For sale means NO TRESPASSING!!!

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My neighbors are taking stuff out of their old house because the house is about to be sold. I was helping them the other day and while on break, they told me that there were some people with detectors on the property. Went today to discuss more on the situation and they told me that it was not the people who are buying the house. So people are literally trespassing on the property to metal detect. At least when I want to detect someone's property I ask permission BEFORE I hunt, I don't just go and do it. These people didn't do that and think that anything with a FOR SALE sign means fair game!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: This is what I dislike because people like this make it harder for people like me to fully enjoy the hobby. And this is the reason why there are some laws involving such a thing. Rant over! :skullflag:

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private PRoperty is still private Property!

This. Also, I would feel pretty stupid if I got in trouble with the cops all because I decided to try hunting on private property without permission.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed...
Friggin idiots in this world.
Self serving lamers.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple, call the police, trespassing is trespassing..

There is a lot behind my house that sits on a lake, it is a lake front lot, my home is lake view, the lot is lake front, but land locked, by mistake no public access or easement was ever built or designed when neighborhood was built for these lots which sit underwater at least 9 months or more a year..

I caught 2 young punks about 17-20 walking through my front yard, through my side gate, then through my back yard to fish in the lake on the lot I don't own.....When I confronted them at the lake they told me "we are just fishing from the lot behind your house", I told them that isn't illegal but trespassing through my property to get there is illegal. They then asked "can we have permission", I told them "no, too late to ask now".... They got smart mouth with me then and my T-shirt "accidentally" slipped up and revealed my .45.... They left promptly..

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trespassing. In spanish does that mean 3 walking by ? sorry bad yoke

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's not only trespassing, it's theft. How hard is it to understand? I would be furious if I found a MD'er on my property without permission. It would be interesting to hear the defense of their actions, fully knowing it's private property.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ask for a ok if its private land or don't detect ...that simple

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbors are taking stuff out of their old house because the house is about to be sold. I was helping them the other day and while on break, they told me that there were some people with detectors on the property. Went today to discuss more on the situation and they told me that it was not the people who are buying the house. So people are literally trespassing on the property to metal detect. At least when I want to detect someone's property I ask permission BEFORE I hunt, I don't just go and do it. These people didn't do that and think that anything with a FOR SALE sign means fair game!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: This is what I dislike because people like this make it harder for people like me to fully enjoy the hobby. And this is the reason why there are some laws involving such a thing. Rant over! :skullflag:

While the property is private, unless it specifies no trespassing, no law is being broken. The police can only tell the person detecting to leave. The property owner has the option to trespass the individuals, but until something explicitly says no trespassing, things like this will continue to happen, and no consequences are to be had.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the property is private, unless it specifies no trespassing, no law is being broken. The police can only tell the person detecting to leave. The property owner has the option to trespass the individuals, but until something explicitly says no trespassing, things like this will continue to happen, and no consequences are to be had.
i was told if there is no sign and you have been warned twice thats trespassing.

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You're incorrect. Movement across a property is different than disturbing it. You have no right to break ground in anthers property without their permission and the items on that property belong to the owner. From your point of view someone can dig up your front lawn without permission to retrieve that 25 cents your son dropped....Good luck. Fenced property implies ownership, this is different than SEMI-Public Access on private property, such as a shopping mall where access is implied.

Last edited:
S

stefen

Growing up in rural Ohio, it was customary to ask a farm owner if you could hunt his property.

Usually he'd tell the hunters to use certain fields because of grazing animals or to avoid crop damage, or for other reasons.

When I was 10 or so, several hunters were hunting in the middle of our property. Dads hunting dog heard shots and ran into the field only to be shot by the hunters.

Dad picked up his shot gun and drove the tractor into the field. Shortly their dogs succumbed to lead shot, and the hunters were last seen walking barefooted to their car, empty handed.

Dad returned with 2 really nice shotguns.

Within an hour the local sheriff came by with the 2 hunters in tow. Apparently they filed a report and wanted their boots and guns back plus compensation for their dogs.

After hearing my dads side of the story, the 2 hunters were arrested for trespass.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of Fl law on trespass..

Title XLVI
CRIMES

Chapter 810
BURGLARY AND TRESPASS

View Entire Chapter
810.09 Trespass on property other than structure or conveyance.—
(1)(a) A person who, without being authorized, licensed, or invited, willfully enters upon or remains in any property other than a structure or conveyance:
1. As to which notice against entering or remaining is given, either by actual communication to the offender or by posting, fencing, or cultivation as described in s. 810.011; or
2. If the property is the unenclosed curtilage of a dwelling and the offender enters or remains with the intent to commit an offense thereon, other than the offense of trespass,

commits the offense of trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance.

(b) As used in this section, the term “unenclosed curtilage” means the unenclosed land or grounds, and any outbuildings, that are directly and intimately adjacent to and connected with the dwelling and necessary, convenient, and habitually used in connection with that dwelling.

(2)(a) Except as provided in this subsection, trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(b) If the offender defies an order to leave, personally communicated to the offender by the owner of the premises or by an authorized person, or if the offender willfully opens any door, fence, or gate or does any act that exposes animals, crops, OR OTHER PROPERTY TO WASTE, DESTRUCTION or freedom; unlawfully dumps litter on property; or trespasses on property other than a structure or conveyance, the offender commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(c) If the offender is armed with a firearm or other dangerous weapon during the commission of the offense of trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance, he or she is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Any owner or person authorized by the owner may, for prosecution purposes, take into custody and detain, in a reasonable manner, for a reasonable length of time, any person when he or she reasonably believes that a violation of this paragraph has been or is being committed, and that the person to be taken into custody and detained has committed or is committing the violation. If a person is taken into custody, a law enforcement officer shall be called as soon as is practicable after the person has been taken into custody. The taking into custody and detention in compliance with the requirements of this paragraph does not result in criminal or civil liability for false arrest, false imprisonment, or unlawful detention.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...tute&URL=0800-0899/0810/Sections/0810.09.html

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In other words...
If it aint yours... stay the **** out and off of it.

:) Guess I could have spelt out HE'LL

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple, call the police, trespassing is trespassing..

There is a lot behind my house that sits on a lake, it is a lake front lot, my home is lake view, the lot is lake front, but land locked, by mistake no public access or easement was ever built or designed when neighborhood was built for these lots which sit underwater at least 9 months or more a year..

I caught 2 young punks about 17-20 walking through my front yard, through my side gate, then through my back yard to fish in the lake on the lot I don't own.....When I confronted them at the lake they told me "we are just fishing from the lot behind your house", I told them that isn't illegal but trespassing through my property to get there is illegal. They then asked "can we have permission", I told them "no, too late to ask now".... They got smart mouth with me then and my T-shirt "accidentally" slipped up and revealed my .45.... They left promptly..

You sure you ain't a Texan? That's sorta the way things are handled here. We'd call what you did polite and subtle since no shots were fired...

michellegloster0

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trespassing. .theft....destruction of property all can lead to a hefty bill

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the kids were fishing. Big deal! And they even asked you (granted, after the fact), but you had to play tough guy. Hope you're proud.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the kids were fishing. Big deal! And they even asked you (granted, after the fact), but you had to play tough guy. Hope you're proud.
Its called trespassing on my property and you don't get smart mouth when your trespassing on my property, if you don't treat me with respect you get no respect back. They were about 18-20 years old.

I would do the same thing again, I have no patience for punks...

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Its iffy in NH,to be a secured premise the area has to be posted and fenced in.

Section 635:2
635:2 Criminal Trespass. –
I. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place.
II. Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor for the first offense and a class B felony for any subsequent offense if the person knowingly or recklessly causes damage in excess of $1,500 to the value of the property of another.
III. Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor if:
(a) The trespass takes place in an occupied structure as defined in RSA 635:1, III; or
(b) The person knowingly enters or remains:
(1) In any secured premises;
(2) In any place in defiance of an order to leave or not to enter which was personally communicated to him by the owner or other authorized person; or
(3) In any place in defiance of any court order restraining him from entering such place so long as he has been properly notified of such order.
IV. All other criminal trespass is a violation.
V. In this section, "secured premises'' means any place which is posted in a manner prescribed by law or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or which is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders.
VI. In this section, "property,'' "property of another,'' and "value'' shall be as defined in RSA 637:2, I, IV, and V, respectively.

Source. 1971, 518:1. 1979, 377:7. 2005, 125:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2006. 2010, 239:2, eff. July 1, 2010.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread