ATP [Garrett & Compatible] Coil Weight Comparison?

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have completely worn out my ATP stock 8.5x11 coil. I like using my 5x8 for trashy areas, but for not so trashy areas I usually do a sweep using the big coil first, then I use my smaller coil for a few passes, then use he big coil one last sweep to finish up (because I've usually pulled a lot of trash in between first and last).

In shopping for a new large coil, whether Garrett brand or other third party ATP compatible coils, I haven't seen them list the weight of the coil in the specs. For example the NEL coils just say "Ultra light weight" but don't actually give the weight!

If you know of a place that has a comparison chart that would be great. Also if you have an opinion on any of the after market brands feel free to chime in.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you wear out a coil? You dragging it over gravel? I detect often and have never worn one out.....with or without a coil cover.....and some of my coils are over 20 years old!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you wear out a coil? You dragging it over gravel? I detect often and have never worn one out.....with or without a coil cover.....and some of my coils are over 20 years old!

ditto

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take the "AT" is AT Pro seriously dudes! Actually I should have used a different description than 'wore out', maybe more like 'beat the hell out of'... PBK, since you're in Dallas you know how low the lakes were before all the rains... well some of the lakes I go to have some very rocky areas. I looked for some pictures but I must of deleted them. I wear out coil covers so fast... and then I start getting gouges and cracks and chips... whack whack.

Anyway... I did eventually find some info on coil weights. I am going to try the NEL Hunter as a replacement for the stock Garrett coil. I think it's worth a shot. The Hunter is a 8.5 x 12.5 and weighs about half an ounce less. We'll see.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might try pastic dip. If its that severe you might try a custom made bottom cover out of sturdy plastic that you can zip tie on the bottom of your coil. Think of it as a coil sandal LOL Never made it out to the dry lake beds. Figured everybody else did. Where in N tex are you ? I've been doing good at the "rich kids " high schools.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he needs something made out of Kevlar! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might try pastic dip. If its that severe you might try a custom made bottom cover out of sturdy plastic that you can zip tie on the bottom of your coil. Think of it as a coil sandal LOL Never made it out to the dry lake beds. Figured everybody else did. Where in N tex are you ? I've been doing good at the "rich kids " high schools.

I've heard about those dips, but never seen it or researched it. Maybe it's time. I live in Flower Mound north of the Airport. If you are not already on, you should check out the FB page called North Texas metal detecting. Good people on there and some get together from time to time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread