Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys and gals,

I am going to an auction next week where there will be 3 detectors up on the block; a Whites DFX, a "like new" Minelab Relic Hawk, and a Minelab Explorer XS. As far as i can tell the bags are with them and they have stock coils. I don't know if any extras are going to be available. Im just curious what a fair price for each would be.
Thanks - inch

Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$400 to $500 for the DFX depending on the condition. Can't help with the others.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I want to know the "Going price" for something like that, I'll hit e-bay and search for the item. Instead of looking at current listings though, on the right hand side, check "Used" under Condition, and then also scroll down and select the box that says "completed listings."

Doing that the range of auction ended prices for a Whites DFX seems to be about $330-$430. Range probably based on both starting price, and condition.

The Minelab Relic Hawk had a sold listing for $380... The Explorer SX seems to go for about $220-$320. Some lower some higher.

Accessories seem to play a large part in the aftermarket value, too... I tried to pull values above based on listings with only the model listed (stock coil...)

Cheers,

Skippy

OP
OP
Inches from Insanity

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!! Im hoping to score a good deal on one if not all three detectors since the auction is on a Thursday and its in a little farming community. (Not to many people interested in the hobby out here in the middle of wheat fields, oil fields, and cattle ranges!!)

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Thanks guys!! Im hoping to score a good deal on one if not all three detectors since the auction is on a Thursday and its in a little farming community. (Not to many people interested in the hobby out here in the middle of wheat fields, oil fields, and cattle ranges!!)

You might be able to get all three real cheap if no one else is interested. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Inches from Insanity

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.....so i went to the auction this morning.

The Minelab Relic Hawk was up first (looked brand new, never been used). It went up to $400.00 and sold so fast i never even had a chance to bid on it.

The Minelab Explorer XLT and Whites DFX came up together as a bid for the choice of the two. I got in on that bidding war and it went to $300.00 with my competition having the last bid and i didn't want to go over $300.00. Then the guy i was bidding against announces he isn't going any higher. The auctioneer looks at me and says "one more and its yours". I bit. Sure enough, I got high bid and my choice of the two. So I chose the DFX, with both the rechargeable battery pack and the penlight battery holder, headphones and a working Merlin SXL Pro pin pointer. The Minelab Explorer was in ROUGH shape. Dirtier than a pig in the trough and the display box was coming apart. At this moment, Im stoked. I got the detector I was after and didn't give an overly high price. Well after further examination, in the back of my van, of my prize, i realize that one of the pins that touches the battery pack is broke off (uh oh) and the penlight battery holder that was in the detector was full of batteries and one of them had exploded, spewing acid all over the battery holder (double uh oh). Great......now I'm thinking "what the hell did I just do?!?!?" Well, right away I call Whites factory and ask for a battery pin, the lady says sure i will get THEM (plural) in the mail,NO CHARGE, tomorrow. Sweet!!!!

OP
OP
Inches from Insanity

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the detector home, opened it up and found nothing else wrong with the control box. Everything looked brand new inside, so I'm hoping a new tab and a good cleaning of the battery holder and I'm good to go, but we will see.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it all works out. That's the thing with buying used, especially in an "as is" format like an auction, never know if you're getting a diamond in the rough or what. I've always heard great things about Whites customer service, so you have that in your favor. Here's hoping the new machine pays for itself before you know it! 8-)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck! I hope the new detector works out for you and it turns out to be a steal!

OP
OP
Inches from Insanity

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i finally got the chance to replace the broken battery pin. I can solder wires fairly well but not so much when it comes to circuit boards so i called my father who is an electronics technician and radio engineer to help. He had it replaced in less time than it took me to open up the control box. Put it all back together plugged in the battery and eureka, my new to me DFX started right up!! Unfortunately it was after dark and i had to get three kids to bed when we finished so i will have to wait for morning to put it through its paces.

I am 38 years old and when the display turned on i was so giddy that i felt like a 7 year old who's favorite toy just got fixed by his daddy. (Yep, Im a dork!!!.....but I love my dad!!!)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it fired up and I hope it works good. Don't let nighttime deter you. Sometimes that's the best time to hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread