Best first time metal detector for a 7 year old

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want the latest and greatest, I'd look into the Fisher F22. A nice entry level detector. You ought to take weight into consideration when buying a detector for such a youngster no matter what make and model. If he is a beep and digger you could go with a Tesoro Compadre, lifetime warranty.

Technetics has a nice detector for designed for today's youth, the Teknetics Digitek Metal Detector.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the weight consideration. I also say as long as you metal detect and are excited about your finds he will be hooked for life anyway.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont matter what metal detector that you buy if you see him getting bored plant him a silver quater in the ground that should keep him interested in the hunt ,but Loco digger does have some good choices

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my son a Garrett Ace 250. Simple, adjustable, nice tones and not expensive for what you get i think... Whatever you get though, id suggest a coil cover, as it has been in my experience dragged and pushed on the ground more than swinging!! Haha... But i did tell him to keep it close to the ground!! :laughing7: I Love my Son!!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say Tesoro Compadre $160 , Great discrimination, 2.2 pounds, easy to use, Lifetime Warranty, and he will probably outhunt you. I let my 27 year old daughter use my Compadre while I used my Lobo and she dug less and found more keepers than me on her first time out. When she moved, it went with her. I plan on getting another.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get something he will not get bored with soon. The thought that he won't be able to figure out a slightly advanced detector is imo crazy after watching my grandkids with new tech.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was looking to buy a detector, I went to the Kellyco site since you can see multiple detector's specs, side by side, and compare the details/features.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Indian Steve, I would get him the Tesoro Compadre. One knob symplicity, you can turn that knob all the way up and pretty much all he will find is copper pennies, dimes and quarters. It will also be something good to have in your personal detector arsenal cause the machine in my opinion is the best tot lot machine made. I own two of them
and several other mid and high end machines and will never be without my compadres they are that good.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Teknetics Digitek has it all. The lower rod made for kids and a face plate that is "cool" like the the choices they make for phones, etc. Not too complicated nor easy to outgrow. LocoDigger had the right idea when he mentioned it. Under $200.

digitek-faceplate.jpg

Don't know about the Compadre for kids. Kids don't listen, but they do love screens. Just watch one with an iPhone/iPod in their hands.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new Minelab GoFind series are great beginner machines.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compadre all the way! It will be a welcomed break from screen(s) and I bet if he tried various machines over several months/years the Compadre would be the favorite! The Eurotek Pro would be another machine to look at if you want a machine with a VDI.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If he's really interested buy him the best you can afford. 7 year olds these days can grasp any electronic concept and run with it like its second nature. He will be showing you how to hunt in no time. ;)

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My seven year old quickly realized that his detector wasn't as deep as mine so I suggest getting the same one you have or get yourself a new one and give them your current one

Papakhan

Apr 14, 2015
Boone, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only is weight a consideration but my 7 year old daughter has short arms and finds the ace 250 I gave her a little difficult to use because of where the arm cuff hits above her elbow. Her other problem is she isn't heavy enough to get a digger in the ground ( I end up digging most of her holes). Any suggestions on good digging tools that a small light 50lb girl could break ground with would be welcome.

OP
OP
stickyfingers427

stickyfingers427

Jan 23, 2013
My seven year old quickly realized that his detector wasn't as deep as mine so I suggest getting the same one you have or get yourself a new one and give them your current one

I have a VX3 and it was definitely to big and heavy for him

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Im looking. at getting a detector for a 9 year old. Leaning towards the minelab go find 20. Will be used primarily in dry sand beach. I like that its comapct, light and adjustable to the height of a child. Its also easy to use and has a cool futuristic design.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Indian Steve, I would get him the Tesoro Compadre. One knob symplicity, you can turn that knob all the way up and pretty much all he will find is copper pennies, dimes and quarters. It will also be something good to have in your personal detector arsenal cause the machine in my opinion is the best tot lot machine made. I own two of them
and several other mid and high end machines and will never be without my compadres they are that good.

I couldn't of have said better.:icon_thumleft: Not only is the Compadre a great beginner detector. It's also a great detector for those who have experience detecting. It's a great investment, because you kid won't out grow it and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out most pull tabs and turn the kid loose.

tabman

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only is weight a consideration but my 7 year old daughter has short arms and finds the ace 250 I gave her a little difficult to use because of where the arm cuff hits above her elbow. Her other problem is she isn't heavy enough to get a digger in the ground ( I end up digging most of her holes). Any suggestions on good digging tools that a small light 50lb girl could break ground with would be welcome.

Hi- unscrew the armcuff and you will see another pre drilled hole which enables you to move the cuff down further- should help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions