Question: Hearing disabled and detection

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net!
Research in detecting can be important as to where to hunt.
Before that, the decision to detect and what equipment to use.
The short answer is yes you can.
Depending on detector chosen, many have a screen to read numbers on. Others have icons. Those numbers or icons can be used rather than tones for approximation.
While headphones exist for hard of hearing there are deaf users too.
I only offer one example of a way for the deaf to detect but there are others.
If you would detect, find a way! Here is one device some folks use. Vibra Phone 280.

Our sponsors here might be able to help with questions too. Particularity if they have customers with similar challenges.
Not saying who to ask but Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is usually prompt online during normal hours.

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern detectors generally have a VDI display that helps differentiate targets.

Still though, audio is most of the game.

A relatively simple audio down-converter could be designed to take the headphone jack output, and turn it into lower frequency vibrations for the hearing impaired.

It wouldn't be too much of a technical challenge.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is always a way, depending on how bad it is. I'm sure the sponsors here can hook you up. I guarantee you if you pursue this hobby you will be a detector junky in no time and thanking us for the push. Look forward to seeing your finds. Good luck.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could look into the Vibra Phone 280. It plugs into the headphone jack and emits vibrations instead of tones.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nokta Fors CoRe has a vibrating handle as well

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A member of our local club is completly deaf and uses something as fore mentioned on his land and water machines for many years, and he consistantly makes killer finds. HH Kevin

OP
OP
C

CrazyCookie

Jul 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! I am so very excited and have been waiting for years to do this. I am not deaf just have a hard time hearing certain tones. I believe with the vibration I will be killer :-) Cant wait to show my first finds.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There used to be a firm that made an LED that plugged into the headphone jack and gave a visual signal. I have no idea if they are still offering it - but the site is still active. The price was right at $8 - but you'd need a detector with a visible headphone jack (some are not).

It's called "Silent Search" and listed on this website:

East Texas Metal Detectors Products & Services

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you need is something like this:

vibratingbuzzer.JPG

A small vibrating buzzer. Sew that into a stretch fabric over the handle and plug it into the headphone jack and VOILA! a nice loud buzz and vibration every hit.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread