dfreeman454

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
G,250. In market for AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
( sent from my iPhone spelling grammar and Punctuation will be lacking.)

I searched for this briefly on the site and didn't find this thread.

I detect with my grandfather/father figure he's only 55 and he's in great shape healthy etc. We are best friends and we have decided to go in on a metal detector I have a 250 and he had a no name brand thats 20 years old.

He says he knows where to find gold we just need a machine to do it. I say that's great but I'm not always going to be able to goto those places and want something quality to enjoy, versatility essentially.

I went to a local mining store and the owner, he tried to explain the differences of the two to me. But he was difficult to follow and used lingo I didn't grasp.

From what I gather AT pro vs. AT gold is like beating a dead horse but I sure would appreciate the opinions of you fine folks in layman's terms.

Long term gold is an ATX if anyone wants to throw that in there.

I also need suggestion on headphones. Water proof I'm sure.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Devin

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for the difference between the two? The gold has a higher frequency and has a true all metal mode so it is better for gold but can be used for relics etc.
As far as headphones go no further, waste no more time and money just get the grey ghost amphibian headphones.
Do you really need waterproof machine there's a reason im asking because I can point you to a machine that isn't waterproof but has capabilities that surpass the Garrett AT. I didn't think I would find one as I am a huge Garrett fan but Nokta Fors gold or the core machine is the best at finding the small gold, its an unreal machine and recently they started selling this normally $1200 machine for $600. You cant go wrong on either the Garrett gold or Nokta

OP
OP
D

dfreeman454

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So is that to say the Gold does all the same things and is "better" at detecting gold than the pro? Is the pro an inferior machine or a different machine?

Thanks for the help.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right with your first part in a way. It can do like the pro as far as hunting however it cant notch out targets manually, it has only three hunting modes and they are preset modes. The pro allows for more modification on your modes. The gold is more of a gold prospectors machine because unlike the pro it has a true all metal mode with threshold that you set manually, this is what you would want for hunting gold. The gold also operates at a slightly higher frequency than the pro which is tuned for gold. One machine is not inferior to the other they just do different jobs is all. I have a pro and have found plenty with it but never raw gold like you are looking for.
If you plan on going into streams etc then this waterproof machine is what you need. You cant go wrong with it.

Texasmrj

Jul 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Utube .The AT gold is compared to about every gold machine on the market from 10,000 $ to 600$ and hung with most of them on gold .. the Garrett people give a great DEMO .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro sucks for raw gold. Get the AT Gold.:thumbsup:

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro sucks for raw gold. Get the AT Gold.:thumbsup:

X2 = Go for the gold. I did and have no regrets. Comes with a great 5 x 8 inch DD coil that pinpoints extremely well and goes pretty deep. I have pulled quarters from 10 inches down after a good rain with mine. Coins, jewelry, relics or nuggets - the AT Gold will find it. HH!:thumbsup:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro is inferior to the Gold when searching for gold. 15 vs 18. 18 wins all day for smaller gold.
The Gold is inferior to the Pro when searching for coins, relics and jewelry. 18 vs 15. 15 wins all day for coins, relics n jewelry.
I you decide not to use Garrett headphones ��, you will need an adapter.
GL
Peace ✌

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT gold is my absolute favorite machine....i love it.

OP
OP
D

dfreeman454

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geez. I thought I had my mind made up. Thanks guys.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
X2 = Go for the gold. I did and have no regrets. Comes with a great 5 x 8 inch DD coil that pinpoints extremely well and goes pretty deep. I have pulled quarters from 10 inches down after a good rain with mine. Coins, jewelry, relics or nuggets - the AT Gold will find it. HH!:thumbsup:
X-3 = Go for the Gold. Not much more money, but with true all metal mode and threshold, it is in my opinion the better choice. I own one, along with Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones, and I love the combination. The amphibians block more outside noise, are louder than stock headphones, and are waterproof. As far as the Pro being better for coins, I have my doubts. If it truly is "better" for coins, I suspect it's due more so to the larger coil rather than the minuscule difference in frequency. You can always put a larger coil on a Gold for that matter. I've used mine quite a bit and I doubt seriously that my Gold has missed many coins that would have been found by a ATP. However, I do believe that the small difference in frequency does give the AT Gold a definitive advantage when detecting for gold, including small gold jewelry, and without a doubt, when in all metal mode there is no comparison, as the ATP has no true all metal mode. Just my thoughts. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
D

dfreeman454

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the information. Headphones are going to be difficult for me. I'm too paranoid to be so cut off from the outside happenings. We will see.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information. Headphones are going to be difficult for me. I'm too paranoid to be so cut off from the outside happenings. We will see.

You aren't completely deaf to the outside noise but they help cut down the constant ambient sounds and allow you to focus on the audio from the machine. If you buy the AT gold and using threshold mode you will want these headphones. Garrett AT machines are all about the audio and the little clicks, grunts etc help you decide what is what. We wouldn't tell you this if we didn't think its truly necessary for you to get the best out of your equipment.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett also makes a great lightweight set of headphone that are excellent but not waterproof! They fold and store easily and also come with a coiled cord. About $22.00.
You can always leave one side of the ear cups off when detecting.
I believe they're called Garrett Easy Stow headphones!
Used to live in Redding as a boy and really loved that area.

OP
OP
D

dfreeman454

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. I was raised here left for 6 years and now back. The place has changed. A lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions