I need advice picking a my next machine please! Deus or Etrac

NEPAMD

Jul 23, 2015
Northeast PA
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Etrac, Safari Previously: Xterra 705, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Im new to the forum but not new to the hobby. I currently have a safari that I use frequently. I am looking to purchase an etrac or deus. I mainly hunt parks (moderate to heavy trash), old homesites, and the beach twice a year. Im younger so weight isnt a huge factor but the deus is appealing. I like my safari for coins in low trash areas. However, it is soooo slow. Would the deus give me the same abilties on coins as the safari? Im used to the safari's tones so I would think the etrac would be a smoother transition. I don't know how it would do in iron areas. I like minelab and im nervous to jump to a new brand, hour input is appreciated! Thank you

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
For God's sake don't buy a Deus.

I have used one exclusively for over a year, and am consistently out hunted by Minelabs machines. One of the guys hunts with 20 year old ML machine, and routinely routes me! You will be disappointed with the machine from France.

The Etrac is the only way to fly (or a CTX). The learning curve will be a snap, as will the general machine operation because of your history with Safari. Etrac's ID capabilities radically outshine the Deus. So it's a wee bit heavier, and has a tiny little cord, but you are already used to that too, so not really issue.

The only Deus upside that I see is that it is cheaper, however, when you re-sell it in 30 days, you will take a bath on it and have to "resave" up some money to get the Etrac... which you should have gotten in the first place.

I hope that this was helpful. Best of luck to you in the field.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In contrast to Tom's post I have to say I find most of it not accurate. At least not my experience.

Yes I do believe the E-Trac has slightly deeper target ID'ing, but not by much when the Deus is setup correctly. The Deus is every bit as deep as the E-Trac but the E-Trac is simpler to use. I hunted along side E-Trac with my Deus and none of them ever hit anything my Deus wouldn't. I think the suggestion that the E-Trac is just a "wee bit heavier" than the Deus is really out there. There is a world of difference between the weight on the E-Trac (3.5 lbs) and the Deus (1.9 lbs). In iron infested sited the Deus is far deeper than the E-Trac.

If I hunted mostly old parks/schools where I expect the coins to be extremely deep and little trash, E-Trac. For anything else I'd go Deus.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright NEPAMD let's check out "Digger's" reply.

First: Digger uses an Etrac. He owned a Deus, but got rid of it. IMO, that is all you need to hear. Actions really do speak louder than words.

Second: "...I'm younger so weight isn't a huge factor..." NEPAMD is a strapping young lad, as he stated. NEPAMD is used the weight of the ML machines. This is a moot point. Just to be accurate, the Deus (w/ 11" coil) weighs in at a kilo (2.2 Lbs.). The Etrac is extremely well balanced and "seems" much lighter than it is.

Third: The target ID on the Etrac is far superior to the Deus. European machines are primarily sound machines, so the Deus is ID capability is quite primitive. ML has had decades to refine their software... and have done a superior job.

I hope that this helps you to make a good choice. Best of luck to you.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both good units that have their advantages. The Etrac has consistent target ID at depth , but requires a slow swing speed in iron trash. The XP Deus reacts faster in trash, but at depth the tones are the key to good finds .The Etrac will do better on a salt beach.

I've used both, my current detectors are XP Deus, CTX3030 and F75LTD.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Tom Tom how it saddens me to know that you have been out in the sun way too long. Over the years I have owned Garretts Whites a good many Fisher machines. I own the Deus and would recommend it. While I don't know if a perfect machine will ever exsist I truly believe experience and getting your coil over good finds is the major factor some people find more than others and not necessarily the latest and greatest machine on the market. I know hunters with older machines that have learned that machine fully and do the reaserch and get permissions and have display cases full of finds. With that said buy a machine and learn it and you will be amazed .

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For God's sake don't buy a Deus.

I have used one exclusively for over a year, and am consistently out hunted by Minelabs machines. One of the guys hunts with 20 year old ML machine, and routinely routes me! You will be disappointed with the machine from France.

The Etrac is the only way to fly (or a CTX). The learning curve will be a snap, as will the general machine operation because of your history with Safari. Etrac's ID capabilities radically outshine the Deus. So it's a wee bit heavier, and has a tiny little cord, but you are already used to that too, so not really issue.

The only Deus upside that I see is that it is cheaper, however, when you re-sell it in 30 days, you will take a bath on it and have to "resave" up some money to get the Etrac... which you should have gotten in the first place.

I hope that this was helpful. Best of luck to you in the field.

:icon_scratch:

OP, read this thread.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/469526-deus-etrac-what-buy-help-please.html

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First: Tom, I am entitled to my opinion.

Second: That opinion may differ from others.

My suggestion: Tom, put on your big boy panties and move on. You don't have to post a rebuttal whenever someone doesn't agree with your opinion. Your opinion is just that, your opinion. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it any more valid or true. I've noticed you have a tendency to have to reply to everyone that has a different opinion than yours.
icon_scratch.gif

OP, read this thread.

Deus, Etrac what to buy. help please.

+1

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, read this thread.

Deus, Etrac what to buy. help please.
Blade runner I saw that too and scratched my head. Is it I love Deus this week if I find something and if I get whooped by another machine Deus stinks..lol

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think this should be a hard decision.....they are both good machines, just different. If you prefer to hunt iron infested cellar holes and such, get the deus and keep the Safari for the beach. If you prefer to hunt for to hunt for deep silver at old parks and such, the etrac is king. If you do it all....you ideally would need both machines to be best equipped.

I do not believe there is a better machine than the etrac for deep silver coins. But i also dont believe there is a better machine than the deus for finding good stuff in nail piles. Dont take anyones opinion on what to buy.....do some research and decide what YOU want. Good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you already own and know the Safari upgrading to an ETrac or better yet the CTX 3030 would be a very, very easy transition....... You want have to learn new detector.....😁👍

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing I came to this party late and missed some things. I'll keep my nose out of others business. :)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
First: Tom, I am entitled to my opinion.

Second: That opinion may differ from others.

My suggestion: Tom, put on your big boy panties and move on.

+1

Thanks for the "big boy panty" suggestion. That was helpful and classy.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion. I agree 100%. Even if they are not correct.

It just seems odd that an Etrac user, would recommend a Deus when he had one, but sold it.

I will move on now.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend the extra money and buy the E-Trac - it will pay for itself in no time, mine did :occasion14:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom it took some time but I finally found the pic I took of you when you found that OD Nickel at 3feet with your Deus. I guess you need a little more depth
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
N

NEPAMD

Jul 23, 2015
Northeast PA
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Etrac, Safari Previously: Xterra 705, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the tips, I really appreciate it. I tried to do as much research as possible, I really think the deus would be good but Im not sure. If i knew it would do as well as the trac on coins I would buy it. I hate running my safari over anything thats not a coin, its so slow giving feedback sometimes. The pinpointing is terrible as well. How is the etrac vs deus in the pin pointing dept? Is the etrac alot faster than my safari? If I made more money I would surely own both! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ETrac is faster than Safari...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-trac is much better on the beach too. It seems to me that with the uses you want to subject your new detector to, The E-trac would do the best overall job of it. The advantage of the Deus as I see it, is the weight, being wireless, and hunting in heavy iron. If those are the most important factors get the Deus, if not, get the E-trac.

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Just saw this thread so I guess I will chime in as I have owned both. I sold my E Trac to get the Deus and it was the best decision I ever made. There is only 2 upsides to the E Trac in my opinion which are the reliability of the VDI and the sounds, in any other aspect the Dues is better. In my hot Va soil the E Tracs depth was horrible, in iron the machine was almost unusable and it was very heavy. I have yet to use the Deus on the beach but the E Trac did well. Hunting yards and parks the E Trac would be better because of the reliability of the VDI but if theres much trash then you are certainly missing targets due to the slow processing and lack of speration. The sounds on the Dues are not as nice as the E Trac but for the gained seperation and speed its well worth the trade off. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread