Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got home from work just as the package delivery was being placed at my front door...........
Didn't even bother pulling around to the back of the house..........until I saw my wife retrieve the box.
Unfortunately, I've had other work to do every evening cleaning up our rental property, so...........
It's now 10:30 pm and I'm just getting ready to open a new world/experience/hobby/addiction............

Lots to learn................

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11:30 pm..........
Read the paperwork, assembled and turned on..........
One thing I know for sure.............it finds the primitive nails in my hardwood floor...........:laughing7:
Hope I have time to let it see the light of day tomorrow...........

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Tesoro Cibola. Been a fine machine so far. I have enough hours with it (about 75-80) that I'm finally starting to understand it very well. Give it time. It will find things very deep. Hunted on a horse farm a couple of weeks ago and found a small piece of horse tack that had to be at least 10" down. Don't forget to check out the Tesoro-specific forum, too:

Tesoro subforum

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks..........took it out on the lawn this evening with a handful of different coins to get a feel...........tried different settings, and.........the good news is that I didn't loose any coins............

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of heavy work schedule and cleaning up our rental property (daughter and family moved out of state ), I haven't found time to dig any holes........until today........took the Compadre out in the front yard for 15 minutes and dug 3 holes. First hole produced 2 Washington quarters (1974, 1983), second a 1974 Lincoln cent and the third, a screw...........well, it's a start..............

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round 2 today with the Compadre.........another 30 minute hunt in the yard. Dug a deep hole along a garage and discovered an old metal pail. Handle was still attached on one side. It was too deep to retrieve, although I did try.........dug out part of the inside and part of the arc on the south side. Hole number 2 yielded a piece of crumpled scrap aluminum. Hole number 3 was a tire balancing weight............
Rain tomorrow, so I'll try after the ground gets a soaking.............

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4th hunt with the Compadre today.......a quick 30 minutes in the back yard after supper..........

4th Hunt.jpg

It ain't much, but I'm learning.............

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great machine, take your time and it will talk to you, right now its a language you may not understand.
I have the Tesoro Cibola and loving every min of it.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.........

A question for you all.........I began searching with my discrimination in about the 3 o'clock position (a suggestion I read on a thread) and wasn't getting much feedback from the MD. I changed to the high noon position and have had some better signals and targets to dig...........
Where would the optimum setting be for a beginner?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A question for you all.........I began searching with my discrimination in about the 3 o'clock position (a suggestion I read on a thread) and wasn't getting much feedback from the MD. I changed to the high noon position and have had some better signals and targets to dig...........

I'd recommend that if someone is just starting out, discriminate out pull tabs, at least to keep your sanity :). Really, though, it's whatever setting you think is working for you and where you are having fun. Generally, having fun means you are finding enough keepers per hour/day/etc to keep you interested. Make sense? :D

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm going to disagree with Chizzy (not that there's a "wrong" way to start... just go!), but I think you'll save yourself in the long run by learning what you're digging with the discrimination set only to remove iron.

I also think you'll appreciate the first time you find a Tungsten, Titanium, or Gold ring that you weren't "Practicing" with discrimination too high. :)

Cheers!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set disc just below nickel and dig all repeatable signals. You can practice thumbing the disc knob on targets to try and identify what you're about to dig, but most of the time I just go ahead and pop the target out and get a pleasant surprise every one in a while. If you want to find gold/platinum jewelry you have to dig pull tabs there's no way around it, even with the most expensive VDI machine. If you get tired of digging mid conductors just set disc up to 3 o'clock and look for clad/ silver targets!

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5th time out to the backyard for 40 minutes...........discriminate at 12 noon...........
Too bad glass shards aren't in great demand.........the bottom of my bucket is about covered.........:laughing7:

5th Hunt.jpg

That piece of copper wire had me going for a while...........looked just like some of the other roots in the patch of earth I was digging!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time to get out and hit some woods, farm fields, baseball outfields, soccer fields!!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5th time out to the backyard for 40 minutes...........discriminate at 12 noon...........
Too bad glass shards aren't in great demand.........the bottom of my bucket is about covered.........:laughing7:

View attachment 1205361

That piece of copper wire had me going for a while...........looked just like some of the other roots in the patch of earth I was digging!!

When I was first starting out, I was hunting a park and kept finding pieces of wire like that one in your picture (although they were not copper). After digging up about the 5th one, I realized they were scraps from when the baseball field's chainlink fence was installed :BangHead: LOL. I finally wised up and hunted another part of the park.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to get out and hit some woods, farm fields, baseball outfields, soccer fields!!

"......woods, farm fields......" Yes, I agree and have that urge to detect a few isolated historic spots. Still perfecting my hole filling technique to attempt public areas, unless they are surface finds. And, I have been given permission by several of my clients that have old homestead lands............

Thanks for the encouragement.........

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was first starting out, I was hunting a park and kept finding pieces of wire like that one in your picture (although they were not copper). After digging up about the 5th one, I realized they were scraps from when the baseball field's chainlink fence was installed :BangHead: LOL. I finally wised up and hunted another part of the park.

I can empathize..........lol. Just shows me how badly I need a pointer.............

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt number 6 in a grassy parking area of a local park for another 40 minutes. Found 2 dimes and 3 cents immediately. Won't bore you with another ho-hum picture. I've posted a couple for practice with the new phone camera...........
Summation of the balance of the hunt.......pull tabs, bottle caps and foil ended in a 4 all tie........was too tired to go extra innings...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread