GARRETT PRO-POINTER - MUST HOLD BUTTON TO STAY ON. ??

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought 2 Garrett pro-pointers about the same time, 7 months ago. Just the other day I was hunting and all of a sudden the PP wouldnt stay on. If I held the power button it would. Same thing happened to the other one when I tried it. Changed battery in one- same result. Went to a different location the next day. Same thing. I've been using PANASONIC batteries. Any clues?

Upvote 0

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the spring in the pushbutton that holds it down has failed. I bought some cheap switches on eBay one time that had this issue. Send them back to Garrett.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is doing that now. Turns out it the back side of the button has worn and will not depress the switch all the way. I will call Garrett for another.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number one reason we use screw drivers for probes. If we don't touch it we move on.
Pinpointer.PNG

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two of them (Pro Pointeres). After 3 months, both of them do that. I thought about sending them back in (and might still), but I don't have too many issues just holding the button down. Battery consumption has gone way down since this "feature" got turned on. LOL

I bought 2 Garrett pro-pointers about the same time, 7 months ago. Just the other day I was hunting and all of a sudden the PP wouldnt stay on. If I held the power button it would. Same thing happened to the other one when I tried it. Changed battery in one- same result. Went to a different location the next day. Same thing. I've been using PANASONIC batteries. Any clues?

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is doing that now. Turns out it the back side of the button has worn and will not depress the switch all the way. I will call Garrett for another.

I left a phone message w/ Garrett. Someone named Sharon. No one has called me back. 5 days ago..

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.S.- If other pro pointers are doing this, it means Garrett is aware of the problem. They need to fix it.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 months is too little time for the problem I had. The underside of the rubber button wore off and would not properly depress and release the switch.

I called Garrett and they are sending out 2 free of charge. This propointer is 3 years old and way out of warranty. Perhaps you should call them again
as their service is top notch.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The latch is broke or worn..I had mine replaced for this exact thing. The new carrot turns on by program after pushing button.. they solved this issue with new at propointer..

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7 months is too little time for the problem I had. The underside of the rubber button wore off and would not properly depress and release the switch.

I called Garrett and they are sending out 2 free of charge. This propointer is 3 years old and way out of warranty. Perhaps you should call them again
as their service is top notch.

Hmm..Wish I'd gotten that kind of response. I called Garrett again today, stated the problem, and they want me to pack them up, pay shipping, and they'll mail em back when they're repaired. Even tho this is UNDER WARRANTY!

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm..Wish I'd gotten that kind of response. I called Garrett again today, stated the problem, and they want me to pack them up, pay shipping, and they'll mail em back when they're repaired. Even tho this is UNDER WARRANTY!

I would do that. It is possible that the problem may be something else or more than just the button. You will get back a pinpointer that looks like new. I think they just take the cap off of the old one and put it on a refurbished one. I did that in the past and turn around was very quick.

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would do that. It is possible that the problem may be something else or more than just the button. You will get back a pinpointer that looks like new. I think they just take the cap off of the old one and put it on a refurbished one. I did that in the past and turn around was very quick.

Good idea Tcornel. I'll send em one at a time so I can at least go hunting...case closed..

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea Tcornel. I'll send em one at a time so I can at least go hunting...case closed..

Now my Garrett pro pointer switch is sinking into the mechanism. Glad it's under warranty. However, since both of these PPs are having the same problem after only 6 months, Im going to check some other brand of pro pointers. Suggestions?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the buttons from Garrett yesterday. They sent me 2 in case it happens again. No charge. They had almost 4 $ in postage.

Sure beats Minelab service. They won't even send me a nylon bolt without returning the entire machine to them.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left a phone message w/ Garrett. Someone named Sharon. No one has called me back. 5 days ago..

I just sent back 2 pointers and got them fixed and they look like new....best bet is to email them, i get a response from them same day when i have issues.

Nothing is going to happen just sitting around waiting.

Try Sue at Garrett, she is who i always contact directly

[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread