stealth rings

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Just a quick note on vwayne's ring found yesterday. Both the MXT I was using and his XLT did not lock on when ring was "standing" sideways. That is to say by looking straight down you saw the "face" of the ring not the hole of the ring. Exactly the same principle our stealth aircraft use. Curved surface does not bounce back as good a signal to receiver. Makes me wonder how many rings have been passed up by relying too much on VDI.

Upvote 0
F

foolserrand

was it a thin ring??I would think a thin ring (with a small face) would register the same as a coin on edge would.

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
If it was like my old E series XLT? it said it was a pull tab or bottle cap, Dont know how much stuff i might have missed with that dam thing, Thats Why I got rid of it. going to stick to my cheapo BH VLF from now on.

F

foolserrand

How did your friend have his xlt set up? Was he using a stock program? How far was the ring from the coil?? Did he use the jewelry program with the preamp up as far as stability would allow? I cant speak for the mxt as I have never used one. I have found a few gold rings with my xlt & they registered in the pulltab/ring-to-penny/screwcap range. No thin rings.... just medium to large rings. But i was always a lazy detectorist when it came to trying to find gold rings.... I never liked digging up trash. And as we all know.... to find the rings ya gotta dig mostly trash.

When i go looking for rings I dig all ring,penny,pulltab,screwcap & foil signals.

AU79 .... I am not sure what you are saying with your last post. Were you implying that because the xlt showed a pulltab or bottlecap (by bottlecap you mean aluminum screwcap right?) that you passed over possible ring finds thinking that the detector was accurately telling you what was exactly in the ground??? ?I dont know of any detector that does that when it comes to gold & trash items.? You DO know that rings register anywhere within the foil-to-penny range dont you?

I can though... understand the simplicity of wanting a detector that doesnt overload you with too much possible information... allowing you to dig a large range of targets thereby allowing you to find more jewelry along with more trash.

The xlt is a very versatile machine that allows you to configure it so that you can get as much .... or a little "possible" info on a target as you want (within reason of course).? It can be a complicated machine to learn for some (or even most). Myself I went from a BH QD II to the xlt ..... I like getting as much possible info on a target as i can.
??

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
Sorry I didn't mean to knock your detector, To each his own ! I guess I was just expecting more out the XLT and felt disappointed that the display wasn't more accurate on small high (kHz) objects for the $500 I spent on it. But I understand that the technology is not quite there yet. It will be interesting to see how the multiband technology progresses.

OP
OP
slow sweeper

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Was not a thin ring. Haven't the slightest idea how his XLT was set up. The MXT was in coin and jewelry. Disc. one notch under factory preset and gain just over factory preset. But we're getting a little too cerebral here. My only point was that even when the ring was on its side, more surface area facing up towards the coil, neither detecter's VDI would lock on. But place the ring flat on the ground, LESS surface area facing up towards the coil both machines would lock on. I don't recal the audio response. My GUESS is that because the larger surface area was curved the electromagnetic field was "sliding" around the ring while the smaller flat surface area was "bouncing back" a stronger signal.
But I have done no other tests on the subject so I don't know if that's always the case. And to be perfectly honest I have no plans to do any more tests. Just one of those odd thoughts that pop up from time to time. Do you think I should seek help?.
They're coming to take me away ha ha.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here's your reality check. Good find! 'nuff said.

Experiment to prove te theory. Take pulltab ring, set it on side and try to detect from similar distance. Turn pulltab flat, try again, notice difference. Cut pulltab, thereby breaking the continuity of this one-turn inductive device. Notice new difference. But no, it's not the same as stealth technology. Stealth technology is what they employed in designing all those gold coins we haven't found yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions