flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting the dry sand with an Ace 350.. did well with it, but had major problems in the wet sand... rarely found anything at all. Once found a quarter that was pretty deep.

Today I hit the beach with my new AT Pro and while this is probably an easy beach for the pro (ground balances at 12), I found just over $2 in clad in an hour and a half. There was some erosion happening from a recent storm which helped things along. I found mostly late 80's quarters and dimes, in a few inches of water, nearly all about 6 to 8 inches deep. They came in really loud and clear and there was no mistaking a good hit. The fact that they are all from the late 80s tells me erosion was on my side today :)

I couldn't figure out the pro tones very well... I need to spend some time on a test bed. I did finally learn to identify bottle caps.. it's done differently than my Ace 350, although the method I used on my 350 will still work on the pro.

Overall I'm really impressed with the AT Pro. Of course it's not the best salt water detector, but I hunt parks too and it's nice to be able to use one detector for both. I haven't had a chance to try it on my problem beach.. the one that makes my 350 go crazy. I really expected a lot of chatter like I get from my 350 in the water even with sensitivity down really low, but it was pretty stable, and I had the sensitivity one down from max.

I just need to get used to the addition weight of it... it's a bit heavier than the 350.

Today is the first time I found more in the mud than in the dry sand.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent two days last week in laguna bch.with family.I only hunt the beaches a couple times a year so I'm a total noob there.My atp was exceptional in the dry and even damp.in the wet and wading I had to run two down on sens,gb was 84 and while a bit chatty it was obvious when a good target was hit.My first time with a quality long handle scoop too.

killed the clad in one small area,a 925 cross ring,junk earring,and believe it or not a half ring marked 925.Not the best in the wet and I will be getting a dedicated machine...but it worked ok and I had a blast.got a honker tung.carbide in the dry and a first...a pair of cz earrings..bout a foot apart.plated but my daughter loved them so a cool find.

Atp is truly all terrain,just better in some terrains..lol

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice yeah agreed. Not suggesting it's the best salt water machine but it did OK considering it's an everything machine. I am also getting a dedicated machine for salt water, but for now the pro works well enough. No complaints at all! It's actually so much more sensitive than my 350 I'm impressed... I hear faint whispers my 350 would have simply overlooked.

I've heard people say the pro is just an overpriced 250, and I can say definitely that is not the case, they are completely different machines.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent two days last week in laguna bch.with family.I only hunt the beaches a couple times a year so I'm a total noob there.My atp was exceptional in the dry and even damp.in the wet and wading I had to run two down on sens,gb was 84 and while a bit chatty it was obvious when a good target was hit.My first time with a quality long handle scoop too.

killed the clad in one small area,a 925 cross ring,junk earring,and believe it or not a half ring marked 925.Not the best in the wet and I will be getting a dedicated machine...but it worked ok and I had a blast.got a honker tung.carbide in the dry and a first...a pair of cz earrings..bout a foot apart.plated but my daughter loved them so a cool find.

Atp is truly all terrain,just better in some terrains..lol

Your AT Pro ground balanced in the salt water at 84? Mine ground balances between 11 and 15 in salt water at the beach.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try a california beach with visible black sand

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try a california beach with visible black sand

I always thought the salt water brought it down that far. Mine ground balances in the mid 80's on dry soil in Cincinnati Ohio.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread