Pro Metal Detectors?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, just wanted to start a new thread asking everybody who's willing to give their honest opinions and facts on which MD's are considered Pro Grade. Why I ask? I continually see and read on different threads people saying: That is a good mid range detector. Or that is not a pro quality MD. What does make or compose the quality of a MD? Price, build quality, specs, ect.

Upvote 0

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well said! The real answer then is that anyone that is getting paid to use their detector is using a pro detector! Also as noted earlier, if the detector has the word pro in the title, it would be hard to argue that it is not a pro detector.

Seriously though, I have seen the Fisher F2's make some really incredible finds. Tons of people using them, tons of great finds with them. As noted above though they are not officially Pro detectors because these yahoo's are not getting paid to use them. I would go with what them guys on Diggers use. They get paid the most and that makes their detectors the most pro!

Hey, technically we're all pros if we're digging treasure.

We're ALL getting paid.

We're just not receiving a check from a third party. The treasure itself IS the payment/payoff. Even if you're just digging clad you're getting paid. It's not much of a wage but it's payment nonetheless. It also does add up over time. (still not a great wage though)

I know I did great last week. If I could only figure a way to get paid like that consistently I could quit my day job or maybe go part time.

Ultimately, the challenge and joy of the hunt is payment enough in my book.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't disagree that Minelab makes some amazing detectors, but from what I have read their customer service is lacking and repairs take forever. Again, that's just what I have read. My only problem with Minelab is that they drop all support for detectors models at some point in time. At this point your "pro" detector is just an expensive place to hang you hat.

I agree on the second part of your post on dropping all support for older detectors models.
imo if you produce it, You should be willing to repair it.
I'm sure with a little research I could name companies who are able to repair 20, 30 maybe even 40 year old electronic devices they produced , but my guess these days "Disposable" is more company policy then not. and for the most part,
I have heard of Metal detector companies Including Minelab, repairing under warranty, beyond Warranty cut off.
which you would never see from other types of electronics.

but other then the inability of their technicians to repair discontinued models,
I have found their service to be very good.

I find Time back & forth is usually dependent on time of year (spring Summer Fall vs Winter) and the impatience of the Owner :laughing7:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is still repairing the Excalibur Sword and they were first produced in 1993, over 22 years ago. I see them come into Kellyco Minelab repair center.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't disagree that Minelab makes some amazing detectors, but from what I have read their customer service is lacking and repairs take forever. Again, that's just what I have read. My only problem with Minelab is that they drop all support for detectors models at some point in time. At this point your "pro" detector is just an expensive place to hang you hat.

I've read both directions about their service but personally have had no direct experience. On the other hand a company constantly being bragged on about their service, I do have experience with having bought 4 of their products and having problems with 3 of them. So my explorer xs is 14 years old and my explorer 2 is 12 years old and my sovereign gt is at least 10 and last but not least my 705 is 5 years old with zero problems I guess I'll just have to wait and maybe one day one will break and I'll test their service. Thats 41 combined uninterrupted years of not neading any work and that imo is better than cheaply made but readily serviced bound to break again product. Back to the question about pro detectors imo fbs is the way to go.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read both directions about their service but personally have had no direct experience. On the other hand a company constantly being bragged on about their service, I do have experience with having bought 4 of their products and having problems with 3 of them. So my explorer xs is 14 years old and my explorer 2 is 12 years old and my sovereign gt is at least 10 and last but not least my 705 is 5 years old with zero problems I guess I'll just have to wait and maybe one day one will break and I'll test their service. Thats 41 combined uninterrupted years of not neading any work and that imo is better than cheaply made but readily serviced bound to break again product. Back to the question about pro detectors imo fbs is the way to go.

FBS is the only "real" advancement in my opinion that has been made in VLF recent history. Minelab definitely has an edge with that one. I don't dislike Minelab at all and I think they make some really innovative machines---- I personally just can't justify the price tag. IF I were to spend that kind of money on a detector I would feel obligated to be using it all the time! I am glad I haven't had the opportunity to try one because I might be to tempted to change my thinking after trying one.

Right now about 90% of my detecting is water hunting in freshwater lakes and rivers. For what I do my Tiger Shark has served me extremely well. There is always something better than what we have, but for me the key is just appreciating what I have and learning to use it really well. We will never all agree on the same detector and if we did the forum would get pretty boring.

Again it still amazes how many good finds are being made by beginner models like the F2, Ace, and Compadre.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBS is the only "real" advancement in my opinion that has been made in VLF recent history. Minelab definitely has an edge with that one. I don't dislike Minelab at all and I think they make some really innovative machines---- I personally just can't justify the price tag. IF I were to spend that kind of money on a detector I would feel obligated to be using it all the time! I am glad I haven't had the opportunity to try one because I might be to tempted to change my thinking after trying one.

Right now about 90% of my detecting is water hunting in freshwater lakes and rivers. For what I do my Tiger Shark has served me extremely well. There is always something better than what we have, but for me the key is just appreciating what I have and learning to use it really well. We will never all agree on the same detector and if we did the forum would get pretty boring.

Again it still amazes how many good finds are being made by beginner models like the F2, Ace, and Compadre.

I've found 2 explorers in the last year for the price of a new entry level detector. The last one was$275.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try getting repairs for a 20 year old computer, telephone, television, or any other modern piece of electronic gear from the "factory" service center. Today's electronics have advanced so quickly, the older models become obsolete very quickly. That being said, popular models will usually be serviced longer than less popular ones. As long as there is some demand for the parts and service, they'll be available. There are usually independent parts and repair shops to pick up the slack if the manufacturer discontinues support, as long as there is enough demand for it. Planned obsolescence is not limited to Minelab.

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab has all the bells and whistles and has a proven track record probably would be my second choice or first for land digging.
I choose the JW Fisher Pulse 8X. It only has a few dials and picks up everything.

I guess the trend is that we don't dig everything anymore and trust our detectors to sort out what is good before we see it.
You guys just keep doing that and I will come along and find things like gold chains laying on scraps of an iron chest my buddy passed over after getting the strong iron signal.
Of course it is designed for underwater but I use it all the time, 12 to 14" for a quarter with the 10" coil is not uncommon and my 4" coil is a nugget finder.
You dont see them often because they are marketed to law enforcement and fire departments and for commercial treasure salvage.
I first saw one used in the keys with Mel Fisher's expedition.
They are super tough which is good for someone like me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread