which one is better. if you could choose only one

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would kinda help if we knew what you where going to use it for. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the first things you need to know is where you will be hunting, and what you will be hunting for.
The ground where I'm hunting may be different than where you hunt and if your hunting for coins/jewelry, relics, caches, or etc, differences count.

Or do you simply want people's opinions of the detectors they like or use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could only have one metal detector to do it all ?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could only have one metal detector to do it all ?

none of the above...I liked my explorer but I sold it.it struggled in the high mineralzation mining areas I normally hunt....your question is flawed.think about it and make it clear.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had to choose between these three as a "do it all" machine I would go with the Explorer. I can't speak for you're skill level or willingness to dig trash. Therefore a machine with better discrimination and TID will probably suit you better. They will both require you to go slooooow. There are more coil options and accessories available for the explorer. Gl HH Mike

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I was as clear as anyone could be on this issue ! I have been MDing for 38 years. I was using a DFX for years, it was a good machine. I have an Explorer XS and a gold strike. I recently sold my GMT as I no longer have a need for a gold specific machine, which is all I would use in a mining environment !
I have read where minelab has done wonders with tonal ID's, so I researched ect and spoke to a minelab dealer that suggested I find a XS. He said the Explorer 2 and XS both will out perform an Etrac in the hands of a skilled operator. He said the XS was the best all-around machine they have ever made ! Granted, everyone has opinions and from what IV read. Theirs a real batle between the sovereign and explorer. So I'm trying to find users of both machines. I haven't used my XS yet. If a Sovereign is what's best, ill buy one and sell the rest.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sovereign GT!!!- it is one of my favorites for beach and all around vlf's. I never used one where I didn't find at least one decent target.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes newbies ask the same type question.
Thanks for clarifying further, your just asking for users opinions, and a discussion of the pros and cons.

Jun 9, 2004
a SOV mounted on Plugger's homemade shaft with a Sunray S-12 Intruder coil. Been my setup for about 10 years. I can't imagine swinging anything else.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Fletch78, you say you've been md'ing for 38 yrs. And when MrMikeJackie & Msbeepbeep tell you that you need to be more specific on the type usage/hunting you want to do, you say:

..... only have one metal detector to do it all

And then you tell them:

I think I was as clear as anyone could be on this issue !.....

Really ? It would be a little like the following conversation:

a) person #1 says: "I want the best motor vehicle. Which one should I buy?"

b) person #2 says: "What type usage are you going to put it through ? Haul kids to soccer practice? [consider a mini-van]. Carry dirt to and from construction sites? [consider a 10-wheeler dump truck]. Fuel mileage economy? [consider a mini-cooper]. Top end speed? [Consider a corvette]. Etc... etc...

c) Person #1 replies: "I think I was as clear as anyone could be on this issue !"

BTW, I would choose an explorer over a Sov anyday. They go equally as deep, but the Explorer has a much more concise beep (versus the annoying long drawn out beeeooonggss). JMHO.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well . FIRST . Let me apologize! 2nd. Lets START OVER.

I have heard that minelab is the best tone identifying MD's out their, and that they have a long learning curve. I have been MDing from 1976 to present day. My last good machine which I used was a DFX, however I found it lacking ! My former GMT was perfect for what it was designed. Gold.

Now, I live in central ALABAMA where alot of the Civil War was fought, HENCE, relics ! I am only 3 hours away from Pensacola Beach Orange beach and others. Therefore yup beach treasures! Lots of old parks and old homes, plowed fields.

QUESTION to those that have learned the SOVEREIGN AND EXPLORER XS. Which of these machines would you choose over the other, for my area and why ????

Thanx in advance !!

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Georgia Red thanx for your input. I believe both GT-Elite Sovereigns are TOL, as is the XS Explorer. The Difference between these two machines may be minimal. But mastering BOTH may take way to long for me. I'm learning my XS, very cool machine.
I have never laid hands on Sovereign!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
apology accepted :)

I would choose the Explorer for both beach and land. I do not like the extended drawn out beeoongggs of the Sov. It just seems like if you had smaller targets in the "tail" of the sound, that the Sov. would subject you to more masking. Contrast to the explorer, which has quick concise beeps (ie.: faster recovery). They each handle soil types (minerals) equally well. They each get the same depth (assuming commensurate sized coils). Thus I'd stay with the Explorer. Yes it has a longer learning curve. And yes it's better than the DFX (IMHO). If you have experience with the DFX, then the learning curve will be shorter.

For some people , if they've come from machines like xlt, cz6, 6000di pro, etc..., then both the explorer AND the Sov. will be nerve-wracking. The mental mindest can be totally different. The tones will drive you banannas, etc... Thus best to hook up with a proficient user, and flag deep signals to compare. Watch the way they swing, isolate, what they'd pass vs what they'd chase, etc...

Another note: You can use a Wot coil on the Sov, and get wickedly deep. Like 14" on a zinc! nearly 1.5" on a quarter!, etc..! While using the wot on an explorer does NOT seem to add depth to coin-sized targets. However, barring the beach, I can not think of many land sites where targets are spread out enough to do that. And it's quite fishy indeed to pinpoint, learn , etc.... But some people have adapted to it, and actually like Sov's (even with Wot's) for land-sites. But I found that much to fishy and warbly. So I eventually ditched my excal (which is like the sov), and simply use my explorer for everything.

It's good for relics, turf, demolition, beach, etc.... Yes there are machines that are better suited for iron-ridden ghost-townsy sites, but .......... considering the power-house deep-seeker that the Exp. is, it does decent enough (given the power/depth) for junky sites.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough call. I've owned both and preferred the GT on the beach but for relic hunting I'd go with the Explorer unless it was too heavy handed!

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx guys. Am I wrong in thinking that owning and using both sovereign and explorer would be confusing at best ?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really. The Sovereign/Excal are about the easiest machine to learn I have ever used! You may want to just go for the CTX! Then you can not worry about getting it wet for the occasional beach hunt and it is way better balanced to use for dirtfishing.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx again !

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, been druelling over a ctx 3030 on Ebay right now. However. To many bells and whistles'. I'm 55 . Not to GPS pc savy. I'm more. Keep it simple.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't even own a computer. Wont. Smart phone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread