Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction Bob. And thanks for your service. I'm not from Georgia but try the t-net by location forum. Look forward to seeing your finds

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob, welcome to T-Net, a great community. Most towns have a website and many post their ordnances on their site. I recommend you look to see if detecting is allowed in the parks. You can also "normally hunt other public properties such as schools. I recommend you start by detecting your own yard 1st and get some practice in digging good plugs along with learning your machine. What kind of treasures are you looking for? I dabble in many detecting venues, private property permissions, parks, schools, and other public lands when I coin shoot. I detect in woods and fields (still looking for coins, but happy to dig some cool relics) and am getting into water detecting.

Thanks for your service, I also retired from the Army (back in 2004) after an OEF tour.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Georgia is a Tuff State to Detect in -Rules- Rules Rules- get Permission I think they require a 5 day advance notice where you will be Detecting, If it Private Property, you will be safer. Georgia, says no Detecting any of their beaches.
If I find out that they get the Federal Government to Re-Nourish their Beaches,Congess need to stop this non-sense if it is a Public Beach.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
head outside the house, you have a front and back yard no? where else to learn your new machine than on your own property.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Bob and Thank you for your service!!!!
If I were you I would go to my local Library and put on a pot of coffee. Go to the local section and start looking for info. I take my phone and take pictures of the pages that have "clues" to good detecting sights. I also take a note pad for notes as it is faster then typing on my phone for me. What you are looking for is any place where a lot of people frequented. Old Bars/Inns.........Old one room school houses....Or old schools with lots of rooms for that matter............Swimming holes..................fair grounds.............Drive inns............Church socials..............Taffy pulling.................Old Houses................Old parks..............that look like new parks................Keep in mind some of the building could be long gone by now.......or some could be under a K mart parking lot...........Don't be afraid to use the micro fish reader and look at old news papers......Back in the day they put every little thing in the news paper................*****Example**** "MAY 27, 1869...It seemed everyone in town attended the annual church picnic that was held on the Mr. Anderson Farm just south of town across from the old mill." Two potential spots to detect all you need is permission.........The farm and the mill...........Next on my list is make map reading part of you life. I spend more time looking at old maps and pictures then anything else........... I believe having a solid research foundation is very important.....Next spend some time digging everything.....learn what that machine is telling you..............If you want to find gold find the pull tabs. If the pull tabs are still in the ground who ever metal detected it before you didn't dig everything.........They took all the high VDI trash and may a silver coin or two and left all the gold. Gold and silver, Silver and Gold.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about all the beaches but I've detected Tybee island several times with no issues. Where are you in Georgia? You might want to se if there is a club in your area. That's a goo way to make contacts.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with a wonderful hobby!! You will get frustrated in the start as i'm sure we all did. Just stick with it and do your research on locations. Get out to the larger private areas and farms. Your going to have some great locations once you find them!!! Keep us posted!!!!!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. First of all let me say thank you all for the advice, I am going to try out my backyard tomorrow. Really don't want to try the front just yet, have to get my plugs right first. Second as much as it sucks in Georgia public land is a big NO when it comes to detecting, yeah it sucks but those are the breaks. Third it looks like I will be spending a lot of time at my local libraries and I thought that ended with high school.

Again thank you all for the advice and for welcoming me into the group. I look forward to showing off all of my finds.

USN Retired

Nov 4, 2014
Leary GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from SW GA from retired (1993) Navy. What part of GA you in?

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USN I am over by Augusta.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bob, welcome to tnet.
My youngest son lives in Grovetown. He is stationed at Gordon serving in the Air Force. Looks like we are coming to Augusta the end of September so I will be bringing my detector, which is also an AT gold. Maybe we can get together.

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moosescout I sent you a PM.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the Library and look up Shermans march through Georgia and then you can find places tho hunt with permission of land owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread