telecaster

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Other
Got my new AT Pro delivered yesterday......watched the video that came with it and then took it outside to give it a try for the first time. After the first hour I realize this ain't my old White 5000 Di Pro. I never knew there was so much trash in the dirt in my yard. I'm still trying to get the AT Pro to eliminate all the trash
sounds. I can pick out the good sounds from the bad, learned to listen to sounds my White instead of watching the meter. My ears work much better than my eyes at my age....lol. I saw on the video from Garrett it takes about 100 hours of use to really learn the machine.....Yep I can now see they are right. Now to learn to eliminate some of the ground trash noise and to pin point. LOL learning curve.

Upvote 0

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the first few times make sure you do not have it set on pro, after awhile you will switch back to pro and love your machine!

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Got mine a couple of week's ago and still working on learning it. Took it out 3 times now. The ATP was an upgrade from the ACE 350. So far very happy with it. Happy Hunting!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my wife is finally swinging her atp,she loved her f2 and the atp sat for months.I taught her pro mode zero with 35 iron descrim,iron audio off and ground balanced.she is kicking but with it after like 4 hunts and isnt looking back.It gives soooo much more info than lesser models,dont let that concern you.you will learn its language quickly and apreciate the added info.

definately set up a test garden in the yard and spend some time learning its reactions,then go to a park and see if you can reproduce the results.

good luck !!!

OP
OP
T

telecaster

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Lebanon Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Other
Have tried several times in my yard. I live on a big old farm. Tons and tons of trash. At least that is what I am
hearing an digging. Have only used my new AT Pro about 3 hours so far. I'm getting to know the good sounds
a little better but so far they are buried in with a lot of trash sounds....and learning to pin point with the stock
coil is driving me nuts....lol. But I'll get it. When I started 30 years ago with the Whites coinmaster I didn't learn
it overnight either.

tbaudoin

Jul 17, 2015
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got schooled a bit on my new AT Pro. I started out in Pro, after working with it 3-4 times in my backyard. Today, I met some friends for a hunt in some high traffic public ground. After about 4-5 digs of what I thought was a good target, I decided to switch to STD for a bit. Hit 2 good targets (penny & quarter) in the next 4/5 holes. Not sure, but I believe I need some more time going back and forth between modes. Now, I will say, it always found something!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pro mode can be a bit confusing at first... but listen... don't use discrimination... have a glance at the numbers. You'll start picking it up!

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my ATP last August.
I set it in Pro Mode, disc set at 34-36 and never looked back.
This seems to be the best way to do it - take off the training wheels and go PRO. :)

I found it easier to learn it in Pro Mode than I would have otherwise. It will take a little getting used to but since its a new machine you may as well set
it up for the way you will be using it mostly

Last edited:

Remnar

Oct 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also in the process of learning my new ATPRO. I went Pro mode zero and did ok. I decided to try pro mode coin and the level of discrimination helped me better learn which targets to dig. The down side is that with the coin modes disc settings you cut out some gold in order to help cut out the pull tabs. After 2 hunts with coin mode I feel like I have learned what a good coin signal is. From here on out I plan to go back to Pro zero with iron disc set at 35 and learn even more.

If it's a repeatable target with a somewhat stable VDI after swinging on it from multiple directions I'm going to dig it.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRust me people! Once you know your machine its a killer! If u have a small coil its amazing how it picks up good targets from iron trash and other junk! I have mine now for like 1 year and 4 months (a little over 300 hours of use). Learn it then dig it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread