Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hypothetical situation

You get permission from the land owner to metal detect on private property. You invite a metal detecting buddy to join you. Is it right or wrong for the buddy to return to the sight at a later date without you (and without your knowledge) and hunt alone or with one of his buddies? Just wondering what you veterans think about this. Do you ask your buddy at the start to not return to the property without you? What's right/wrong here?

Upvote 0

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well all my hunting buddies won't go without me

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once you take me there it's open season :thumbsup:
I'll be back to clean it out when the sun goes down :laughing7:
I promise I'll leave plenty of holes for you to see were I dug though

actually it's common sense to me, that if it is "Private Property"
and you gained the permission, it's "Your site"
your friends should realize this unless they are 7, or have criminal tendencies.

If it were public property it's a different story.
Just like I wouldn't expect a stranger to avoid a public park I hunted & spread my Scent :tongue3:,
I wouldn't expect a friend to avoid it either, Just because I took them there once

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you have rules or conditions to hunting the site you should let him know before hand. Or he can look at you and say, "You didn't say anything about that." and he would be right! I guess he may have thought since you are friends that you wouldn't care. Don't blow it up. Talk to him and let him know that you were surprised and disappointed by his actions. I have no hunting buddies so I might not be the one to advise.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be the last time I hunted with that "buddy".
Especially if it were me that got the permission in the first place.

If HE got it.. then so be it.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would ask how he got permission to hunt the site without you, and just wait for a response... If he doesn't have permission, he'll get uncomfortable and you can have a conversation (and/or simply not invite him to permissive properties anymore). If he managed to get permission on his own, he's definitely on the good.

It's like a fishing spot, though, once you show someone, the cat's out of the bag.

I like to keep my relationships uncomplicated... It's why I prefer to not hunt in groups, other than with my sons and maybe one or two of my close friends. No clubbing for me. It's not to say that I think clubs/party hunts are bad.. I'm just the kind of person who prefers to share experiences with close friends/family.

If one of my close friends returned to a site I showed him, it wouldn't matter to me. I'd probably whine a bit and ask why he didn't invite ME back though, LOL!

Skippy

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd definitely call it a breach of trust.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You kidding me? I'd be pissed!!!

Seems that would be bad form from anyone in our hobby.. think about it... Would you punk another guys site?
Not me... clad and the off-chance of a keeper not worth the risk of losing a site, or a friend...

That being said, now that we are on the subject...

HUNTING BUDDY NEEDED, FT. MYERS AREA... MARRIED WHITE MALE SEEKING SIMILAR FOR WEEKEND HUNTS, FOLLOWED BY BEER DRINKING AND HIGH-FIVES AFTER PULLING POST-WORTHY TREASURES.... SEND PM TO BIGWAVEDAVE

worth a shot?:dontknow:

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not do it. Friendship is more important to me than metal detecting. I wouldn't even go back alone to a public place a partner showed me without calling him and letting him know. I call "buddy double-cross"

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best customers years ago gave me a quote. You have to screw you friends, because you enemies don't do business with you!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure hunters don't have friends. You just found that out the hard way.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your friends should realize this unless they are 7, or have criminal tendencies.

I really did LOL when I read that! Great way to put it. As others have pointed it, it's a serious breach of etiquette. Also as pointed out, if you showed them your favorite spot on public land, all that did was let the cat outta the bag.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't take anybody to a private permission until I think I have it mostly hunted out. Then take someone and make a deal for whatever they find....tell em the homeowner wants them....hehe

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the same issues with prospecting buddies. I don't take them anymore!

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even public land, a place off the beaten path, I would hunt it with them, not without them.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I had permission on some good CW farmland. A longtime friend and hunting buddy went without my knowledge and took some of his friends not once but twice and got caught by the landowner both times and I got my permission pulled. I was so angry and felt so betrayed I ended my friendship and sold all of my equipment. I had hunted with him for 10 years. I only started back hunting last year.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never had any problems like that ..'WHY' Because i have been one that has always hunted by my self for the 40 some years i have been in this treasure detecting thing .... Never wanted any one with me on any of my hunts .. I go to hunt ... Like i said before i like to hunt alone i am not the type that needs some one with me when i hunt..

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I have never had any problems like that ..'WHY' Because i have been one that has always hunted by my self for the 40 some years i have been in this treasure detecting thing .... Never wanted any one with me on any of my hunts .. I go to hunt ... Like i said before i like to hunt alone i am not the type that needs some one with me when i hunt..

Does someone need a hug?

Attachments

• 1439292920575.jpg
    1439292920575.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 213

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That guy is not your "buddy". He is a scum bag. A selfish, sneaky, cheating and greedy little person with no integrity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread