which one is better. if you could choose only one

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the GPS or thinking you have to download joe blows program or it's no good! Totally unnecessary to have a computer to use the CTX straight out of the box. The main reason I sold mine was I like to water hunt quite a bit and the design of its battery oring is terrible and sand kills the carbon fiber shaft by getting in nooks and crannys it should not be able to. I prefer a dedicated water unit and land machine.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were talking to yourself there for a minute.......too many Fletch's in this post! I'd go with the Explorer for the uses you want to put it to. At the beach, it would be a coin flip, but dirt digging goes to the XS without a doubt. It just gives you more info in a better format and tone than the Sov. Don't worry about the learning curve. I went from an older White's to an E-trac and it wasn't near as bad as other would have you believe. You just need to read the manuals and get lots of hunting in. Dig everything at first to learn faster what your machine is telling you.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I may need a name change!

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol Fletch88, Fletcher graduated 88 ?
I graduated 78. Lol

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all good. Planting test garden tomorrow. Hope to hunt an 150 to home stead next weekend if its not to freaking hot. Thanx for the advice guys, researched out. Time to hunt !!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unless you intend on going underwater (or wading deep in, etc...), you won't need the CTX. I use the standard explorer on the beach all the time. Sure I gotta plastic wrap it when I intend to hunt in beach storms (d/t rain), but ....... no biggee. There is sometimes a mis-conception afoot that a waterproof/underwater machine is needed for beach hunting. Not so, unless you plan to submerge it past the box.

The downsides of the CTX (IMHO) are:

a) you can't use an inline sunray probe on it. That's not a problem for beach hunting (where no one uses pinpointers anyhow). But is a BIG downer when hunting landsites. I hate monotone dis-attached free-standing probes :(

b) They're more expensive

c) They really not adding any more depth (unless you start messing around with that 17" coil, which is very fishing, very annoying pinpointing, etc....)

d) More difficult to learn all the menus and such (although maybe I'm just stubborn for having used the explorer for SO many years).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanx guys. Am I wrong in thinking that owning and using both sovereign and explorer would be confusing at best ?

No. You can learn each ones nuances/sounds if you care to. But I don't know why you'd need both. They both go equally as deep (with commensurate coil sizes), and both handles soils (minerals) equally as well. About the only advantage I can think of to the Sov, is that the WOT can get you super deep in some environments (where targets spread out). But personally, I could never adjust to this degree of "warbliness". And would be murder for pinpointing on land. But just saying I've seen some guys suffer through that adjustment period, and do-indeed add a few inches to what the 10.5" coil is capable of on the beach.

But all-in-all, the explorer suffices just fine .

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Sovereign and a CTX, my go to beach machine is the Sovereign hands down. On land I prefer the CTX.

Jun 9, 2004
Same here. Sov on the beach -- Have my SOV on a Plugger's homemade shaft along with a no longer made Sunray S12 Intruder coil. Spent a few years away from the forums, and upon my return I was shocked and dismayed to find out that Minelab discontinued the SOV. WTF.

I own a Sovereign and a CTX, my go to beach machine is the Sovereign hands down. On land I prefer the CTX.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have to add a Sovereign. They just seem legendary. XS def stays tho

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
anyone else here find it ironic that Gary in Santa Cruz, & MrMikeJackie prefer the A) Sov. for the beach, and B) the ctx for land ? The reason this is ironic, is that the CTX is water-proof, and the Sov. isn't. Let's face it: The CTX was sort of meant to be a water-proof explorer afterall. Thus why does someone need "waterproof" on land, unless they intend to be out hunting in the pouring rain ?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone else here find it ironic that Gary in Santa Cruz, & MrMikeJackie prefer the A) Sov. for the beach, and B) the ctx for land ? The reason this is ironic, is that the CTX is water-proof, and the Sov. isn't. Let's face it: The CTX was sort of meant to be a water-proof explorer afterall. Thus why does someone need "waterproof" on land, unless they intend to be out hunting in the pouring rain ?
Only because I feel BBS hits harder on gold. Otherwise I prefer the CTX. If I'm going in the drink or very close to it I'll swing the CTX. Not to say I haven't found my share of gold with the CTX. What I like the most about the CTX is I can use it for any situation given the opportunity. To each their own:)

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the GT. Don't need the screen to decide weather to dig. The tones match the Excal so I hear the same sounds on land or in the water. The tornado coils get great depth in the field or the beach. Kevin

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX is more of a waterproof E-trac (same target I.D. numbering system) than Explorer, but, they're all pretty close in function. The Excalibur is like a waterproof Sovereign (same BBS operating system). I prefer the Excal in the water and the E-trac on land, but, the E-trac works well in shallow water too. The Sov and Excal work fine for locating targets on land also, but, they don't give me enough info (depth and target I.D.) for my taste.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx so much for all the advice.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using the Elites now and all I can say is this is my kind of machine ! The Explorer is not simple enough for me! I now have 3 Elites, just incase since Minelab wont work on them, an American Gold Striker. Still want to trade the Explorer for a GT.
Thanx for all the input.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This ended up on wrong thread sorry guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread