Hidden treasure container or...?

KaitoNation

Aug 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440470035.765243.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440470052.029389.jpg

I have only been metal detecting for about a week so I haven't come across too many interesting finds. Mostly pipe parts, pull tabs and cans. I am not sure if this is normal but I found this a couple inches under the ground. It doesn't keep going or leading to anything. I was wondering if maybe it was an old compost bin or something? My little shovel wouldn't fit all the way down in it and I was wondering if I should go back with a longer shovel or leave it alone if it's just an old compost bin. I found it in the backyard of some neighbors that have moved out. I didn't want to do too much to draw attention to myself because I didn't have permission to be there. I was friends with the people that use to live there and they didn't know what it was. So have you guys ever seen these before?

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the outside access to the drain system and maybe the sewer. Had one at my old house. the plumber put the snake down it once, but I really don't remember.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
" .... I found it in the backyard of some neighbors...."

I believe that's nothing more than the breather pipe for a house's outflow sewage drainage system.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an old clean out. Better watch what you stick down there, could come back kinda stanky. :)

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" I didn't want to do too much to draw attention to myself because I didn't have permission to be there. "

Uhhh...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
" I didn't want to do too much to draw attention to myself because I didn't have permission to be there. "

Uhhh...

Please refrain from admitting that you are trespassing on the forum... hunting without permission is trespassing, and frowned upon as unethical.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please refrain from admitting that you are trespassing on the forum... hunting without permission is trespassing, and frowned upon as unethical.

+1. Remember, you're basically an ambassador for this hobby now, so please keep that in mind.

OP
OP
KaitoNation

KaitoNation

Aug 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Urban hunting is hard! There is literally no dirt anywhere that someone doesn't already own!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Urban hunting is hard! There is literally no dirt anywhere that someone doesn't already own!

I hear you, but even living rurally I still need permission to hunt everywhere I go...unless you go to some very remote places in this country, it is very hard to find land which isn't "owned." And most public lands have very clear regulations regarding this activity.

Given that, in this hobby asking for permission rather than forgiveness is better for everyone.

If you are not interested in cold-knocking to get permission, have you asked friends? My experience has been that if one is considerate (dig carefully, use a ground cloth, etc) and generous (splitting finds, or coming/returning with donuts, wine or beer, etc) then permissions grow naturally by word of mouth. I have far more permissions than I have time to dig them at this point.

Good luck, hope this helps.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Start by looking online for regulations that cover the various types of public spaces in your area: parks, public school grounds, etc. If you don't see anything in there specifically outlawing metal detecting, go for it. If someone gives you a hard time while out hunting, move on and try somewhere else. Or perhaps try that space on a different day of the week or time of day. Try to only use a small hand trowel for digging in such places, leave shovels at home :). Be neat and dig proper plugs, remove all trash you dig up, etc. If there are tot lots with mulch bedding around the play equipment, those are nice, easy places to hunt since the digging is a cinch and putting the mulch back in place is simple.

If your local parks & rec or city requires a metal detecting permit, read the requirements and apply for one.

Also as Z.K. pointed out, ask friends and family for permission as a way to ease into door-knocking. Happy hunting :treasurechest:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is America. Somebody, some corp, or some entity owns EVERY square inch.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, but it's a hobby, just like any other. You wouldn't expect to put a boat on someone's private lake, any more than you'd expect a stranger to come to YOUR yard and dig a hole and take whatever they wanted from it. As noted, there's more opportunities than we have time for, once you get a set of permissions. You might also find, if you're in urban land, that public sidewalk strips are good to go. Just check your ordinances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions