MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused with these rules

The rules I am looking at are for my area. http://www.chesco.org/index.aspx?NID=1059

It talks about defacing and damaging the park. I Looked at the sign at the actually park that is down the street from me before to see if there are any rules regarding metal detecting and I saw none. I have to see if they updated them recently. What should I do in this case?

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
#3 is pretty clear. Disturbing or removing... vegetation is prohibited, not much wiggle room there.

1. Defacing or damaging park property including buildings, markers or monuments and/or disturbing or removing wildlife or vegetation is prohibited. [Sections 5-6]

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do not call anyone first...hunt it and be super neat and clean about it...youll be fine

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything that says no removing metal from the ground. You can hunt the state parks, just have to contact the park manager and get a permit. If the park is grass, I would wait till we get some serious rain, too dry to cut plugs right now.

OP
OP
MineralsAndThings

MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything that says no removing metal from the ground. You can hunt the state parks, just have to contact the park manager and get a permit. If the park is grass, I would wait till we get some serious rain, too dry to cut plugs right now.

How does one go about contacting a park manager? Are they with the parks & rec office or can I go to the municipal building?
I did go hunting there once just for a short bit to test out an old machine I had. Nothing really seemed to happen and I saw someone else there before also.

OP
OP
MineralsAndThings

MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#3 is pretty clear. Disturbing or removing... vegetation is prohibited, not much wiggle room there.

1. Defacing or damaging park property including buildings, markers or monuments and/or disturbing or removing wildlife or vegetation is prohibited. [Sections 5-6]

When I hear the word vegetation in this instance I think more or so of trees, flowers and flower gardens or wet lands. They have summer camps at this place and rent the area out to people also. I always fill in my holes anyway its dangerous not to do so. I think disturbing the grass would be alright just you know no giant 2 ft deep holes in the ground.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently hit a park, where they'd done the aeration thing with the blades.. I can pretty much guarantee there won't EVER be a metal detectorist who cuts into the lawn like those aeration machines do! Personally, if it's not prohibited, I'd detect it. If you're concerned about holes (I am sometimes, in the summer when things go dry), lower your sensitivity, so you're just detecting the top 2 or 3 inches (short enough that you can pop anything out of the ground).

A "cut" in the grass is not a hole. and the grass lives just fine with a flap.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
County park I would not contact anyone.. just hunt it . Those rules do not say you can not, so no need to ask and stir up the pot. The State parks have webpages, email the manager. Ridley Creeks manager can be contacted at [email protected] calling never seemed to work for me.
Michael Kutzmonich | Park Manager
Ridley Creek State Park, 1023 Sycamore Mills Rd. Media, PA 19063
Phone: 610.892.3904 | Fax: 610.892.3906
PA DCNR - DCNR Home | www.visitPAparks.com

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sure they mean, don't start rolling up 2ft by 5ft strips of grass and taking it home.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I emailed our city attorney about it, he said if no one complains you are ok
do it in areas that are not like a golf course

CaptChip40

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2015
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd hunt it, worst that can happen is told to leave. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Defacing or damaging park property including buildings, markers or monuments and/or disturbing or removing wildlife or vegetation is prohibited. [Sections 5-6]

I'm no Lawyer, But when I hunt a park I do not Deface or damage park property including buildings, markers or monuments and/or disturb or remove wildlife or vegetation.
I'll dig into the Grass & ground & remove Trash (discarded & lost items ) of all ages.
But replace the grass & the Ground, as to not Disturb its growth cycle.
and as long as I don't get in an argument with anyone, I'm sure I am OK.

& I definitely wouldn't poke the Lion, by Asking if there are any Secret Rules or secret Meanings
to the rules I need to know about before I use the park for my particular recreational activity..

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Go in there and dig the **** out of it.

Let us know how it turns out.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Defacing or damaging park property including buildings, markers or monuments and/or disturbing or removing wildlife or vegetation is prohibited. [Sections 5-6]

I'm no Lawyer, But when I hunt a park I do not Deface or damage park property including buildings, markers or monuments and/or disturb or remove wildlife or vegetation.
I'll dig into the Grass & ground & remove Trash (discarded & lost items ) of all ages.
But replace the grass & the Ground, as to not Disturb its growth cycle.
and as long as I don't get in an argument with anyone, I'm sure I am OK.

& I definitely wouldn't poke the Lion, by Asking if there are any Secret Rules or secret Meanings
to the rules I need to know about before I use the park for my particular recreational activity..

and that sums it up

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused with these rules

All parks I have ever been to say that, one of the reason a park is my least desired places to hunt. The best thing to do is go at the most inconspicuous times, like early am or at night. Also use a brass tipped probe or screwdriver to pop coins and jewelry out of the ground. Most lookie-Lou's that see even a Lesche style "digger" will tend to cause you trouble with the park officials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions