MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused with these rules

The rules I am looking at are for my area. http://www.chesco.org/index.aspx?NID=1059

It talks about defacing and damaging the park. I Looked at the sign at the actually park that is down the street from me before to see if there are any rules regarding metal detecting and I saw none. I have to see if they updated them recently. What should I do in this case?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...The rules I am looking at are for my area...
It talks about defacing and damaging the park..

I do not understand your confusion. Were you planning on "defacing" and "damaging" your park ? If so, then don't do it. But if you planned on not leaving open holes, mess, etc.... , then I don't understand your question. Don't you see the implied tense of those rules? Defaced verus DefacED. And Damage versus DamagED. Just don't make a mess, and you'll be in compliance. And avoid lookie-lou busy bodies who may think otherwise. Presto, problem solved.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dauphin County Park Rules . Facilities Overview and Rules

#23 The use of metal detectors and subsequent digging and removal of artifacts on any park lands is prohibited.

Schuylkill County Park Rules
http://www.sweetarrowlakepark.com/files/PDF/Sweet_Arrow_Lake_Park_Rules_and_Regulations_web11.pdf

General Rules. No person shall:
Remove or disturb an historical or archeological artifact, relic or object.

if you don't see anything like this, don't advise them it's missing from their rules either :tongue3:
they just may go add it .
=====================================================================
and remember Don't confuse the words County with Municipal, State, city, or public.

the County does not set the rules for every park within it's borders, just the ones it calls "Theirs"

Last edited:
OP
OP
MineralsAndThings

MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N
I do not understand your confusion. Were you planning on "defacing" and "damaging" your park ? If so, then don't do it. But if you planned on not leaving open holes, mess, etc.... , then I don't understand your question. Don't you see the implied tense of those rules? Defaced verus DefacED. And Damage versus DamagED. Just don't make a mess, and you'll be in compliance. And avoid lookie-lou busy bodies who may think otherwise. Presto, problem solved.

I'm just rather cautious when it comes to rules.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N

I'm just rather cautious when it comes to rules.

I am also in some cases . But I don't try to Over examine the rules .

it doesn't pay to read things into what they say.

imo a Duck is a duck.
it's not a Chicken, Goose, or Turkey, if you get my drift.

OP
OP
MineralsAndThings

MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also in some cases . But I don't try to Over examine the rules .

it doesn't pay to read things into what they say.

imo a Duck is a duck.
it's not a Chicken, Goose, or Turkey, if you get my drift.

I know what you mean and I try not to go to deep with rules. I have just had some cases where people got angry and went into detail about some stuff.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't kick the hornet's nest! Let sleeping dogs well I'm sure you get it!
What everyone said!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...... I have just had some cases where people got angry and went into detail about some stuff.

I am the first to admit that .... if you're going to be doing turfed parks (because that's where the "connotations" kick into high gear that you might "harm the grass"), that you have to have a tough skin. Because sure: If you're waiting for red-carpets to be rolled out for you, then give it up. Not everyone's gonna like it. It's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night (so peaceful .... so serene).

If that's still not your bag, then consider other types hunting where the "stigma" isn't likely to occur. Ie.: beaches, forests, cow-pasture type chaparral terrain, old town urban demolition tearouts, etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... General Rules. No person shall:
Remove or disturb an historical or archeological artifact, relic or object. ....

Good post Jeff. I would add that I don't always/necessarily see the above snippet to dis-allow detecting. There are lots of places where detecting is common place, yet .... if you dug deeply enough .... you would see cultural heritage boiler plate stuff there. But ... sure..... if it's actually ENFORCED (eg.: obvious historic landmarks), then sure. But if it's just boiler-plate minutia, but not "in actual practice" cared about (beaches, for example), then .... I don't always assume that that precludes detecting. Just due to I've seen places where that stuff exists, yet detecting has gone on since the 1960s.

Also It would depend on if you found old stuff or not ! And is anyone *really* following us around on the beach or park checking the date of each coin we find ? Of course not. Thus you can say you're hunting for new stuff, and be totally within the limits of that quote. And depends on what constitutes "historical" and so forth. I'm sure if you asked enough purist archies, one will eventually throw out the 50 yr. rule. But , again, I can think of several places where you can detect, yet that stuff exists.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread