Bounty hunter

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion most of the BH models are starter detectors. If your intentions are to detect occasionally and enjoy the hobby, it will work. If the bug bites and you and you become obsessed like many of us, you'll be looking for a better detector in a month or 2.

Last year in May I started with a no-name el cheapo detector, it paid for itself in a month and a half. I then moved up to the Fisher F4 with a DD coil. It could go deeper and you could cover more ground with less overlapping since it had the DD coil. 3 month later it paid for itself. I then upgraded to the F75 LTD SE. Ran into a great deal. I still need to find $600 more to break even.

I now have 3 detectors.

F75LTD SE is the one I mainly use.

1280X Aquanaut for water hunting

White's classic ID is a loaner/back-up and I use this when I am detecting abandoned houses in seedier areas.

As you can see it's more than a hobby to me..

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They are great as a starter detector. I had one for 2 months before I realized I needed something better but that was because I searching on a beach and only a few detectors work on wet salty sand. If I was just searching in the woods the bounty hunter probably would have been fine for me. But I only spent $100 on it and if I didnt like MD then it wouldnt have been a loss. So go for it. If you like it and really start doing it a lot then start looking into better detectors. Now when a friend wants to go MD with me they get the bounty hunter and they have fun.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're better off looking into a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, as the price ranger is about the same, and it is a newer detector..

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my first detectors was a bounty hunter Discovery 2200 i bought from ebay. This detector did very well for me found me a ton of items and it is nice and light with plenty of graphical information.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To many hunters put the Bounty Hunters down but they are not that bad.

beepbeepin

Aug 24, 2012
Schenevus, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
The sharp shooter 2 was my first detector. It's a good machine the only thing is it doesn't have pin pointing. I found my oldest coin with it.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also started with a Sharp Shooter 2 but as others have said I moved to an AT Pro after a couple of months. My Bounty Hunter was a good machine to get me hooked but I love my AT Pro. Look on Craigslist for a used one... that way if you want to jump up you can always get your money back.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bounty hunter makes good detectors Just have to learn what the machine is telling you. My hunting buddy use a bounty hunter I don't know which one but he is doing great with it. So far this year he has found a 1844 LC he was so excited finding this he quit detecting and came over to show me what he found. He has found 7different pieces of silver coins. He has found 3 rings with it 2 gold and 1 silver lots of wheats. and a ton of clad. So if you get one learn your machine. He hunt at least every day even if he only get to hunt a hour a day but for most days he hunts 4 hour. Good luck and happy hunting......Matt

Ace

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2 w/Sunray X-1 Probe
No experience with the bounty hunters, but I do have some with Garrett, the Ace 250 or 350 would be an excellent choice if looking for a starter detector.

For accessories I'd recommend you get a Lesche Trowel, these two should last a lifetime:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Lesche-Digging-Cutter-Serrated/dp/B0004L7QIY

and this "treasure scoop" for digging in the plug and pulling out dirt, it won't scratch coins and you can use your Pinpoint probe/coil over it, since it's ABS it won't interfere, I love it:

http://www.jimmysierra.com/tools_treasurescoopC.html

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest piece of silver I ever found was with a bounty hunter. A big chunker silver ring at almost 9 inches in sand on a fresh water beach, about 20 years ago.

OP
OP
I

ijon

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 28-RC-WS5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to say that I had the Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2 for quite a while just never learned to use it well. I used it in Florida and found a lot of pennies and quarters. I just need to read it better.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
for $279 --try the teknetic 4000 delta -- great starter machine ..easy to understand easy to use ...nice 0 to 99 number display to help in ID ing the type of metal you found... vs the 12 "blocks" of the ace 250 which co mingle nickles / pulltabs /gold in the same block --thus forcing you to dig em all if you want to find gold ...99 numbers vs 12 blocks --allows for much finer "sorting" thus splitting up the pull tabs from the gold much better --thus less wasted time digging up junk --no machine is perfect but some way are better than others -- the delta is one of the best for the under $300 range machines --I have used lots of bounty hunters and the ace 250 so I know whats what at least in my book ...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The others have given you good advice. I started with a BH Lone Star. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I might not like. After two months I moved to AT Pro ($700) then after three more months... I bought a Deus ($1200). Do yourself a favor start with a BH, then if you are into it (like Loco Digger), buy yourself a high end machine, if your interest level and finances are right.

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if there is anything that I can help you with.

MD-Mainiac

Jun 16, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 2 month old Bounty Hunter Platinum listed in the classifieds... check it out.. complete package with 2 coils for less then the price of a new one.

The BH Platinum is equivalent to the ACE 350, at less cost.

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a BH Tracker 4 for a few years, loved it! My finds with it amazed people with 1k $ detectors. Check them out if you like, recent ones are with BH Pioneer 505.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread