Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. This is my first time posting…finally had something really worth sharing. I had a pretty incredible experience last weekend.

About a mile into the woods of Vermont on what I believe is an old wagon road I discovered all of these finds within about a 1000 square foot area, in less than three hours. It was the experience I had always dreamed of. I found a Royal Provincial loyalist button about 10 minutes before discovering a spill of coins about 30 feet away. The "spill" actually included 4 coins still in the leather pouch that originally contained them all...12 in total, 3 stuck in clumps. I have to say, I’ve never before experienced a thrill quite like I did when I realized it wasn’t just one coin, but a pouchfull! My hope was that they were large cents or colonial coppers.

It turns out that of the 12 coins, 7 were identifiable and all are British halfpennies. Three dates are legible: 1723 (George I), 1729, and 1730 (George IIs). Edit: one of the remaining coins was identified in Sept as a 1694 William & Mary halfpenny.

Before this, I had detected quite a bit as a new hobbyist two summers ago and found 2 mercs and a WWII Victory Medal; the latter was special as my maternal grandfather was a WWII Pacific theater combat vet and I myself work for the VA. Afterward I grew frustrated with endless pulltabs and trash, especially since I have so little free time, and nearly gave up the hobby. But watching inspiring videos and having a thirst for treasure and history drew me back, with a new detector (AT Pro) and new approach (research!). This is just my third time out this season!

Prior to this, the most I had ever hoped for was a silver from the late 1800s. But this experience just blew me away, and taught me things that a 19th century silver couldn't. This find has made me far more curious about the history of my area and New England, and given me a totally new perspective on how deep and enriching this hobby can be.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the pictures, and I look forward to connecting with members of this community.

Attachments

• Colonial Find.jpg
    Colonial Find.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Colonial Find 2.jpg
    Colonial Find 2.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Royal Provincials Button.jpg
    Royal Provincials Button.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 423
  • All finds.jpg
    All finds.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 380
  • George I and II Obverse.jpg
    George I and II Obverse.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Coins and Button.jpg
    Coins and Button.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 1730+1723.jpg
    1730+1723.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post and a banner find!!
Great job on the research, the dig and the perseverance to push through...........!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome and WOW. Very well done.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find. Some people have all the luck, Congrats on pulling all those old coppers.:thumbsup: Living in Ohio I dream of joining the 1700's club.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Z.K. That's one heck of a way to get on the board LOL! Congratulations on an amazing find, and colonial on top of it!!! Welcome to Tnet. Man, if I had waited until I found a colonial fond (or even 1800's) No one would ever know my name here, fact is I expect most don't anyway as I don't make many nice finds, my "claim to fame" hehe are 2 barber dimes and a no date SLQ! I'm afraid the closest I'll ever get to a banner find is if I find somebody's party banner in a park.

I really enjoyed reading the story of your find! It sure does make a person think about how that pouch of coins came to rest where you found it 2 centuries later! Congrats and I hope you keep hunting now that you got a taste of the real old good stuff!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Great story and finds!

Thanks for sharing, grats to ya and HH ALL.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations!!! :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :hello2:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet story there and great find for sure !! :occasion14:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner from me!:thumbsup:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly! I have yet to have that kind of find and to make it my first post. Congratulations in spades! Oh and BTW Welcome to this outstanding place to share all those wonderful finds like that in the future.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a positive group of people! Thanks so much for the sharing the joy.

As an update: I'm splitting the coins with the landowner, who is a good friend and is also now very interested in starting to detect :) . We're working out a good plan moving forward to share other finds, as, unless I just got lucky enough to discover, in 30 minutes, the one spot where something extraordinary happened (an encampment? a skirmish?), we're looking at about 2 miles of completely unexplored colonial wagon trail, 2/3rds of which is on his property. That trail was already lost to memory by the time the big survey of my area was done in 1869. There is reportedly the foundation of a tavern out there...can I just say that it is tough not to call in sick right now?

Also, I plan to lend the RP button to my local historical society for display in their museum. Feels like something that should be shared with the public to hopefully inspire other people's sense of wonder.

Thanks again for the warm reception, and HH! Will keep you posted...

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A W E S O M E :thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations and welcome to TNET

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a positive group of people! Thanks so much for the sharing the joy.

As an update: I'm splitting the coins with the landowner, who is a good friend and is also now very interested in starting to detect :) . We're working out a good plan moving forward to share other finds, as, unless I just got lucky enough to discover, in 30 minutes, the one spot where something extraordinary happened (an encampment? a skirmish?), we're looking at about 2 miles of completely unexplored colonial wagon trail, 2/3rds of which is on his property. That trail was already lost to memory by the time the big survey of my area was done in 1869. There is reportedly the foundation of a tavern out there...can I just say that it is tough not to call in sick right now?

Also, I plan to lend the RP button to my local historical society for display in their museum. Feels like something that should be shared with the public to hopefully inspire other people's sense of wonder.

Thanks again for the warm reception, and HH! Will keep you posted...

Sure sounds like your good friend has a good friend in you! I hope you make many more amazing finds on his property! I am sure you will! Looks like you're set for hunting sites for the forseable future, good luck to you both!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread