Need help choosing a metal detector that is being given to me!

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My little cousin is moving to Alaska and has 2 metal detectors, but wants to give me one since I have never metal detected. She called me today and told me to come over this week and I could pick one of the 2 and she would give it to me. One is a Garrett and the other is a Tesoro. Both units are used in excellent condition and around 2-3 years old I believe. I cant recall the model of the Tesoro but the Garrett is an AT PRO, I think. I have never used a metal detector before and really need some advice and guidance on which unit to choose. Help please , because I have no idea which is better, if either is even any good, and eventually which one to choose.

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both are excellent choices, but she's giving only one away..., and
I own a Tesoro Cibola, and love it, but it doesn't do all the tricks that the
Garrett AT Pro will do, so I'd suggest asking for that....

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a much harder decision then you think. Each will require you put in some time for the learning curve but both offer many differences. I would choose the pro but would want to take them both for a test drive.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At Pro... more versatile and better technical support and service from Garrett, even second hand

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my AT Pro, it's a fantastic machine, quite sensitive, lite weight, more coils that have fantastic options, great portability and it's got great modes (6) to choose from.

Tesoro are amazing as well, but don't think it would be of same quality unless quite an upgraded model. The aTP is waterproof too might I add.

OP
OP
K

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess I am going to bury some coins, tabs, nails, a 1 gram nugget and other assorted junks and test them both out behind the house.

Heck will the Garrett even pick up gold nuggets?

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a 18khz at gold, much easier yes, it may have a bit of a difficult time on a super small 1g nugget but I would hazard a guess that it would read it, might jump a bit or show low on the VdI scale for size, but it's gold so I bet it would show. No clue to the Tesoro eh?

OP
OP
K

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no gotta call my cousin tomorrow and drive out there to look at them again get exact model numbers and make sure they function. All I do know for sure is . One of them was a very advanced high dollar detector when purchased. The cheaper one was my cousins and the more upgraded/expensive one was my uncle's who has passed away.

One of them is coming home with me tomorrow! Even if I end up choosing the lower unit I will just go back and trade it out to her for the better one. Heck the way she was talking I just might walk out of there with both of them for a .22 rifle. Giving that one some serious thought.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you can get both for a 22...gget both.the atp will surely be the advanced one of the two based on likelyhood.I recomend the atp if only one is to be had.its very versatile and holds excellent resale,lots of you tube videos on learning it and you can head into the water.tesoro is going to be a sound only,no screen

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to find out which model of Tesoro it is and what type of detecting you plan to do. Parks and schools? Water? Gold nuggets?

OP
OP
K

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dreams dashed. Both detectors were destroyed by my cousins ex boyfriend when he moved out last week. Found the mess in the corner of the basement. The Tesoro was a dinosaur and the Garrett was a Garrett AT gold. Such a loss.

I still gave my little cousin the .22 pistol since she doesn't have a gun. Always family first.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
still would have grabbed the AT gold... too bad though

OP
OP
K

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it will be all good.

That hope may have been dashed, but I still have my ace in the hole. My military disability check!!! My wife lets me spend it on myself in any way I want every month. Just gonna save up a couple and buy a top line detector. Might as well get the best I can.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Destroyed? I doubt he completely destroyed them. Should have grabbed the AT Gold anyway and sent it to Garrett for repair.

Regardless the at gold would have been my choice. Welcome to the hobby.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett might be able to help. Might cost a bit but seriously if I could get an at gold right now, I would.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions