Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hypothetical situation

You get permission from the land owner to metal detect on private property. You invite a metal detecting buddy to join you. Is it right or wrong for the buddy to return to the sight at a later date without you (and without your knowledge) and hunt alone or with one of his buddies? Just wondering what you veterans think about this. Do you ask your buddy at the start to not return to the property without you? What's right/wrong here?

Upvote 0

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hypothetical situation

You get permission from the land owner to metal detect on private property. You invite a metal detecting buddy to join you. Is it right or wrong for the buddy to return to the sight at a later date without you (and without your knowledge) and hunt alone or with one of his buddies? Just wondering what you veterans think about this. Do you ask your buddy at the start to not return to the property without you? What's right/wrong here?

Well, if advice from a rank beginner is worth anything.... I'd say it would be WRONG for your "buddy" to do that. As others have already said, that would be a betrayal of trust, a selfish and thoughtless act, and at the very least downright rude. That being said, sometimes good people do bad things and if the friendship is worth saving you'd probably better discuss it (calmly!) with him to see what his reasons were for acting in such a disrespectful manner. It may have been a simple misunderstanding... sometimes excitement leads to tunnel vision which leads to brain cramps.... IYKWIM.

For future hunts, make sure you make your conditions clear to your hunting buddies BEFORE you go, about what you expect from them after you show them to your hunting spots. If they're really your friends, they'll understand.

michellegloster0

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen .brought the guy to look at the spot and he said he was gonna go w/o me the next day .I said you can't go to my spot w/o me WTF. He said OK. I drove by next day and his car was there. He lied about going too. I know he's done it again too.. I always bring him to my good spots and he's never come up with a spot to go. He's boasted about spots he was hunting and what he has found. In fortunately I have no one elese to go with. What gets me is when we have a whole yard and he's up my ass. Dont be so greedy.i prob will get burnt again but keep my spots I can go alone to myself.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say we tar and feather these bombastic excuses for simple life forms, burn them, and then we kill 'em! :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a friend that would do that to you, you need better friends.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would punch him in the face once really hard, then forgive him - cause I'm a nice caring person!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a violation of trust. I wouldn't even give the guy a second chance because he either knew it was wrong and didn't care, or his morals are so low, he didn't know it was wrong. Either way, not someone I would trust and trust is everything!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about this one. I guess I only have two (2) buddies that we go out with. I don't mind it as long as they are the ones finding the stuff. The permissions I have gotten I will introduce my friend as well so he can come back. He normally would be solo when he gets out when we work opposite ends of the week. Now, if I did find a location that was had never been touched and we were finding some great stuff; I think I would hit it with my kid as much as possible then bring him out..........It does get tough bringing a friend to a new location and they end up finding most of the better stuff out of luck and the spots they find or pick aren't worth a dam!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Does someone need a hug?
No not here some have to have ones with them to hunt .. I have friends that i go out with eat with and do the normal things others do ...... But i do not want any one with me when i hunt ... You should try it you will find more .. No one to bother you talk to you no one to distract you .. You are alone with your thought's to me that makes it peaceful , enjoyable ...And after all these years i still look forward to my hunt's... ALONE...

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
No not here some have to have ones with them to hunt .. I have friends that i go out with eat with and do the normal things others do ...... But i do not want any one with me when i hunt ... You should try it you will find more .. No one to bother you talk to you no one to distract you .. You are alone with your thought's to me that makes it peaceful , enjoyable ...And after all these years i still look forward to my hunt's... ALONE...

Im with you on that 100 percent. I would only consider having a hunting buddy if she was real cute.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting buddies are great, especially when both of you are doing research and finding new sites. Then you get twice the sites for the same amount of research. Plus, it gives you someone to talk to about your hobby. I try to talk to my wife about it and she tries to act interested. But, we both know better. A hunting buddy has to be someone you trust though and you have to have mutual adult respect for each other.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to think of excuses WHY someone would do that.

-You weren't available and we really wanted to go
-I wanted to bring so and so who you don't like
-You're too slow
-It happened last minute so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal

Any excuse I can think of makes him sound like a jerk....so I think he's just a jerk.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steal his detector then offer to rent him one "just like it"...:occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Question to OP, did your hunting buddy get permission from the farmer when he went?

And, a more important question....

Did YOU get the farmer's permission to bring a buddy? If not, you're violating the farmer's trust yourself.

S

stefen

It's a tough lesson to learn about life, friendships and human frailties...

Time to close that door and move on.

OP
OP
W

Whiterook

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a hypothetical situation. I posted this to find out if there was honor among detectorists and as I read your replies there is. From the majority of your posts it would be wrong to go back without the person who invited you. My problem is that I have gotten permission to detect many places out here (old schools, camps, parks, rodeo arenas, old home places, etc...) on private land and I would like to find a good buddy to hunt with. One that I can trust. With me alone it would take a year to thoroughly hunt them. A good problem to have.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
And, a more important question....

Did YOU get the farmer's permission to bring a buddy? If not, you're violating the farmer's trust yourself.

Yes. At the end of the day, it's neither yours or your buddy's property. What if the buddy got permission from the farmer after the first hunt and came back? You don't get to make that decision, it's between your buddy and the farmer.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a hypothetical situation. I posted this to find out if there was honor among detectorists and as I read your replies there is. From the majority of your posts it would be wrong to go back without the person who invited you. My problem is that I have gotten permission to detect many places out here (old schools, camps, parks, rodeo arenas, old home places, etc...) on private land and I would like to find a good buddy to hunt with. One that I can trust. With me alone it would take a year to thoroughly hunt them. A good problem to have.

Well, I sure wish I was your neighbor.... I've been trying to find a detecting buddy around here since last fall, with zero success (so far).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread