GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

First please do not beat me down like one poster has done recently. I am just asking. :) New to this sport and so excited about it.... these clubs, are they basically just social times once a month or do they help their newbies learn. What can I expect? The first meeting as a visitor - I did get suggestions on the metal detector to start off with. I took the suggestion and I do like the Model. Basically I am learning by myself. But are the meetings just for raising funds - 50/50's, and such? I did go to a spring hunt when I got my metal detector - I was happy with my finds - dumb luck...lol. I guess that I thought a "club" would help others new comers learn their machine and take them under their their wing to learn. I do not mean to give up their spots. Am I expecting too much in the way of help and learning? Kinda confused.... I keep going to the meetings - but I am confused.

I keep going out huntin and trying ....

Thanks.... Momma

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years i have tried a few clubs .. They are a pain in the butt .. I would never even think about joining a club now ... If you like to meet with a bunch of a$$'s go ahead join a club..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Over the years i have tried a few clubs .. They are a pain in the butt .. I would never even think about joining a club now ... If you like to meet with a bunch of a$$'s go ahead join a club..

That's odd. I can see you've posted on T'net 7,375 times since Nov. 2006. And I've enjoyed reading your post-often times. As I'm sure you've gained insights through reading other's posts here. Then that being the case, you've apparently found a club that is not a "pain the the butt", and have met people you don't consider a$$'s in this T'net club .

So you see then, you've merely traded one "club" for another. And just as dramas can arise in a brick & mortar club, so too can debates on topics, and personality issues arise on-line too. And just as you can meet people in a brick & mortar club in your area, so too can you meet people in your area via an on-line forum "club" too. But in no sense are you not participating in a "club".

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, each club is different. Some club have monthly outings, others once or twice a year. It's a good resource to meet others in the hobby. Our clubs in my area are still growing, but as a dealer I encourage new people to visit the clubs and see if it is for them.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" And just as dramas can arise in a brick & mortar club, so too can debates on topics, and personality issues arise on-line too. "
Ain't that the truth.

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd. I can see you've posted on T'net 7,375 times since Nov. 2006. And I've enjoyed reading your post-often times. As I'm sure you've gained insights through reading other's posts here. Then that being the case, you've apparently found a club that is not a "pain the the butt", and have met people you don't consider a$$'s in this T'net club .

So you see then, you've merely traded one "club" for another. And just as dramas can arise in a brick & mortar club, so too can debates on topics, and personality issues arise on-line too. And just as you can meet people in a brick & mortar club in your area, so too can you meet people in your area via an on-line forum "club" too. But in no sense are you not participating in a "club".

How can I post on T'net 7,375 times since Nov. 2006 - I just joined???

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom was referring to Keppys post.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

It is not like a real club but there are some A$$'s on here also .. I will not respond to there post's or even read them ... Not talking about you Tom but there are others on here .... What do they call them internet bullies for they are coward's for they know they will never meet you face to face.. The last one i had was from Tnet here he was from ..Florida ... He just kept going on & on & on the Mod's had to put a stop to him ...So now i do not even read any of his post's.. Like i said it is not like a real club i do not have to be there at a certain time .... I just come on line when i get time or feel like it ..

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean you don't hurry to get online and hear my pearls of wisdom? I'm shocked! :laughing7:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Clubs have their appeal I guess and we are members of one. I like to see what everyone finds and share in their joy and share what I find.We've made some good friends fro the club we are in and met some great people. We had a bad experience with one member of the club going back to a site we took him to once after we told him to lay off of it but he ain't a member of the club no' mo after we caught him red handed.:laughing7: so I'd say all in all if you want to join a club to meet new people and share in a passion you all love then go ahead.

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry - Momma works time is limited - leaving my actual needs behind to go out and hunt and find time for myself :) I appreciate your wisdom... :) In put is always good!

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tried to reach out to multiple in my area. I found a few that have been very helpful but it seems like everywhere else in life time and schedules find difficulty lining up to do a group hunt. I found a club in our local area, I attended my first meeting before I owned my AT Pro. They are very nice. Most of the members are twice my age and I'm in my thirties. It's obvious they need new, younger members to keep things going. I think this entire hobby is in the same boat. In my opinion, I think the yearly dues are a minor part in sitting down and getting some help from very experienced MD'ers, not to mention many are willing to share ideas on spots they are no longer physically capable of getting to themselves. They really just want to see what others are fishing out of the ground.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clubs have their appeal I guess and we are members of one. I like to see what everyone finds and share in their joy and share what I find.We've made some good friends fro the club we are in and met some great people ........ so I'd say all in all if you want to join a club to meet new people and share in a passion you all love then go ahead.

When I took the plunge and bought my new ATP last fall, this was the idea I had in mind, almost to a "T"... along with the lure of finding some nice long-lost goodies, to be sure... and I got very interested after watching all the YouTube videos about the group hunts and club hunts and vids of smaller groups of 2, 3, or 4 people out hunting, finding great old stuff, and having a laugh and a great time out in the fields and forests and whatnot. However what I have come to find is the hobby is (around here anyway) filled mostly with solitary individuals who would rather be by themselves. I can kind of understand that mindset but by the same token I've been involved in other activities all my life (hunting, fishing, scuba diving, skiing, swimming, biking, etc) and without exception all of them are far more enjoyable when done with someone else, and I feel that MD'ing is the same way. It's too bad that the latest addition to my list is one it seems I'll have to learn to love doing alone. :dontknow:

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have made my decision finally about this "club" thing.... Another extra hunt was posted as was the one held before - during the week. People work and that limits the club members who can actually participate... that is not a club function in my eyes. An upcoming "scavenger hunt" was posted .... people work..... Brought it to the presidents attention after the last one, I am kinda out spoken - oh well. Actually I have gotten more help, fellowship and tips from the 3 gentlemen that I have meet the past few weeks while I was out hunting. The first guy almost drove over the curb when when saw me hunting at a park.... we had a nice conversation. He pointed out a few things on my machine - how to read it while swinging and what to look for. He also offered me suggestions of other places to hunt. The other two gentlemen this past weekend just happend by one after another while I was at another park. They actually talked to me - asked questions, told me of places and of their finds, the history of the area. As a newbie I found it so enjoyable to actually talk to others (not from the club)... told them of my few "exciting" finds and how I enjoy being out - getting excited over anything that I find. These people kinda took an interest in me enough to walk up an have a conversation with me about detecting....I hope to run into them again in the future!!! Momma will be enjoying herself out and about!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found some like-minded people. That is the main thing. The way you describe your local club, it sounds like it's mainly geared toward retirees and even sounds a bit clique-ish. Life is too short for that. Best wishes and happy hunting 8-)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Momma,
Your expectations are/were the same as mine, when I joined a club, AND the responses were the same, unfortunately.
I wanted to find a good beginners machine and wanted to learn tricks in recovery, what to use as gear, etc - no luck there....
But, I stuck with them, but dug on my own, as no one wanted me under their wing, (too!)....must be the nature of treasure hunters,
to be secretive on their favorite locations....
So, keep at it! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I took this hobby up to finally do something for myself. I have recently lost my mother after being the only person caring for her for 23 yrs. When I decided to buy a unit and begin this I tired to tell her what I was going to do to find a hobby. She did not understand or seem to care.... the time came. I decided this was my outlet for myself. Tried to find a club - get involved.... I find it peaceful and happy - something that I am actually doing for myself finally. My finds as little they maybe bring me excitement. 925 items I found one - the 1800's button - wow! lol - That tree in the park is MINE! :) I never told anyone at work what I was doing - after finding that button I opened up to my co-workers. They looked at me and said - what???? They never expected me to be doing this. I have not missed a single Sat or Sun of hunting since then. I am happy...... and am enjoying what I am doing. That is what matters - go out and do what makes you happy!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you found some like-minded people. That is the main thing. The way you describe your local club, it sounds like it's mainly geared toward retirees and even sounds a bit clique-ish. Life is too short for that. Best wishes and happy hunting 8-)
Most if not all clubs are ..clique-ish..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions