Questions for you XP Deus folks!! And others!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow members.

I am at a crossroads with my research and such and figured it was time to post the big question here for your input and expertise. Of course this is for everyone who metal detects; not just limited to those with a Deus.

My buddy and I have had our fair share of machines but have used the E-Trac exclusively since 2010. The areas we cover can be open fields with very minimal trash to an area around an old Ghost Town. Some of the areas in these towns have so much metal and iron in the ground that our machines will null out. We know there are coins but we just can't get through or around all the metal and iron.(Using the smaller coils available) Over the past year we started removing the top six inches of dirt and turning it over. This of course takes time and a lot of effort for large areas. We have made some great finds after doing this but it kinda takes it toll. I love the E-trac and will continue to use it on every trip. I have all the coils for it and we grid search our areas using string north to south, then back over east to west.

Our last outing consisted of an area with a lot of old nails, trash, old tin cans, and just junk. We know there are coins and nice relics to be found but without moving a lot of dirt and taking up a lot of swing time; so my questions are these......

Do you think the Deus can help pull out these nice targets in such a trashy area better than the E-trac?

I'm already sold on its weight since at times I have to use a sling to swing my E-trac around.

Is the Deus dependable and rugged? We can get a bit rough on our equipment and it has to be able to handle the ride on a quad!!

Not really concerned on the targets being deep since most of our finds here have been no deeper than maybe seven (7) inches. I think my last real deep target was a 2 Real about eight inches, but not a lot of trash was around it. Very nice soil.

I currently have a little money hidden from the wife that will allow me to purchase one (1) but I would like some more input. There is only so much I can read on the internet and videos to watch. Just thought you folks here would be the ones to ask before I decide to pull the trigger.

Thanks,

bolle

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the places you hunt are that bad, I think I'd start by investing in a heavy duty garden rake and some strong earth magnets! :laughing7:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The kind of site you're describing is what the Deus was made for. Get the 9" coil. It's not flimsy, but not as rugged as the Etrac.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt old homesteads and mining sites which are full of scrap pieces of tin, square nails, iron bolts, nuts etc. I have used several different machines on these areas and by far the Deus and my Tesoros are the best in these sites. If your looking for something better for these places that's not as expensive as the Deus you could try a Vaquero or Tejon with the 5.75 concentric coil. The Deus though with the 9in coil is the best in these areas once you learn how to use it.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last two previous seasons, I had a hunting partner.
We mostly hit old parks. I with an at pro and him an e Trac.
A few parks we stopped hitting, as they stopped producing good finds. This spring I purchased a deus. Not working then, I racked up over 300 hours of usage. So im very comfortable with its subtleties. Just recently I returned to one said park. I began finding silver. 20 hours hunting netted 14 silver coins,10 copper coins and a gold ring, in a soccer field sized area. These coins were some of the oldest from this park. Including 2 george III shillings. Early 1900s, late 1800s Canadian dimes, large cent and fish scale (5CENT).
Most coins were found in the trashy areas. Although a few were surprising shallow, yet some how were not previously detected.

Sorry for being long winded. I just wanted to give a good example, of what this machine can do in a trashy area. Also with mineralized soil. It will compliment the etrac well. But after swinging it, it will be hard to go back.

For your purposes, it will perform exemplary.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm totally exited to have made this purchase. My son then said he wan'ted one. Told him to wait and lets see how we do for the first couple of months. We have already started thinking about what areas we wanted to try it out on. We have so many but I'm thinking were going to go slow and hit an area that's not too trashy but know something has to still be there. Of course it will be here this Friday while i'm working; I leave for school/training Sunday and we won't be able to get out until the 7th!!!! UUHHHGGGG.

Maybe I should take it with me to training and hit a local park with it??? IDK. My luck it would get stolen.............Then again, there are some awesome places in the Sacramento area but not where i'll be. Think i'll wait!!!!

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind if you buy a second coil all you need is a second shaft. Then you have two detectors! You could even make a shaft to do it cheap. You could use the headphones to control operation of one coil. Your son could use the controller with the option of wired phones.
Such a neat detector, you guys are going to love it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread