Can you Over -do a Large area?

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may have pulled all that your detectors are capable of. How much discrimination do you normally use? What size coil are you swinging? Have you hunted every square foot in multiple directions? Do you have a brisk or slow sweep?

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes - it's called diminishing returns. Find another spot with more targets.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah.. well unless you find a sudden interest in shreds of aluminum. I dug just about everything from a local park, I found one really cool 60's memorial token, and then a bunch of clad. Now nothing but confetti. I searched the entire field slowly and carefully. Time to move on!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go back with a different detector, any detector. You'll find plenty more.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As it's often stated, "no area is completely hunted out". But, that doesn't mean that the desirable targets won't become fewer and farther between IMHO>
luvsdux

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Change the machine if ya can. We made the change a few years back and doubled our totals going back over places we turned into "Beirut" with all the dig holes. :laughing7: Even today I'm finding things I should have found before......at least that's what I tell myself. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking the same thing! Thanks!

OP
OP
J

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Loco, I use an 8 " Coil, I have grid searched a good portion, but the park is very large. I've been trying other areas of it lately. I think I need a change of scenery? - Plenty of time & places to go this summer!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's an active area like a park, maybe you need to give it a while to "reseed" with new drops from people using that area. Versus inactive areas where activity used to take place but no longer does (abandoned home sites, fields once used for festivals or sports but no longer are, etc). Maybe try again once schools start again in the fall. Happy hunting 8-)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Humorously, when some folks go to dispel the notion that "no place is ever worked out", they will often cite a supposed "worked out park" that they went to and found more goodies! The notion being that: "therefore, no place is ever worked out!". But this defies logic. The fact that they could go there and find more goodies, BY DEFINITION, means that that parked WASN'T "worked out". Doh!

I can think of some spots where they are truly "worked out". Sure, maybe not junky inner city urban blighted parks (where you can not claim such a thing till you've "strip-mined" every conductive signal). But I can think of one country picnic site, that dated from the 1880s to the 1920s. There had never been any structure there, so it didn't have iron to contend with. And it pre-dated the junk (aluminum) era, so we could "dig all". The only junk to contend with was shotgun butts, some bullet shells, etc... After removing 150-ish coins (seateds, barbers, and early mercs/wheaties), over the course of a few months, it got to the point where we could search for an hour, without single beep. Depth and masking had nothing to do with the equation, since even the oldest of the coins was only 4" deep in this dry chaparral terrain.

Or as Johnnoh & luvsdux say: there are places that are certainly no longer worth anyone's time.

OP
OP
J

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2012.JPG 886030_1098782993466922_1853050815941040785_o.jpg - NOT Exactly! :)

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's probably more to find there. Go back:

1. After a heavy rain or just after the snow has melted;
2. Using a much smaller coil than you normally do;
3. Using a much larger coil than you normally do.

The small coil will find masked targets and the big coil will find deeper targets.

OP
OP
J

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im still getting some good finds- searching other areas of the park, using different gridding patterns. & Yes, Rain would help, ground is very dry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread