md tools question

tony24

Feb 27, 2005
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236 x2, cibola,BH quickdraw 2
hello everone

I am new this board but not md. I currently dont have a md but I just bought a quickdraw 2 on ebay. I just wanted something cheap for now to take down to the beach in march for a week. I wanted to buy a higher end unit but I have bills and I am rebuilding my engine right now. But my question is whats the difference between digging tools. I know obviously the quality. I must of went through like 5 dollar store shovels last year. I saw alot of people using lesch digging tools and they swear by them. But what is the main advantage of lesch abosed to 5 dollar canadian pointed shovels? And also what sand scoop would you recommend for the beach? short handle or long ?

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I haven't used either but five, five dollar shovels=$25 plus tax, time, down time, etc.

The other tool, about $40 and I doubt that you could break it!

You definately need something with a strong "back" since most of our digging tools really become prying tools at some point.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
You can get a long-handled wire mesh scoop if you're not digging in rough, hard or stoney sand. ?It will work great for general beach hunting and is not too expensive, check some of the online shops or a local dealer. ?The Lesche is a fine tool for specific applications, but the more varied your detecting habits, the less important it is. ?If you're going to do all around digging then you're going to end up fabbing some gear and buying low-cost alternatives for others.

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I am actually going to use a trapping trowel.
trowel2.jpg
I like one with a D-handle best. You can but the handle and put it on yourself or buy a trowel with one already attached. These are super heavy duty, I use them trapping and dig many holes a year with one and they last for years. mine has a narrower blade which makes it easier to dig smaller holes, down to 3" diameter.

mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be intrested to know how the narrow connection from the handle to the blade holds up, in our PA soil. I'll be looking for an update in the fall. ; MAY have to get me one for next year ; jeff

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
holds up great. it is a 3/8" solid steel rod welded to the blade and to the cone that is attached to the handle. it is a super heavy duty trowel.

mike

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Tony24: I think you've already answered your own question. Five trowels in a year versus one in a lifetime. I tried several other trowels, digging knives, etc. simply because I just couldn't believe that the Lesche was that good. I was wrong. It is an excellent recovery tool for detectorists, and now that my wife has found out about it, it's getting double duty as her preferred gardening tool! As far as sand scoops I'm probably not the one to ask. Since I can only manage to get to the beach about once a year, I just bought a cheapie yellow plastic one with a short handle. Works good for me, but if I were hunting much on the beach, or with the coil submerged in the water, I'd go for a premium metal scoop with the long handle for working underwater. I also have a yellow coin probe with a pistol-grip type handle. It's 10" long and I got it from Ron at Ron's AAA/Dixie Metal Detectors. It's a great probe for coins. I smoothed down the point a bit on my bench grinder, roughed up the side of the tip about 1" up on the tool and applied a two-part plastic epoxy which keeps me from scratching older, more valuable coins. When the coating starts to wear off, I can just sand the old coating a bit and apply a new coat right over it. Works great. Hope this helps.

Also, if you want some tips on the QDII with regard to beach hunting, go on over to the Bounty Hunter Forum at http://www.detecting.com. There is a fellow from Barbados who beach hunts with the QDII and has found a way to make it work in the wet salt with a groundbalance trick. Still a bit of minor falsing, but it really stablized the unit and allowed him to get into the wet stuff. BBJ

Biggunshunter

Jan 25, 2005
North Augusta SC
Hey T24
I use a Lesche trowel for most general purpose hunting (yards, parks, schools) and it is an awesome tool. I've had mine for around 5 years and it's been worked really hard and hasn't bent or worn down at all. I like the short handled metal beach scoop though most people I know like the long handle, they think it gives them better leverage. If I go to a site that's being cleared I use a regular shovel with a short handle. Just some preferences.HH

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
there is no way I would pay $60 for a tool I could make for under $10 easily. Then again I am a welder and I have been making stuff for years.

mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread