Opinions?

Mitzki5

Mar 21, 2009
Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro Pointer AT
I have an Ace 250. Haven't done a ton of detecting in the past but now that I have a pin pointer, I find it so much more enjoyable. My understanding is that the Ace 250 is kind of a beginner level detector. Is there a huge difference in the detectors at the next level up? Seems to me that something like the Garrett AT Pro would be the next step up. What are your thoughts and is it worth the extra money to step up? Thanks

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After I put a few hundred hours on my 350, I went to the AT Pro... The learning curve is a lot easier, as it is similar to the Ace series...

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro would be a great next step. Do your wallet a favor a make a few phone calls to our supporting vendors to see what they can really sell a new detector to you for. Since you now have a pinpointed, I assume you have a digging tool and a bag or pouch of some sort. If you will be hunting places with more than tolerable trash, I would highly suggest you get the slightly smaller DD could, I think it is an 8 inch. The target separation is amazing, and the depth difference is not tragic.

If you do want a whole package deal, still call some of our vendors. The price may be quite a surprise. Enjoy!

I do like my AT Pro. Have not taken it swimming yet, but its day is coming.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
night and day between even the 350 and the atp...completely differant machines.the atp is quite a step up and well worth the investment.I have the 5x8 dd on mine and it is an amazing set up in trashy areas.very capable in iron infested areas,and can handle highly mineralised ground easily.

recently got another for my wife as an upgrade to her f2(much like the 250 in abilities)from wayne at fort bedford detectors,a supporting vendor here at t-net.HIGHLY recomend giving him or any of our vendors here a call.they really take care of us in both price and service,you cant go wrong.

btw...now that my wife is comfortable with her atp her keeper to trash ratio has improved in a huge way.her jewelery count way up.she is hooked on the pro now.

good luck..:occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on your type of detecting. If you're just hitting sandy tot lots and digging everything, you don't really need a higher end machine. Deep targets in iron infested ground is a different story. Wet sand at the beach, you're in a totally different ball game and neither one of the two you mentioned would be a good choice.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT Pro will give you better iron discrimination, ground balance capabilities for better depth in mineralized ground, target ID numbers and a waterproof housing. It' a great step up from your current detector.

Wayne

Metal Detecting Stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread