Just purchased the AT Pro

Jonnythack

Jun 22, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesio/ minelab XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased the At pro and it's suppose to be here Friday! So pumped. I have been doing my research and it looks like learning pro mode is the way to go. I want to find coins and jewelry that's my focus. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to learn pro mode. I'm willing to put in the work. I'm only 23 hoping this detector can last me a long time! Thanks and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beware the Bottle Caps.. LOL those are Enemy number one, when it comes to coin shooting with AT Pro. The Best tip I can give you is, listen carefully to what the AT pro is telling you.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, that's a great machine. I try to learn the basic functions first before jumping into the more complex programs.

OP
OP
Jonnythack

Jonnythack

Jun 22, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesio/ minelab XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay great thanks guys!!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dont worry about bottle caps..the atp is excellent at avoiding those.after ground balancing go to pro zero and add 40 on the iron descrim.the bottle caps will have a grunt-high tone-grunt adio.in no time you will dig very few.most hunts I dig zero.Its an easy to learn machine.if it sounds clean and sweet...dig...if it is all over the place on vdi and audio its very likely trash.

If a close call hit it from 90 degrees and if it doesnt improve..move on.finally it is a fast recovery machine...dont swing too slow..a nice even mid speed swing will improve id accuracy.did I mention ground balance...often?

you are going to love that machine,has slowly become my go to.
cheers

OP
OP
Jonnythack

Jonnythack

Jun 22, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesio/ minelab XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man awesome. Thank you I will use all of that!!

dburch6

Jun 13, 2015
southern indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites Coinmaster Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll love it. Atleast I love mine. it opened plenty of new sites for me. In the last 3 weeks ive only hunted places ive hunted ALOT and I find new and great finds everytime. ive found more silver and old(1800s) coins in the last couple weeks than what ive found in the last 2 years

OP
OP
Jonnythack

Jonnythack

Jun 22, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesio/ minelab XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. That is great to hear

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tips in here, what can I add................... Well buddy I'm no grand poobah or anything, but I have been using it for a couple of years now. As with the ACE 250, , swing out, THEN, press down pin point before you go back over the hit. Another great feature of PRO ZERO mode is that the deeper targets are usually a softer/quieter sound. And deep usually means old also. The display/numbers help, but if you are getting a really deep hit and the numbers are weak or sporadic, go by sound. If it is deep and sounds good (high or mid tone, don't worry if it is choppy), dig it. Don't bother buying a cheap shovel or hand digger, they are a waste of money. Buy a Predator shovel and or a Lesche hand digger from the start, or you will eventually end up buying them later anyway. Believe me, a great shovel or hand digger makes a difference. Use head phones to hear the softer and more nuanced hits. Turn the machine and set to Pro Zero with iron audio on so you can hear everything under the ground, then swing until you find no response from the ground, now ground balance from that clean spot. Now that you have a clean ground balance, go to your preferred settings. When you have an iffy hit, walk around it and swing over the hit from different directions to get a clearer picture of its potential.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased the At pro and it's suppose to be here Friday! So pumped. I have been doing my research and it looks like learning pro mode is the way to go. I want to find coins and jewelry that's my focus. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to learn pro mode. I'm willing to put in the work. I'm only 23 hoping this detector can last me a long time! Thanks and happy hunting!

PRO MODE is the only way to go. I never understood why the standard mode was even an option

Best of luck...I did well with my ATP

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your ATPro!
First, be calm on Friday. I've nearly worn out carpet when awaiting a new detector. ;)
Foremost, I agree with Diggin-N-Dumps. Straight outta the box, learn the ATPro in pro-mode and don't look back. I failed to do this and when I finally graduated to pro-mode I didn't understand it. It was like learning a new machine and I was frustrated. Always wanting a "bell tone" to be confident to dig. Wrong...
Obviously, to me pro-mode will be a bit more difficult to master, but it's well worth it.
Keep us posted on your progress.
GL
Peace ✌

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
https://www.youtube.com/user/aquachigger ATPro magic here.....

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having come from an Ace 350, I can tell you the pro is a huge improvement. The 350 did well, and even with a 350 it's EASY to avoid bottle caps. I never dig them.. with a DD coil you will get a strong and repeatable iron hit when you reach the tip of the coil over a bottle cap. It was the twist offs and peel offs of juice bottles that were my enemies.

I just got my pro, and found several coins in the front yard I missed with my 350. I wouldn't say I missed them necessarily but I could not identify them correctly since they were near iron and the dings and dongs were just too long. Pro mode made this easy.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that pro zero is the setting to use. Since I started hunting in pro zero I've found more of the good stuff than I had before. Including a very small gold heart and a nice ring. Just listen to what the machine is telling you. Quarters are usually 86/87, pennies 70's through low 80's and pulltabs are in the 53/56 range. Both pieces of gold came in solid at 57 and 58. Unfortunately pull tabs and can slaw etc. will also ring in the same so just be patient and dig. You will dig a lot of trash but one has to dig trash to find treasure. Welcome to the worlds most addicting hobby!

OP
OP
Jonnythack

Jonnythack

Jun 22, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesio/ minelab XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys thanks! It came today so I got to get it our and walk around with it. Found some old toy car parts that my dad had missed with his detector. Going to get it out this weekend. Still trying to play with pro mode. It seems like it's the way to go. Depending on which one is better of the three pro modes is the next thing. Sounds like Zero or coin!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys thanks! It came today so I got to get it our and walk around with it. Found some old toy car parts that my dad had missed with his detector. Going to get it out this weekend. Still trying to play with pro mode. It seems like it's the way to go. Depending on which one is better of the three pro modes is the next thing. Sounds like Zero or coin!

The three modes are just shortcuts to discrimination settings... zero (none), coin (some junk discriminated out), and custom (whatever settings you have set and want to keep)

Iron Discrimination silences iron below the setting shown... when you turn on Iron Audio, you enable iron sounds below that setting, and iron above it becomes a mid tone instead of an iron tone. Not experienced enough at relic hunting to take advantage of "Iron Audio" mode yet.

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps usually ID like a quarter but with jumpy numbers and a scratchy sound at the beginning and end of the tone. But if I'm still not sure, I turn iron audio on for a second and if I hear the iron grunt, I don't dig it cause it's more than likely a bottle cap for sure. Now aluminum bottle caps still fool me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions