Best first time metal detector for a 7 year old

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I considered the compadre for the nine year old. I sugest you do your own reserch of the products mentioned, Check reviews and product comparisons. Som e good stuff on utube. Good luck on your choice. Im sure he will be thrilled with what you get him.

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time in the early 90's I bought two of my kids some inexpensive metal detectors for Christmas. I also went to the bank and exchanged $50. For half dollars and buried those in the back yard (shallow). Boy did they get excited and spent weeks looking for those halves.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm not 7 years old but instead 75 years old and just read 5 pages on the Tesoro COMPADRE and think I may buy one. Lightweight and simple, that's what I like.
Thanks for all the comments----now to decide on the proper diameter coil.
I trust I will not be considered as a highjacker.

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I'm not 7 years old but instead 75 years old and just read 5 pages on the Tesoro COMPADRE and think I may buy one. Lightweight and simple, that's what I like.
Thanks for all the comments----now to decide on the proper diameter coil.
I trust I will not be considered as a highjacker.

We have a gentlemen who was in the same boat in our local club. He ended up trading his AT Pro for simpler machine. Let's be honest we still have entire generations where computers and electronics were not common when they were growing up. Those of us in our 30's are likely the last who can remember book reports and drafting them on line paper....Kid's these days know how to use an iPad before they learn how to use the toilet.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter just turned 9 last week...and I am positive she would not be able to handle a full sized detector. Also factor in that as a kid...she very well may like it for a week and them move on to the next thing she considers awesome.

I personally would never spend 150+ on a full sized detector for a 7 year old as I know how fly-by-night they can be. My son at 11 received a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger for $60 and found a 10k ring...he rarely uses it anymore and I am the one that takes it out and swings it. (Youtube link in my signature on bottom if you want to see live digs with it). It hits a good 4-6 inches on a quarter and has excellent recovery and discrimination for $60. The recovery speed will kill a Go-Find anyday.

I would say check out this video by scannerguy1968 on the Bounty Hunter Jr......it is a great kids machine and hits meteors that $300-400 machines cannot. $40-50 online for it and the kids will def be able to swing it. I know many vets will scoff at this detector but IMO it is a better option than a F22 or Compadre for tiny arms that WILL get tired quickly with a full sized detector.

The test bed and scoring system he uses in this video is quite well thought out (although not the end all be all)....and this detector scores higher then some $200-300 machines.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter just turned 9 last week...and I am positive she would not be able to handle a full sized detector. Also factor in that as a kid...she very well may like it for a week and them move on to the next thing she considers awesome.

I personally would never spend 150+ on a full sized detector for a 7 year old as I know how fly-by-night they can be. My son at 11 received a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger for $60 and found a 10k ring...he rarely uses it anymore and I am the one that takes it out and swings it. (Youtube link in my signature on bottom if you want to see live digs with it). It hits a good 4-6 inches on a quarter and has excellent recovery and discrimination for $60. The recovery speed will kill a Go-Find anyday.

I would say check out this video by scannerguy1968 on the Bounty Hunter Jr......it is a great kids machine and hits meteors that $300-400 machines cannot. $40-50 online for it and the kids will def be able to swing it. I know many vets will scoff at this detector but IMO it is a better option than a F22 or Compadre for tiny arms that WILL get tired quickly with a full sized detector.

The test bed and scoring system he uses in this video is quite well thought out (although not the end all be all)....and this detector scores higher then some $200-300 machines.

Bounty hunters are a lot better than they get credit fot.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still have my daughters bounty hunter jr.dang thing works as a beep n dig.Just have an old rusty nail with you and descrim it out the turn him loose.
However if he is already excited to have a machine,"like dads"you gonna have to step up.a used f2 or new f22 would suit him and if he tires of detecting you have a decent back up and loaner.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah! Get him a cheap Chinese Detector (not a knockoff), but a cheapie. If he wants something nicer, tell him that if he sticks with it, you'll get him an upgrade for his BDay or XMas. It has been myexperience that kids that young get tired of things REALLY quickly. Don't throw away money. Just like pets, you don't start a 7 year old with a $5000 AKC Puppy. You start a kid off with a hamster, and if he doesn't kill it, you upgrade him as necessary. He may eventually wind up with that $5K dog, but he will have earned it. Like the dog, if he doesn't get just what he wants, when he wants it (and has to earn it), he will respect it much more, and take much better care of it.

............or just buy him a $10,000 GPZ-7000, and let him grow into it (at least that's how you sell it to the wifeypoo)!:laughing7: The GPZ will be too heavy for him, so you will have to swap detectors and use his. Darn!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions