Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

KaitoNation

Aug 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the minelab pro find off craigslist for 80 bucks and I love it. It goes a couple inches down and I have found things just running it over areas in tot lots where people might commonly drop stuff. I always have it in my car and find things running it over gutters where I park. Especially if there are parking meters. All the spilled change in the gutters and planters.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1 on the TRX. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett AT ProPointer is my favorite by far. 3 sensitivity settings you can change on the fly (3x Vibrate only intervals & 3x Vibrate and sound intervals) - Ground balanceable, Waterproof to 10ft, easy to see and bright, mini LED flashlight on the end and takes 1 9V and lasts easily 30hrs of use (off and on over and over), 360degree tip

sensitivity settings I find are as followed:
Setting 1: 1-2" from probe tip
Setting 2: 2-3"
Setting 3: 4-6"

It's really a nice little unit, no issues to date

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Garrett AT ProPointer is my favorite by far. 3 sensitivity settings you can change on the fly (3x Vibrate only intervals & 3x Vibrate and sound intervals) - Ground balanceable, Waterproof to 10ft, easy to see and bright, mini LED flashlight on the end and takes 1 9V and lasts easily 30hrs of use (off and on over and over), 360degree tip

sensitivity settings I find are as followed:
Setting 1: 1-2" from probe tip
Setting 2: 2-3"
Setting 3: 4-6"

It's really a nice little unit, no issues to date

I'd love to see a video showing your Setting 3 claims of 4-6". Until I see such from anybody, I'll doubt the reality that the Carrot can do more in an airtest than possibly 2.5", TOPS. jmc. Nobody should decide to buy one since there's never been demonstrated video proving better than 2+ inches at best. I honestly wish that the new Garrett could do these depths. It would be my "pinpointer desire" to have such a single pinpointer.

Last edited:

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I'd love to see a video showing your Setting 3 claims of 4-6". Until I see such from anybody, I'll doubt the reality that the Carrot can do more in an airtest than possibly 2.5", TOPS. jmc. Nobody should decide to buy one since there's never been demonstrated video proving better than 2+ inches at best. I honestly wish that the new Garrett could do these depths. It would be my "pinpointer desire" to have such a single pinpointer.

Most garrett detectors can't do 6", what makes people think their pinpointers will? The TRX can do 4" on a medium/large sized coin, small coins less. It would be nice if it can do 6"!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most garrett detectors can't do 6", what makes people think their pinpointers will? The TRX can do 4" on a medium/large sized coin, small coins less. It would be nice if it can do 6"!

My Garrett at gets 6 inches, on something like a beer can. It's a hair deeper the the minelab but not as deep as the whites which only detects at tip. If your goal is to dig coin without any damage the whites tells you exactly where the coin is.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett at gets 6 inches, on something like a beer can. It's a hair deeper the the minelab but not as deep as the whites which only detects at tip. If your goal is to dig coin without any damage the whites tells you exactly where the coin is.

Update on my view of the Garrett at. It's seems to need a trip back to garett. That's 3 for 3 on garrett pinpointers going bad. This one on small objects it won't even see them until you move target a couple inches up from tip. On coin size target when zeroing in still shows hot spot the same not at tip but 2 inches up shaft. This is after owning it for 4 months and actually using it about a month. Not happy. Minelab and Whites are both over 2 years and still work like new.

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working with it and learning it - it is helping me out alot when diggin ..... :)

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hhhmmmmmm I thought you used the PP after you started digging. I haven't purchased one yet but the Garrett is in my possibilities unless I can find a USED better one.
Marvin

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hhhmmmmmm I thought you used the PP after you started digging. I haven't purchased one yet but the Garrett is in my possibilities unless I can find a USED better one.
Marvin

If target is no more than say 3 or 4 inches you can find them with pinpointers first. Whites is deeper and more dependable.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On my regular Garrett PP the depth on a flat quarter is exactly 2 inches....if I point it at a larger object like a frying pan it is 6-8 inches easily and beeps at like a good 8-9 inches when pointed at my oven/stove. So I would say it absolutely depends on the object when somebody states a depth claim.

Can easily provide a video if need be...but if you were just talking coins and smaller items no need as I agree 100% that 4-6" is not happening on a coin.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 months into this new hobby and I am finding it very enjoyable. Slowly adding to my gear. I tried to purchase an X-pointer but I got a response that the order was not processed due to the item having too many relibilty issues. Any suggestions for a pinpointer at a resonable price and easy to use? Momma's a diggin :)

The Garrett Pro pointer

give me a call
dennis

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
On my regular Garrett PP the depth on a flat quarter is exactly 2 inches....if I point it at a larger object like a frying pan it is 6-8 inches easily and beeps at like a good 8-9 inches when pointed at my oven/stove. So I would say it absolutely depends on the object when somebody states a depth claim.

Can easily provide a video if need be...but if you were just talking coins and smaller items no need as I agree 100% that 4-6" is not happening on a coin.

Thanks. We're both on the same page. Coin tests should be the standard. Anything bigger gives false impressions. Sumpthin over 2 inches is where the Carrot falls within on say a penny, or even a quarter.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good video on the depth between 2 popular pointers for anybody interested. I realize the OP already has his pointer already but in case anybody else wants the info. This is scannerguy1968 video....not mine.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice test hunter. I wish you had a TRX to throw into the mix.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for depth out of a pinpointer NOTHING will beat the Pistol Probe......It is pulse induction and runs on 2 9v batteries. Dialable threshold sensitivity, frequencies. Crank up the threshold (ground balance) and you will get depths equal to a lot of low end detectors.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If you are looking for depth out of a pinpointer NOTHING will beat the Pistol Probe......It is pulse induction and runs on 2 9v batteries. Dialable threshold sensitivity, frequencies. Crank up the threshold (ground balance) and you will get depths equal to a lot of low end detectors.

I agree! If it only had a speaker I could hear in ambient outside elements, I'd use the Pistol solo. Side detection and depth like crazy, plus adjustable. My pistol is like a whisper in tone though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread