Get your detector and head to...Lake Mead

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438807910.818953.jpg
...in today's paper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow- simply wow...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't do it, considered a historical/archeological site. Covered under several laws preventing digging, MDing, and disturbing the site. I've seen articles on this exact location and how the rangers are ticking folks out there attempting to dig.

Would be fun though. :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bummer :(

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I've seen articles on this exact location and how the rangers are ticking folks out there attempting to dig.....

Skippy, just curious: Do you have any links to such "tickets" for someone who detected at Lake Mead? I mean, versus a mere "scram" or whatever ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From your link. Article is from 2003......"This year 13 citations have been issued, four for violating preservation laws and two for using metal detectors. The penalty is a $100 to $500 fine and a maximum of six months in jail. In egregious cases felony charges can be pressed, with a $10,000 fine and maximum of 10 years in prison."

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, alright...
"Park officials hope that getting the word out about the need to preserve this history will help stem the thefts. They are asking locals to work with them in monitoring the site and educating others about its value.

"My belief is the more we educate the public of its history, they won't want to steal from it," Collup said. "I believe we are successful in getting the word out to visitors."

Rangers encourage any visitors who see people with metal detectors or trying to take artifacts to call them at (702) 293-8998."

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few ruin It for ALL... Dig a hole... Cover the hole... Takes even less time to cover than to dig....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
An article from 2003 lists 2 who actually got ticketed for md'ing. I wonder if there's more explanation than that ? Ie.: like, persons who couldn't take a warning, being obnoxious, etc..... Perhaps they truly didn't know, and perhaps there was nothing to clue them in to their mistake (ie.: signs, warnings, etc...). In any case, sure: There's always gonna be fluke stories of persons getting "roughed up" for something in the news.

As for what Bquamb writes, I had to chuckle: because the archie apparently was ONLY made-wise to this *horrible* crime, by the holes. Hmmm, ok, then if the md'rs had been more careful (no trace to bug that single person in 1,000,000 that cares less), then perhaps we wouldn't be reading this in the first place ? Durned those guys who left holes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a National Recreation Area, they set the rules.....Many do not allow detecting at all....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread