Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4. The peace of nature. Excepting the tones of the machine (which I find at least a little pleasing, especially the higher ones😊) the places I tend to dig now range from charming old colonial homes to the forest. There is in my neck of the U.S. natural beauty in abundance. Sometimes I'll turn everything off and just listen to the wind, or a brook, or will watch uncut grass ripple and sway in the breeze. The other day, I surprised a porcupine, and got to see him climb a tree. There's an old orchard I have access to, and can happily munch apples as I watch the sun make its way across the sky. These moments of tranquility and connection with creation sustain me.

3. The thrill of discovery. To reach into the past and see forgotten things of value brought up to the light of day...wow! The moment (it's only happened 3x to me) of seeing that shine of silver peeking out of dirt, unsullied by the years...I know this community feels it! Man, to unearth things that might otherwise NEVER have been found!! I'm aware that, for whatever reason, my brain is wired for treasure. Lots of other things light me up and fill me with contentment, but when I found that pouch of 12 coppers earlier this summer, I had a whole body pleasure rush that I just know is what makes addiction. Those dopamine cascades are wild! But when combined with some self-restraint and all the other good stuff about this peculiar hobby, those experiences of discovery just become nice punctuation marks to an otherwise happy life.

2. Falling in love with history, one object at a time. This summer, this hobby went from a mildly entertaining/frustrating and very occasional thing to feeling like a time traveler 4-6 hours a week. Finding those coppers reoriented my entire view of things, and ignited a genuine passion for history. While I'd always enjoyed learning, and how facts connect with larger cultural themes, suddenly holding objects from another time and person connected me intimately, viscerally, with the past. Now, every object feels like a portal through time. From learning of the British oppression of colonists through restricting monetary supply, to imagining the toil of a homesteader using the primitive tools I've found to carve a life out of a landscape we still find a little hard to live in, I'm in awe of what the past has to teach me, and humbled in the best way by how very little I know.

1. The opportunity to practice the qualities which mean the most to me. There is a greedy little piggy in me, and I get to work on him by being principled in my treasure seeking. This hobby affords me the chance to treat others the way I want to be treated. To be honest, ethical, trustworthy, and generous. I am transparent and considerate about permissions, honor agreements, and I give freely. This is the first year I've found things worth hundreds of dollars, and it was great to pass the test of overruling a little Golem voice in my head, which suggested that no one had to know...it could all be mine! This trustworthiness has led to deeper relationships and new connections, as well as more opportunities. By loaning my key finds to a historical society for all to share, they now want me to present on metal detecting and what I've found, and to dig at more sites! It is important to keep perspective on what is truly valuable in my life...oddly enough, finding other people's treasures of the past has allowed me to become more in tune with the better aspects of my spirit and the goodness of my relationships in the present. Now that is real wealth.

Would love to hear from others about what they love about this hobby!

Upvote 0

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Z.K.- You and I sound like kindred spirits. I found myself nodding enthusiastically to each of you four points. For me, I cherish the opportunity to be out in nature ( preferrably early in the morning), and soak in the peace and quiet. I often will bring my camera, and have managed to take some pretty wonderful photos in my travels. The world is a busy, noisy place. Having the chance to get off on my own for a few hours each week helps to restore my sanity. HH

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You basically summed it up buddy. Good job:occasion14:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a ring hunter, this hobby is wife approved. Just let her have first pick of your gold and you pretty much can hunt when and where you want. How many hobbies can a person do that. Gotta love it.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My number one answer... THE CHICKS!

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta agree with ya! Being out in nature though is my #1 and I enjoy it whether I'm MD'ing or floating on the river in my kayak. Just got my Garrett carrott so I'll be MD'ing the river soon. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your 4 things (although I might change the order of importance a bit! :laughing7:) and would add a couple more in my case. 5. I love the competition between myself and my detecting buddies. A friendly rivalry for best find is a great motivator. 6. I also have a love for researching and returning lost items of a personal or historic nature. Finding the person who lost a wedding ring or family heirloom is just as much fun as finding the item itself. Even simple and inexpensive items like dog (canine) tags or house keys can be satisfying to return.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My number one answer... THE CHICKS!
I know what you mean....the eye candy at the beach in the summer just about puts me into a diabetic shock!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely said, and clearly well thought out.

Personally, I love the peace the "beep beep" rhythm affords me. I can think about work and life in between the finds... and it helps me stay centered on what's most important in life (while sometimes ignoring it, methinks, by being out detecting. LOL)

I also LOVE the dopamine rush of a great find. I'm pretty sure that's what makes an addict an addict. I can hardly wait for my next "hit," albeit is just a tone I'm seeking, not a pill! :)

Skippy

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your 4 things (although I might change the order of importance a bit! :laughing7:) and would add a couple more in my case. 5. I love the competition between myself and my detecting buddies. A friendly rivalry for best find is a great motivator. 6. I also have a love for researching and returning lost items of a personal or historic nature. Finding the person who lost a wedding ring or family heirloom is just as much fun as finding the item itself. Even simple and inexpensive items like dog (canine) tags or house keys can be satisfying to return.
-edited to include quote

Your number 6 is great!

I briefly considered a different number arrangement; it isn't like I head out the door in a rush to improve myself!!! :happysmiley: but that's where the big compass points, so...

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos, the best post I've read in a while.
God bless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread