Why Gold Doesnt Ring up as Gold: AKA - Why you should dig more "trash."

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why Gold Doesn't Ring up as Gold: AKA - Why you should dig more "trash."

All,

While replying to a "Today's Finds" poster, I realized this is good information to share with others.

The question I'm posting (and answering) here is this, "Why does the gold I dig up not register as gold?!"

Simply put, unless the jewelry is 24K, or ".999," it's NOT PURE.
22K = 91.67%
18K = 75%
14K = 58.33%
12K = 505
10K = 41.7%
9K = 37.5%

If it's not 24K gold, it's an ALLOY. This is the reason gold will bounce on your readouts.

Take for example, a 10K gold ring. 10K is just 41.7% gold. This of course, means that 58.3% of the weight of the ring is made from other metals. For a typical 10K ring (such as a class ring), the other metals vary, but the primary alloy is likely copper. It's not uncommon to have some silver, and very likely some nickel or zinc is included, which adds hardness. The result of such an alloy is a ring that bounces ALL OVER the metals detected readout.

In short, such a ring will bounce between foil, nickel, gold, and copper, making it look like a piece of trash!

The purer the gold, the more likely the ring will stabilize in the gold readout range. White gold, which contains a lot of nickel, rings the most solid for me in the gold range (in which nickel is smack in!) Personally, I've found that 14K bands bounce only a little, 10K bounces a lot for me, and the one 9K ring I pulled out, I swore was just going to be trash. Only one 8.6 gram 14K mens ring rang solid... and it was at the nickel range with zero bounce. I believe this was largely due to the orientation of the ring in the ground (flat with hole parallel, making for a great target), and the size of the ring. It rang up just like any nickel would.

With all that bouncing, I've personally given up trying to only "Find gold," and I simply dig it all. I've been rewarded with 6 gold rings this year. To be sure, I'm also rewarded with thousands of bits of trash and pulltabs! :)

My best find was 4.5 inches deep, and I know this area has been hit repeatedly by detectorists over the years... that particular ring bounced between the nickel and copper range, and totally looked like a piece of trash. The thing is, I know many detectorists won't dig up what looks like trash on the read out. Given the depth, and the personal knowledge that this area is hit regularly by detectorists, I'm certain every other detectorist thought it was trash... Heck, I thought it was trash! Even when I pulled it out, I was still thinking "costume jewelry." That ring came out to be valued at over $4K. Once I found it, I went back and cleaned 100% of the trash out of the area, and was even rewarded with a second gold ring... 14K yellow gold plain band. Also bounced like trash...

The point here is, with alloys, you never can tell, and it's worth digging a little bit extra.

EDIT: this should NOT be construed as "if you dig 1000 pull-tabs you're guaranteed a gold ring.." In fact, a lot of this comes down to location! If there's no jewelry to be found, digging a million pull-tabs doesn't do you any good. But if you're in the area where jewelry is likely to be, don't be afraid to dig erratic signals! The most erratic signal I ever dug turned out to be a silver cross with 14K Black hills gold, with a silver chain... That thing was ALL OVER the map... :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By then my collection of clad will be worth more than a ring.

Your collection of clad is probably already worth more than the ring.

The last gold ring I dug was a nice 2.4 gram 14K band. The melt value is only ~$50. 75% of spot makes it less than $40 to go sell. I imagine you've cleared that in clad by now. :)

I've sold 5 gold rings for $300. I've made over $450 in clad in the same period. The only saving grace I've got is the 81 diamond band that I found that's worth north of $4000.

Clad adds up. Folks laugh at the park when I pick up dimes and nickels. They don't laugh when I tell them I've cleared $400 doing it. Then they laugh again, when I tell them it comes out to about $1.80 an hour to pick up trash. :)

It comes down to this... it's a hobby, and the ONLY one I've ever had that I've made money doing!

Skippy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found gold yet, but if I am digging pull tabs and bottle caps at 10" then clearly I am not going to find gold.

If I am digging deep crusty quarters, or better yet, fishing sinkers, things are looking good assuming I am in the right spot where there is a lot of people with jewelery going for a swim etc.

Problem is, I guess I haven't found the right spot, more more likely my spot is being hit hard by those more experienced (you know who you are lol). I've even been hitting the sand bars and the low area between sand bar and shore at low tide, along with the wet and dry sand and nothing yet! I figure even a stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day so it's just a matter of time. By then my collection of clad will be worth more than a ring.
Having a better machine for the wet sand and water would increase your odds, but, your 350 should be able to find gold in the dry sand. Hit the blanket line around sunset when everyone starts leaving for the day. You'll get gold.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your collection of clad is probably already worth more than the ring.

The last gold ring I dug was a nice 2.4 gram 14K band. The melt value is only ~$50. 75% of spot makes it less than $40 to go sell. I imagine you've cleared that in clad by now. :)

I've sold 5 gold rings for $300. I've made over $450 in clad in the same period. The only saving grace I've got is the 81 diamond band that I found that's worth north of $4000.

Clad adds up. Folks laugh at the park when I pick up dimes and nickels. They don't laugh when I tell them I've cleared $400 doing it. Then they laugh again, when I tell them it comes out to about $1.80 an hour to pick up trash. :)

It comes down to this... it's a hobby, and the ONLY one I've ever had that I've made money doing!

Skippy
Much as I hate to sound like an old fart (which I guess I am! :laughing7:), back in 1970 when I started as a teenager, minimum wage was $1.60hr. I was making a whopping $1.85 and hour, but, I could make more metal detecting! Add to that the fact that half my finds were silver and wheats. More than once I was asking myself why I was working in the first place! These days, we're lucky to find gas money to get us there and back.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much as I hate to sound like an old fart (which I guess I am! :laughing7:), back in 1970 when I started as a teenager, minimum wage was $1.60hr. I was making a whopping $1.85 and hour, but, I could make more metal detecting! Add to that the fact that half my finds were silver and wheats. More than once I was asking myself why I was working in the first place! These days, we're lucky to find gas money to get us there and back.

And that's why I typically stay local... I've thought about driving to the next cities, but the gas cost is prohibitive...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still need to expand your horizons occasionally. It's always fun to detect someplace new.....even if you don't find anything valuable.

glenn3564

Greenie
Apr 11, 2015
Near Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro w/8.5x11 dd coil/5x8 dd coil
Minelab Safari w/Nel 5.5x9.5 dd coil/stock 10 minelab/SEF
18x15 coil
Garrett Pinpointer/Deteknix Xpointer
Hunt Wilde digger/Gator Digg
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found a 14K gold necklace 4" in wet black mud below grass that was consistently hitting 12/06 from all directions.
I also found a small gold band, don't know the k as too small to have one (looks like a baby toe ring) that was all over the
place within 50 yards but again, it was consistently 11 or 12 on fe and as low as 03 on co. and as high as 10 on co.. fe/co
numbers have so many factors that affect those numbers it's impossible to say "there is an area" of numbers that you should
dig that corresponds with gold. Tom in Ca put it about as plainly as one can. If you are at the "juke joint", don't even hope to
find gold in all those pull tabs. Silver and copper yes. If you are at the family campground or on the beach, dig it all. You will
be able to determine in a short time on the beach where there was a party, or a group of ladies drinking sodas. Move a few feet
further away before you start looking for gold again. I found a gold banded diamond ring that appraised at $3550.00 with my
Safari but I was in an old private residence area of the beach. I have found jewelry around the more popular areas but they were
hitting like coins, mostly silver. I also want to say all my experience has been with the ACE 350 fantastic machine for the money,
GTI 1500, ATPro (I still have), Safari (I still have), and as of 8/1/15 a new CTX3030, (what a machine). The $3500.00 ring found
with the Safari, the other 2 gold necklace and small ring was yesterday with the 3030 in a park inland. Don't anyone mistake that
the ACE350 on up, all that I have owned are just as capable at finding the good stuff. Your most import tool is knowledge of where
you are looking and a darned good shovel and sweat band.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Skippy. It is for this reason I prefer no screen at all. Trust your ears and your instincts on what to dig. I still use my explorer and watch the screen to try to guess what the target will be, but tone overrides the screen for me every time. Even then the vast amount of tones that gold can make still fools me. One example I like to use is a cluster diamond ring I dug using the excal, made the same sound a foil ketchup pack would make. A very distinct sound. What caused this ring to sound that way, it had broken near the mount. The reason I got that ring (my wife got that ring) is I was digging it all that day. I'm sure many here will agree, as we start to tire out, it gets tough to dig those targets we know are crap. I guess that's where the luck part kicks in. Kevin

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the hardest things to overcome......digging trash sounds when you're tired. We all tend to get lazy at that point.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You still need to expand your horizons occasionally. It's always fun to detect someplace new.....even if you don't find anything valuable.

I do hit the nearby cities, every once in a while...my experiences have not been that great. Cities in both directions have permit systems for metal detectorists... while I have the permits, it always amazes me how much my own city's parks are NOT hit by detectorists, but when I go to the other cities, evidence of hunting is everywhere.

I think I live in the sweet zone.

For example, this Saturday, my son and I went to a nearby city for a park tour. We did 8.5 hours of hunting (minus a quick trip to A&W for lunch). While the trip was TOTALLY valuable in dad-son time, we barely cleared $8 between the two of us in the time slot, with ZERO jewelry found. Locally, if I'd put in 8 hours, I suspect I'd have had at least a ring or two... Over half the parks we went to were obviously hunted (still had hole marks)... and the others were nearly devoid of targets... Both of us discussed it, and while we're definitely going to go out and try new places, we probably won't be back there for at least a year.

There's around us of great age... so for us, it's about finding clad and jewelry. And hanging out. We do a lot of that. :)

Skippy

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Skippy. It is for this reason I prefer no screen at all. Trust your ears and your instincts on what to dig. I still use my explorer and watch the screen to try to guess what the target will be, but tone overrides the screen for me every time. Even then the vast amount of tones that gold can make still fools me. One example I like to use is a cluster diamond ring I dug using the excal, made the same sound a foil ketchup pack would make. A very distinct sound. What caused this ring to sound that way, it had broken near the mount. The reason I got that ring (my wife got that ring) is I was digging it all that day. I'm sure many here will agree, as we start to tire out, it gets tough to dig those targets we know are crap. I guess that's where the luck part kicks in. Kevin

It's not luck when you're strategy was to "Dig it all that day." :) You upped the odds of running into something by doing that. It's not for me everyday, either (digging it all), but when I DO decide to do it, it's typically location based... Did you decide to dig it all based on where you were, or just to change it up?!

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy, Yes, digging it all that day was based on location. I was chest deep on a sandbar, and wandered to a weedy spot that had lots of coins, so dug it all with the hope something was hiding in the trash. That day it was.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your most import tool is knowledge of where you are looking and a darned good shovel and sweat band.

Ain't that the truth!!

And... Getting there before some other MDer does. LOL I spent this last weekend chasing holes, I think.. was pretty lousy.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy, Yes, digging it all that day was based on location. I was chest deep on a sandbar, and wandered to a weedy spot that had lots of coins, so dug it all with the hope something was hiding in the trash. That day it was.

That just boggles my brain. I just can't seem to want to get in the water. Seemed SO SLOW compared to land searching. Of course, I was using a modified water box over my ACE350...and I found a single Quarter. Might be more fun with something designed for water. LOL

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That just boggles my brain. I just can't seem to want to get in the water. Seemed SO SLOW compared to land searching. Of course, I was using a modified water box over my ACE350...and I found a single Quarter. Might be more fun with something designed for water. LOL
Yep, water is not for everyone, we have such a short season up here, and to make it worst, it's been a cold summer. As late I've been wearing the top of a 5mm wetsuit just to stay warm. But because of these conditions, there remains lots of untapped areas to hunt. The place I'm working now is a result of watching people's activities while I hunt. I was detecting a beach and seen some long distance swimmers wade through a mucky weedy area that got about neck deep, next time I see them they are farther out standing in waist deep water. I checked this out and find the area is stacked with coins. It pays to be observent of what people are doing ang their habits, just as you proved watching people around the tree. Kevin

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It pays to be observent of what people are doing ang their habits, just as you proved watching people around the tree. Kevin

Oh man, I'm finding I can't drive around parks anymore without looking where people are sitting with their chairs, towels, etc. And it's probably the first year in my WHOLE LIFE, I'm looking forward to football season... Those public neighborhood parks are going to fill up! woot! woot!

Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread