Metal Detector Recommendation

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
This may seem like a rather broad question, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good MD for my Dad's upcoming birthday. He's been using a Radio Shack / Bounty Hunter Discover 3 for many years, I know there are far better machines out there and with his big 7-0 coming up I would like to give him something he'd really enjoy. Trouble is, there are so many machines out there that it makes it difficult to choose one, although I have a few possibles in mind, including the Fisher F-4 and Teknetics G2.
My Dad primarily hunts coins in trashy, highly-mineralized soil. I've read that a double-D coil is best for trashy areas so that is probably a must. The unit should also be comfortable to use for long periods of time and not too complicated to operate (although I can assist him with this if needed).
Over the years I've hunted with him using several MD's of my own, all of which I eventually sold. I found the most by far with a Minelab Musketeer Advantage, although I disliked it's lack of features and its flimsy construction. I've also had a Garrett Ace 350, Fisher 1236x2, and Whites XLT Spectrum, but the Minelab found things that all three of those could not.
As for price, I'm looking for something in the range of about $400-800. Someone local has a Garrett GTI 2500 for $500, I'm considering it but it's concentric coil may not be the best. Someone else has (or had) a bunch of Teknetics G2 bundles (w/ extra 5" coil, headphones, etc) for $500 but I suspect these are knock-offs so I am wary.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough question.. I have an Ace 350 and did not like it at first. It's harder to pinpoint with and the tones are harsh sounding at first. Now that I've learned it, I do like it, and I do really like the DD coil. It goes absolutely nuts for coins. I just wonder what his adjustment tolerance would be.

Personally, I wish I could afford the AT Pro... the tones in pro mode are much nicer to my ear. That would be my choice but I haven't been doing this long and my opinion is not worth much. About $20 in clad to be exact lol. All I'm saying really is get a pro instead of a 350 if you go that route.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites M-6 with a DD 10x6 is a good choice,a true coin magnet..of course that's not the only good thing it will find:laughing7:I really like the tones...it serves me WELL!

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
$400-800, need decent ergonomics with reasonably light weight, not too hard to learn how to use, trashy areas with lots of mineralization.

In the "made in El Paso" lineup, which includes Bounty Hunter, Teknetics, and Fisher, we've got lots of stuff to fill that bill.

First of all, searchcoil. "Trashy with lots of mineralization" favors a small searchcoil, and favors elliptical over round. If the trash includes lots of flat iron (esp. steel bottlecaps), you're probably better off with a concentric. DD's also have a longer learning curve due to their anomalous responses on shallow targets. He's already accustomed to a concentric.

I regard our best overall "small concentric" to be the one that goes on the F22. It's not a symmetrical elliptical like previous designs, but slightly pointy. I'm not sure if it's in full production yet. It's part of the so-called "Greek" or "Fratbros" searchcoil series, so if you begin with the searchcoil then the machine you choose will be one that works with those searchcoils. More specifically, the machines in the Tek and Fisher lineups that run at 7.something kHz. Not compatible with the 19 kHz machines which require DD searchcoil.

The machines that use this searchcoil series keep getting better. The Fisher F44 is getting very good reviews from people who've had their hands on it (see the Fisher forum for more info), is the latest & best version of this basic platform, is weatherproof, and won't be terribly expensive (street price probably on the order of $350). The things it's going against it in your situation are a searchcoil better suited for less trashy conditions, and too many choices in the user interface (things that many customers will actually prefer but they're not for everybody). On the other hand it's got some features your dad will probably want (esp. ground balanced all metals operation) that the F22 doesn't have. So, here's my suggestion: since your price range is $400-800, spend the first chunk of change on an F44, spend the next chunk on the F22 searchcoil, and have some left over for a few accessories. When it comes to the user interface, if you get it figured out first and narrow it down to what's relevant to him, just write the settings down on a piece of paper and that'll get him started. He doesn't need to know everything the machine can do, he just needs to know how to make it do what he needs done. In particular just say NO to "notches", that's a can of worms better left unopened. If you're familiar with how he uses his present Radio Shack unit, a good strategy will be to figure out what operating setups in the F44 most closely resemble how he uses the Radio Shack. Of course be aware that the response characteristics and sounds will be different no matter what you do, the F44 platform is not in any sense a derivative of the RS platform he's used to.

Another somewhat different suggestion is our high-performance "sleeper" unit, the F70. I think "street price" is usually around $600. Basic performance is comparable to the F75 and T2, and the user interface is easier to learn. Although heavier than some of our less expensive machines, it's still fairly light weight and the ergonomics are excellent because the weight of the batteries is under the elbow. The stock standard searchcoil is an elliptical concentric. The next size down in that searchcoil series is the 6 1/2 inch elliptical concentric which may seem tiny, but does a superb job in trashy areas. If you think that some of the searching will be of the relic hunting kind in areas that aren't particularly trashy and where it's possible to dig deep holes without getting shot at or arrested, the F70 may be the better choice although it does come close to breaking your budget if you throw in that 6 1/2 incher.

Other possibilities:

Teknetics Omega (versatile and predictable with easy-to-use interface, it's my personal favorite pick-up-and-go machine)

Fisher F5 (performance comparable to Omega but with all-knobby dial-it-in user interface for those who hate computerized programmable interfaces)

The 19 kHz machines (G2, F19, GB Pro, etc.): These were designed more for gold prospecting and relic hunting. But they're good at tot lot and such work too, with very good target separation, high sensitivity to jewelry, and exceptional resistance to electrical interference. DD searchcoils only, dealing with steel bottlecaps will take a bit of experience.

--Dave J.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Woof! :thumbsup:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was impressed with the depth of the f44 in one video on youtube. It was hitting some very deep coins. Might have to pick one up myself for the backup machine.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do NOT buy a GTI 2500.
Great machine in its day, but way to heavy without the info yur father will want.
Used, top line machines may suit yur needs when purchased from a supporting vendor.
A new F70, as stated up �� there, is costly but extremely capable. Fast!
In all honesty, I'd buy him an ATPro and not look back.
GL
Peace ✌

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone local has a Garrett GTI 2500 for $500, I'm considering it but it's concentric coil may not be the best. Someone else has (or had) a bunch of Teknetics G2 bundles (w/ extra 5" coil, headphones, etc) for $500 but I suspect these are knock-offs so I am wary.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

As CKid said, skip the GTI 2500. Someone else may like it but it's the wrong machine for your dad. (I don't normally go about knocking competitors' products but occasionally do so in a specific instance.)

Regarding the G2 bundle: if it's new via a factory authorized dealer (they're listed on the Teknetics website), that's an excellent deal, and $500 isn't an absolute impossibility for the real thing. However if it's a unit that isn't traceable directly to El Paso, it could be a counterfeit and you'd best steer clear of it.

--Dave J.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd pick a detector with a DD coil, and take weight into mind also. I can swing 2.9 lbs all day, but still getting used to 3.5 lbs now, mind you I'm 56.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 67, I can swing my excal with 15" coil and straight shaft from dawn to dusk, the secret to weight issue is a harness. When I let go of my detector it hangs right next to my side, controls up.... Bungee hooks to my camelpac of cold water.....

1a2a649641beecc0f72543dbce7a52c4.jpg

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll throw my recommendation into the ring. Go with the AT Pro. Great machine, trusted and respected manufacturer, options for different coils including DD as well as great customer support from the company. I've owned mine now for a bit over a year and although work doesn't allow me to get out much, I always have a successful hunt with the AT pro. Throw the 5x8 coil on there and it's about as lightweight as detectors come. I purchased mine and haven't looked back since.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta take issue with the Moderator Himself on this one. His Excals and harnesses are completely irrelevant to the needs of CT's dad. Just because you personally like something doesn't make it the right product for someone else! I've designed products that I personally despised, but the boss said do it anyhow and those products developed fan clubs. I've also designed and built prototypes I really liked personally, but knew they weren't marketable products and didn't push for them.
Jonathan and I might disagree on what the best choice would be for CT's dad, but nobody denies that the AT Pro is a worthy competitor in its price range. To the dissatisfaction of some Garrett fans I'd say the same for some Tesoro and White's products. They all work, heck, my own engineering design is the basis for many of 'em. I'm employed by FTP nowadays but some of the stuff I designed for other metal detector manufacturer companies over 15 years ago is still their bread and butter.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the MXT-Pro and the MX-5. I like them both about as well as the other, but reach for the MX-5 most. since it is lighter and has a standby mode which I've come to find very practical.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta take issue with the Moderator Himself on this one. His Excals and harnesses are completely irrelevant to the needs of CT's dad. Just because you personally like something doesn't make it the right product for someone else! I've designed products that I personally despised, but the boss said do it anyhow and those products developed fan clubs. I've also designed and built prototypes I really liked personally, but knew they weren't marketable products and didn't push for them.
Jonathan and I might disagree on what the best choice would be for CT's dad, but nobody denies that the AT Pro is a worthy competitor in its price range. To the dissatisfaction of some Garrett fans I'd say the same for some Tesoro and White's products. They all work, heck, my own engineering design is the basis for many of 'em. I'm employed by FTP nowadays but some of the stuff I designed for other metal detector manufacturer companies over 15 years ago is still their bread and butter.
My post was simply in reply to Loco-Diggers post on weight issues, I use a harness on all my detectors even land detectors, it makes it so much more enjoyable... I was not implying the excal was the detector for CT dad..

I'd pick a detector with a DD coil, and take weight into mind also. I can swing 2.9 lbs all day, but still getting used to 3.5 lbs now, mind you I'm 56.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My post was simply in reply to Loco-Diggers post on weight issues, I use a harness on all my detectors even land detectors, it makes it so much more enjoyable... I was not implying the excal was the detector for CT dad..

My post was very generic (not brand nor model specific) and just wanted to highlight my 2 concerns, A good coil design and how you might want to take the detectors weight into consideration, being that the person who is getting the gift is 70 and has been swinging light weight detectors.

I understood what you were getting at and did not take it that you were recommending anything more than a harness can make a detector easier to use.

OP
OP
C

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
I think I can now narrow down my choices to 4 different machines:
Fisher F70
Fisher CZ5
Garrett AT Pro
Teknetics G2
Leaning towards the CZ5 but the lack of DD coils is a turn-off. Hard to choose a machine with so many out there....

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
before you do anything I recomend a call to our supporting vendors.I just had a great expierience with keith at fort bedford detectors.ask him about the final choices,and coil options.I suspect you may end up with an at pro with the 5x8.

good luck and hh

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to side with Dave on this. The F44 seems the best choice especially with the FeTone Iron Audio adjustment for trashy sites. And there is no better coil choices available than the Greek series (considering after market coils as well.). A F44 for $350 and a NEL Sharpshooter would be a perfect combination, IMO. Under $500. Coming from the Bounty Hunter, you don't want to have to relearn too much and power, options and lightness would seem paramount. The Omega might be too big a jump. The Gamma can use the same coils with less learning curve and still get the targets.

I don't know how the CZ got into the mix, it's a whole different world away from the others.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same setup on my M6 and it's a real coin hog!! But, it might be a little heavy for the older gentlemen. But like TH said, a harness would solve that problem. Also, maybe the MX5 would be just the ticket,a little lighter....just turn on and go!! JMHO:dontknow:
Whites M-6 with a DD 10x6 is a good choice,a true coin magnet..of course that's not the only good thing it will find:laughing7:I really like the tones...it serves me WELL!

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
C

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
Just realized that the F44 still hasn't shipped yet... that's a problem as I need this ASAP. Also, isn't it a bit premature to be singing its praises when hardly anyone has had a chance to test it yet?
I'm leaning towards the AT Pro at the moment...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread