Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool pics 026.JPG cool pics 027.JPG
Took my tesoro vaquero to a park last week and ended up having an awesome day. It started out kind of slow but eventually found the silver ring and a couple of bucks in change. Thinking that's not to bad of a day, I headed home and ate breakfast. After breakfast I decided to head back out for a while. Went to a park and thought I would look around the basketball court. Set the disc. just below nickel and headed for the court. First signal I dug and out pops this gold bracelet. Yellow and heavy, so I was sure it was gold but didn't realize how good it was until I got back to the pickup and saw the 9999.
Later that day I took it to a jewelry store to see what he would have to say about it. He tested it and said it was at least 22k but could be more. He than took it to the back of his shop and claimed to have weighed it and that it weighed 24.2 g. He offered me $525 for it but of course I declined. Later on I took it to work where we have digital scales that are checked and calibrated on a regular basis. Three different scales showed it weighed 37.5 g. I would like to think the jeweler made an honest mistake but sure makes you wonder.

Upvote 0

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SWEET silver and gold.

Your persistence really paid off on that hunt.
Congrats.

The melt value alone on that bracelet is $1,297.04. at Friday's closing price if it is indeed 22K.

You hit a home run with that one. Good thing you didn't take your first offer.
Outstanding find.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a good thing you declined the offer and think I would find a new jeweler too ! Very nice find there, I've been hunting for years out here and no heavy gold like that ever.

OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. I doubt that I will ever sell that piece, it's the first time I've ever found that pure of gold and will probably be my last. I hope everyone uses caution when dealing with pawn shops and local jewelers.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a heck of a score! Glad you have a scale at work. Personally, I wouldn't have let it get weighed without me being right there. I would also melt it down into a gold bar so what do I know?

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a super find. As an after thought, I'd go back to that jeweler, and tell him that you weighed it on a calibrated scale at work, and maybe his scale needs to be recalibrated again. This way your not accusing him of anything, but he knows that you caught him low balling you.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the comments. I doubt that I will ever sell that piece, it's the first time I've ever found that pure of gold and will probably be my last. I hope everyone uses caution when dealing with pawn shops and local jewelers.

You'll probably find more as long as you keep showing up for the hunts and digging the targets. Don't sell yourself short because anything can show up at any time or any place, often when you least expect it. This may be the start of a good run for you; you never know.

I know how you feel about selling it though. I've never sold anything I've found.

I was discussing my two recent gold finds with my son just yesterday and that my jewelry and coin collection will probably belong to him and his brother one day. Hopefully that day is a long way off.

That is one gorgeous bracelet though. It's a fantastic find and you deserve to revel in it for a while. You've earned that right.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have IMO could be pure... 24... or close to it.
This is a rarer custom piece and would definitely command a "premium".

I would say this piece is easily worth $1,500 to any gold guy.
If not closer to 2k.
All day long.

Great find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll probably find more as long as you keep showing up for the hunts and digging the targets. Don't sell yourself short because anything can show up at any time or any place, often when you least expect it. This may be the start of a good run for you; you never know.

I know how you feel about selling it though. I've never sold anything I've found.

I was discussing my two recent gold finds with my son just yesterday and that my jewelry and coin collection will probably belong to him and his brother one day. Hopefully that day is a long way off.

That is one gorgeous bracelet though. It's a fantastic find and you deserve to revel in it for a while. You've earned that right.
I've several pieces of 10k and 14k but nothing higher than that. I'm thinking the pure gold jewelry is pretty rare. You don't even see many people wearing gold anymore. Heck, even a lot of wedding rings are junk. Thanks for your kind words and congrats on your two recent gold finds.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice HEAVY yellow chunk you found there!

In my opinion the jeweler made no mistake, greed simply got the best of him.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've several pieces of 10k and 14k but nothing higher than that. I'm thinking the pure gold jewelry is pretty rare. You don't even see many people wearing gold anymore. Heck, even a lot of wedding rings are junk. Thanks for your kind words and congrats on your two recent gold finds.

Thanks.

My record (where purity is concerned) so far is 1 18K band. It's really small but really nice.
Probably a pinky or toe ring. Found that one on a field where I pulled three other nice rings and quite a few junkers.

You're right though. Pure gold is extremely rare. You hardly ever see it but it's something to hope for.

Yours is not only pure, it's so heavy. My recent necklace is 9G which is actually my weight record. Of course it's 14K. Nice find but you've got almost everyone beat. It's an amazing find.

It's a good thing you followed your instincts and went back out.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to add... after thinking on this find...

As far as finds with a metal detector go...
And also as far as the rarity and type...
and not to mention value...
To find this piece on any given day...
even though it may not be old...

VERY rare someone "hits" like this anymore...
And because of its unique Karat and weight... and design...

BANNER.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a beautiful piece of Thai Baht jewelry, which is typically 23k. You can tell by the distinctive snake clasp on it. And of course the gorgeous color of nearly pure gold. We have a very large Asian population in my town and I have found three pieces of it. If you google Thai Baht you may be able to find your bracelet. Congrats on the great find.

OP
OP
K

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a beautiful piece of Thai Baht jewelry, which is typically 23k. You can tell by the distinctive snake clasp on it. And of course the gorgeous color of nearly pure gold. We have a very large Asian population in my town and I have found three pieces of it. If you google Thai Baht you may be able to find your bracelet. Congrats on the great find.
SusanMN, thank you so much for the information on the bracelet. I will definately google it and see what I can find and congrats on the 3 pieces you have found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread