.
Hi- Unfortunately, this is an old thread I believe Monty has passed away. RIP

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mr T, no MontE is alive and well as far as I know from a few days ago. MontY may have passed though. Not sure what you meant by this being an old thread, it was started by Tabman 2 days ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here you go: [email protected] He's still kicking.

tabman

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry bout that, just realized I had misread the date and name!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to give this a try... Thanks

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ground is too hard and dry to dig so I thought I'd test my 75LTD-2 with the settings that I use most often in the first video. In the second video I read where NASA Tom recommends setting the F75 up in a single tone with 7 for the discrimination for getting the best results when working at nail laden sites. I think a 8 discrimination setting would have been better, because the nails were in my opinion not being discriminated out enough for my liking. I like a smooth ride.

Come on posts some videos!

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tab, I would have expected the 75 to do better on that #2 position longitudinal sweep with the Nel. Shoot us one with 2 Tone, zero disc. Show us the high tone, then pick up the coin and let's hear the low tone. Just that longitudinal #2 spot.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just took all my machines thru it and they were a little disappointing. I sold my F-19 which did the best I have seen at this type test.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tab, I would have expected the 75 to do better on that #2 position longitudinal sweep with the Nel. Shoot us one with 2 Tone, zero disc. Show us the high tone, then pick up the coin and let's hear the low tone. Just that longitudinal #2 spot.

I decided to do the whole test. Here you go:

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I just took all my machines thru it and they were a little disappointing. I sold my F-19 which did the best I have seen at this type test.

Fletch the only detector that I own and have owned that can keep up with some of my Tesoro detectors is the Technetics G2 with the 5 inch DD coil attached and it's not as pleasing to listen to as the Tesoro detectors. VDI number and tone ID are worthless when it comes to detecting at iron laden sites or really trashy areas. I'm always on the lookout for something better, so if someone knows of something better please let me know, because I'd like to give it a try. Right now Tesoro is top dog in my detector arsenal.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome!!!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This guy did a great video showing why the Tejon is so good at unmasking hidden targets.

If someone knows of a detector that is better at unmasking than Tesoro detectors, let me know, I'm in the market for another detector.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put the coin 2" below the nails and try again. ;-)

I already had a video made. I set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out a foil cap and it still hit the nail in one direction.

Like I said before, I'm always in the market for another detector. I'd like to see what your detector can do on the Monte's nail board test.

If a detector can't detect a nickel with the nails on the same level it sure the heck can't do it if the nickel is 2 inch lower than the nails.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions