Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hypothetical situation

You get permission from the land owner to metal detect on private property. You invite a metal detecting buddy to join you. Is it right or wrong for the buddy to return to the sight at a later date without you (and without your knowledge) and hunt alone or with one of his buddies? Just wondering what you veterans think about this. Do you ask your buddy at the start to not return to the property without you? What's right/wrong here?

Upvote 0

KaitoNation

Aug 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would care what my friend does as long as it doesn't make me look bad

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this all hypothetical and therefore in the future and has not happened yet? This is part of why I prefer to hunt alone. The other reason is I like to go very early in the morning before sun up!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting buddies are great, especially when both of you are doing research and finding new sites. Then you get twice the sites for the same amount of research. Plus, it gives you someone to talk to about your hobby. I try to talk to my wife about it and she tries to act interested. But, we both know better. A hunting buddy has to be someone you trust though and you have to have mutual adult respect for each other.

You got that right. I spend a lot of time doing research and driving around looking for good places to detect. Some people just can't be trusted.

I learned that the hard way. Before I share any good sites with someone, they're going to have to share some of their good sites with me first.

There are people on these forums who portray themselves as 'good guys', but in real life they're not like that at all. Actions speak louder than words in my book.

tabman

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make it a point not to steal - especially from my friends. Hunting one of my friends private digs when they aren't there, to me, is stealing unless he specifically says so. But, it's also a great way to stop people from giving you permission to hunt their property when they find out that you invited 1 person, then they will invite 2, etc., and there ends up being 10 people hunting a property that the owner gave permission for, to only one.

It's just a no-no.

Mrs. O

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, your buddy would be trespassing, if he detected on the private property without you, as you are the one that was given the permission. Before inviting anyone to detect on this private property with you, you must be sure that the permission was not given exclusively to you and other detectors are OK as long as they are with you.
Also your permission and it restrictions should be in writing.

Further you should insist that your buddy neither disclose this location to others, nor return without your approval.

Hypothetical situation

You get permission from the land owner to metal detect on private property. You invite a metal detecting buddy to join you. Is it right or wrong for the buddy to return to the sight at a later date without you (and without your knowledge) and hunt alone or with one of his buddies? Just wondering what you veterans think about this. Do you ask your buddy at the start to not return to the property without you? What's right/wrong here?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well explain from the get go that the landowner gave you permission *( and I would ask the owner to be sure bringing in a guest is ok) and that he can only go there with you with him since the landowner holds you accountable for anything that occurs and the landowner doesn't know him personally --so if the landowner sees him alone hunting there --he is liable to shut off the spot to all detectorist --including you --which would piss you off --tell him only the two of you are to go there together and he is not to go there alone or bring his friends to "your spot" -- you have invited him and him alone on your good graces..

tell him these are the rules break em and freindships out the window..

sadly this happens way too often..there are some metal detectorist with honor --then theres the greedy 90% that aren't...the ones that are too lazy or dumb to do their own research and always "mooch" onto other "freindly" folks to take them to a spot of theirs ...

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
well explain from the get go that the landowner gave you permission *( and I would ask the owner to be sure bringing in a guest is ok) and that he can only go there with you with him since the landowner holds you accountable for anything that occurs and the landowner doesn't know him personally --so if the landowner sees him alone hunting there --he is liable to shut off the spot to all detectorist --including you --which would piss you off --tell him only the two of you are to go there together and he is not to go there alone or bring his friends to "your spot" -- you have invited him and him alone on your good graces..

tell him these are the rules break em and freindships out the window..

sadly this happens way too often..

I agree !!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I share "public spots" with friends ... I seldom share private spots for the reason that many folks mess up the permission * by the "bringing of a friend" who in the end turns out to not be a "real friend" but rather a jerk ...who comes back alone or even worse bring lots of his "buddies" there without anyones oking it --a free for all --that wrecks your hard work getting the ok to hunt and makes you look bad to the landowner --who will tell others..

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever ask a "buddy" to stay off a field after it was seeded, then go back and see his tire tracks after that ? That should have been my first clue, but you let it kinda slide cause you're buds. Then the second, third, fourth stroking............... and game over.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
first times the last time ...folks are creatures of habit .. if they screw ya that means they have no respect for you and they will just do it over and over again ..its like a cheating wife or husband ... a tiger never changes its stripes..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I took someone to a permission and found out that that person had gone back without me... and was being "sneaky" behind my back.

It would cost me a 10 dollar bill... and a trip to the bank...
I would then detect the spot nonstop... till dry... or bored.

Then I would "make it rain" ... with the 20 rolls of pennies I got from the bank.

Just my way of "giving back". :P

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
oh there are easier ways to screw em -- if they got a deep type (non discrimation) pi machine ...a 1000 count box of bb's is a nice present -- if the got a machine that can "discrimate" then 1960 to 982 cents cut into quarters or sixths is nice --since the older copper cents is high enough up the metal scale that unlike "zinc" cents it can't be notched out easily --by quarter cutting them with tin snips $5 gives you as many bits as $20 and they can't spend the chopped up cents either...mmmooohhhaahhhaa..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread