Help... Im finding too much

desertrat21

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help... I'm finding too much

I'm finding entirely too much information and I am in need of some input.

Please forgive me... as I'm sure what I'm about to ask is THE question that induces enough eye rolls in the veteran and active members of this forum to tilt the earth's axis a bit. :tongue3:

I've detected before... mostly for gold.

I'm interested in getting a new detector (new or used) but I'm getting overwhelmed by everything I'm reading online and I'm having a heck of a time narrowing my options.

I've read a myriad of older threads in this forum but didn't want to resurrect an old one in order to solicit advice.

I'll be hunting mostly relics (coin and silver), but will have occasion to hunt gold too. I hunt mostly in remote areas of the desert... not much park or urban hunting for me. I live in the SW and some of the places I'd be hunting can be highly mineralized. I'm not a believer in the idea I need the most expensive machine to accomplish that task. Back when I detected years ago I was often fortunate (practice really helped) to do better than some of my friends who were swinging machines that cost three or four times what my old Whites did.

I'm looking for a detector and potentially extra coils in order to cover a broader array of conditions. New or used is not a concern. The older Minelab units seem to have a serious following but most of the threads recommending those were from 2005-2009. Are there more contemporary/serviceable models that hold the same cult following as the Explorer XS? Any third-party companies building coils with the same quality as the old Sun-Ray coils?

Any advice for building a kit that would cover the most ground would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much for your time.
Damon

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...I'll be hunting mostly relics (coin and silver), but will have occasion to hunt gold too.....

Damon, you're talking about gold in it's natural state, right ? Ie.: nuggets, eh ? So then essentially what you're asking for, is a cross-over machine that can do both venues: coins/relics AND nuggets, right ? Yes there's detectors that ..... with the flips of some controls can do both types. MXT and 705 come to mind.

HOWEVER: Be aware that any machine that can do both venues, will excell in neither. Ie.: there will be better nugget machines, and there will be better coin/relic machines. The reason is: that any machine designed to go back and forth, is not easy to design. Because the goals of each is diametrically opposed. Eg.: the coin hunter DOESN'T want to hear every little piece of birdshot or staple. Yet a nugget hunter DOES want that birdshot grain-of-rice stuff to "ring the bells of notre dame". And since machines are designed from the ground up, to do selected things to maximum degree, that means that there's going to be compromises in a machine that tries to be a cross-over.

And no, there's no kit (homemade) that will come close to what you can buy much cheaper and easier.

OP
OP
D

desertrat21

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply, Tom. I'm definitely more interested in a relic focused machine right now. I'd like at some point to broaden my tools to cover all the bases, but coins/relics will be my primary focus for the time being. I'd rather go that route and end up eventually with two machines that achieve their stated purpose well than one that does both with less efficacy. With reference to the "kit"... I intended it as a solicitation for advice on peripheral gear... like pinpointers. I'm not at all familiar with them and have never used one. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I much appreciate it.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desert, I would head for something like the Teknetics T-2 or an AT Pro both have there good and bad, the T-2 has great depth and adjustable Ground balance and is a great machine used with extra coils about 650ish on ebay. The AT pro is more gab and go with Notch discrimination and easy to use plus it can get wet to 10 feet. I agree with Tom no perfect machine but those are 2 I use and like both machines for there purposes.

As far as after market coils I like NEL but I really haven't tried many off brands.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your budget will help you narrow stuff down too... what are you looking at spending? Minelab just put out a gold-hunting detector a couple of months ago that's like $12,000....I'll never see one in my lifetime, but maybe you're independently wealthy and willing to go that route!?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In spite of what Tom_in_Ca says about a combination detector, (which I don't argue with if one wants the best gold machine or coin machine etc.) I've had very good results with Whites MXT on coins and jewelry and it offers a very good selection of factory coils as well. May not be the ultimate for any one use, but does a pretty good job, regardless.
luvsdux

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You state "coin and jewelry", then "remote areas of the desert", "highly mineralized". Are you hunting old ghost towns or just desert washes and nugget patches? Is there a lot of iron to contend with? I want to steer you towards a Whites TDI but need more info on the area.

OP
OP
D

desertrat21

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all of the replies!

Regarding my budget... I'd like something in the $1,000-ish range... less if I can manage a good used machine.

Regarding my hunting grounds... they'd be ghost towns, old homesteads, mining claim shanties, Chinese RR encampments, stage route stops etc. My job has allowed for me to make connections with land owners all over the SW and I've got invitations from a slew of property owners to come and explore.

Most of what I'd be looking for is relics and coins... but sometimes the opportunity may come to sweep tailing piles or bedrock for larger gold nuggets adjacent to the old encampments. Anything in close proximity to mine sites is of course going to be hotter... many of the gold-bearing sites in my state are hot with iron. That being said I'd anticipate only a small portion of my efforts would be directed toward nugget shooting. Most would entail investigating old homesteads and ghost towns that of course will be rich with nails and other scrap.

Thanks again for taking the time to help... it is much appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any information that could help you narrow your recommendations.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best detector for your dollar is going to be the Nokta Fors Core. You will be in the high mineral ground and the Fors Core will do the job for you whether you are looking
for gold or coins or relics. I seriously don't think there is a better machine out there that can compete with it for the price. You get the Core Package with the big and small coils and you're set to go.
Check out some of the videos on youtube about it.....see for yourself. Only difference between the Fors Gold and Fors Core is the Core has the beach mode. I'm sure others on here that have the Core or the Gold can attest to how good these machines are.
I'm hunting mostly beaches with mine...but I got it because I do plan on getting to AZ and do some nugget hunting. Can't wait to get there.

P.S. I have the White's MXT also...and it sits at home because it's too chatty on the beach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertrat21

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic golkey! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it.

OP
OP
D

desertrat21

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exceptionally impressive. I guess I know what I'll be reading about and researching today. :thumbsup: What sort of depths are you achieving with yours?
Thanks again for the recommendation!

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exceptionally impressive. I guess I know what I'll be reading about and researching today. :thumbsup: What sort of depths are you achieving with yours?
Thanks again for the recommendation!

You can't beat the depth this machine will give you. There are several videos on youtube that show you how deep it goes.
I'm constantly pulling dimes and nickels at 10+ inches with the standard coil.
One video on youtube shows how well it can pick up small nuggets..........

There's also a review you might like to see from an experienced gold nugget hunter....I'll look that up for you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll throw my $.02 worth in......Relic machine, I'd get a Fisher F75. One that does a bit better on gold and is also a good relic machine.........the Minelab 705 gold pack. If you have the funds, I'd get a dedicated gold machine and compliment it with a great relic machine like the F75.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding my hunting grounds... they'd be ghost towns, old homesteads, mining claim shanties, Chinese RR encampments, stage route stops etc. My job has allowed for me to make connections with land owners all over the SW and I've got invitations from a slew of property owners to come and explore.

Damon - are you in the Phoenix area, or possibly down by Quartzite/Parker? I like your list of hunting grounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread