Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. This is my first time posting…finally had something really worth sharing. I had a pretty incredible experience last weekend.

About a mile into the woods of Vermont on what I believe is an old wagon road I discovered all of these finds within about a 1000 square foot area, in less than three hours. It was the experience I had always dreamed of. I found a Royal Provincial loyalist button about 10 minutes before discovering a spill of coins about 30 feet away. The "spill" actually included 4 coins still in the leather pouch that originally contained them all...12 in total, 3 stuck in clumps. I have to say, I’ve never before experienced a thrill quite like I did when I realized it wasn’t just one coin, but a pouchfull! My hope was that they were large cents or colonial coppers.

It turns out that of the 12 coins, 7 were identifiable and all are British halfpennies. Three dates are legible: 1723 (George I), 1729, and 1730 (George IIs). Edit: one of the remaining coins was identified in Sept as a 1694 William & Mary halfpenny.

Before this, I had detected quite a bit as a new hobbyist two summers ago and found 2 mercs and a WWII Victory Medal; the latter was special as my maternal grandfather was a WWII Pacific theater combat vet and I myself work for the VA. Afterward I grew frustrated with endless pulltabs and trash, especially since I have so little free time, and nearly gave up the hobby. But watching inspiring videos and having a thirst for treasure and history drew me back, with a new detector (AT Pro) and new approach (research!). This is just my third time out this season!

Prior to this, the most I had ever hoped for was a silver from the late 1800s. But this experience just blew me away, and taught me things that a 19th century silver couldn't. This find has made me far more curious about the history of my area and New England, and given me a totally new perspective on how deep and enriching this hobby can be.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the pictures, and I look forward to connecting with members of this community.

Attachments

• Colonial Find.jpg
    Colonial Find.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Colonial Find 2.jpg
    Colonial Find 2.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Royal Provincials Button.jpg
    Royal Provincials Button.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 423
  • All finds.jpg
    All finds.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 380
  • George I and II Obverse.jpg
    George I and II Obverse.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Coins and Button.jpg
    Coins and Button.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 1730+1723.jpg
    1730+1723.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find but doesn't qualify for banner. Found before joining TNet

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very incredible find!
I'd say that you are becoming a SUPER treasure hunter!
Great score! :thumbsup:

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible cache!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

The large copper spill is awesome, but to have a button like that in with it is just insane!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just an update:

1. Found out from TNET members in September that one of the coins I thought was blank but was later able to identify more detail in turned out to be a 1694 William and Mary halfpenny! Final tally was 1 W&M, 1 KGI, 6 KGIIs, 4 blanks : ) image.jpg william and mary.jpg

2. What I thought was "an old stagecoach road" at the time is actually a British military route apparently established during the French and Indian War (map found offline this month, dated 1758!). From my other finds (RP Button especially), it appears it was used well into the Revolutionary War.

3. I feel very grateful to have had this find. I'm a little chagrined at this point that I was just an infrequent TNET visitor/non-member before I found it, and joined and posted it a few days later. Banner would have been cool, but I accept the rules and it doesn't take away from the fact that this find changed my life for the better.

Hopefully more to come as I head back up there over the next few weeks...

Cheers,

Ken

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds...and the research after the fact to tie it all together is awesome..... good job by you!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are officially a stud-muffin. Congradulations !

I am a bumbling, lucky amateur compared to you sir...anyone that can find that many US gold coins in separate locations is in another league entirely.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That bag of coins is an incredible find.
To think that the bag has been laying there for centuries and then you showed up to find them is amazing. That could definitely be a once in a lifetime find for you.

Big congrats on an incredible find and an awesome hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions