telecaster

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm waiting on the new AT Pro I just purchased....should be here in two days. I used to hunt about 30 years
ago with a White 5000 Di Pro....awesome coin machine. It had what was called the sweet spot....it was the
spot on the coil that pin pointed the coin or relic. If you held a digger tool above that point which about in the center of the round coil...the item would be directly under that spot on the coil. I have been reading a lot on here about the AT Pro...but haven't seen anyone mention the location on the coil under which the coin would be found. I believe my machine comes with a 8 1/2 by 11 DD coil. Was just wondering when the sound under the coil is narrowed down .....under what part of the coil is the item located. Hope that question makes some sense.....tks Bill ....Lebanon Mo.

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, it's the square hole right in front of the coil mount, but it's a little more complicated than that with a DD coil. It does not pinpoint like a normal coil. You'll understand when you get it... better to wait until then.

OP
OP
T

telecaster

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I kind of figured that after I typed so much.....lol. I had to do that with my White detector. They gave you a rough
idea of the hot spot on the coil but told you ....each coil was slightly different and you had to learn the exact spot on your
coil through triail and error.....hey fine with me ...I love the trail and error part....that's how you learn your machine.....
tks again...Bill

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet Bill! There's a great video on YouTube about pinpointing with
the AT Pro.
Best of Luck!

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Using the stock coil, I use the method where you hold the PP button down, and drag the coil backwards till the tone stops. The item will be just under the front tip of the coil.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I've gotten maybe 100 hours on this machine and still struggling with PP. My holes reflect it also. Lol.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get the 5x8 Coil...that thing is dead on..I pretty much could tell EXACLTY where it was when I PP...the Stock coil is a little tricky thou

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With any DD coil if you sweep and pay attention to the target you can get the location pinned down along the coil axis. Then keeping your eye on the ground at that spot sweep from a 90° different direction. You can "triangulate" the target quickly without even entering the pinpoint mode. Then pinpoint quickly for even better results.

The "sweet spot" on a DD coil is narrow but wide. If the target is deep (over 6") and you rely on the tip method you'll likely find the target closer to you (towards the center of the coil) than you originally thought.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually found the ATP to be one of the easier machines to pp with.
DD or not, object signal �� strength seems to be strongest directly under shaft.
If this doesn't work for you, locate target, then slowly back coil away from target till tone stops. It'll be right beneath front of coil.
But, my sweet spot on ATPs, ain't coil location. It's the number 50. Every 14k ring �� I've found, has been plus/minus 5 of 50. Tone hunting is best, but check numbers if needed.
GL
Peace ✌

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the stock coil, I use the method where you hold the PP button down, and drag the coil backwards till the tone stops. The item will be just under the front tip of the coil.
This is completely erroneous. When you hit pin point the target will be loudest directly under the center of the coil. Using the "DD wiggle" without pin point on is when the target will be either directly under the front or back edge of the coil. Telecaster, there is really no "sweet spot" under a DD coil like there was under the concentric coils we all loved and used in the days of yore. When you hit pin point on your ATP there will be what you call a "sweet spot" the target will be loudest and read the best and lie directly under the center of the coil. Garrett does make concentric coils for the ATP that act the same as your old White's, but the machine comes with a DD coil. Concentric coils on most modern machines actually are deeper seeking than the DD coils by a smidgeon, but the DDs cover ground better, are less affected by mineralized soil, and give better target separation than the concentric coils. You will get a training DVD with your machine which will explain pin pointing to you. You can also go to Garrett's site and view the training videos before your machine arrives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread