Inexperienced, need advice.

Mitzki5

Mar 21, 2009
Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro Pointer AT
I have had my Ace 250 for 5 years or so but didn't do much with it. I recently bought the Garrett Pro Pointer AT. Now I am trying to put this equipment to good use. I have permission for a 18 acre property in the country. I did some research for it and the property was settled about 1834. The abandoned house on it is said to be about 125 yrs old. The thing I am finding is that I can't swing the detector without getting multiple different signals. I have found a ton of nails. Should I turn the sensitivity way down and leave on coin setting? What would be the best way to search this place with the Ace 250? Any advice would be appreciated. I would think there could be some interesting stuff here.

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try cranking up the sensitivity up to blank out the iron and junk.... and dig only signals that sound good both ways and targets that don`t very on the display screen
For the older stuff stay in the square nails, as opposed to the more modern round nails just go slow and have fun .
Smaller coils are the right tool here .
Gary

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is normal for old property near buildings. They would replace a roof and the nails just were left on the ground. Move slow and see if you can pick up non iron targets in between the junk. If you have lots of time and unlimited access start removing the junk to see what is under it..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is a place you always have access too, you can just go thru in waves...hunt it for awhile "cherry picking" the coins and when the signals are scarce, start looking for other targets..it will make it alot les frustrating

When I used the Ace, that was my method. You will burn yourself out digging garbage the whole time

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, do the area in "waves" as Diggin says. Start with high discrimination, and 70-percent sensitivity. Grid areas 15'x15' north to south, and then east to west.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, start by cherry picking with high discrimination. Once you find an area with good targets, stake out a small area and then dig everything so you can determine if the rest of the place should be done the same way or if you should keep on "pickin" the high conductors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread