How low of VDI do you dig when relic hunting?

ASE

Greenie
Aug 27, 2015
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to all of this and will be detecting on a piece of land that hasn't been built on nor heavily used. I'm mostly looking for Civil War and Indian artifacts so I was curious how low of a VDI should I dig and should I only dig on good, solid signals or any little iron blip? There shouldn't be many (if any) nails, cans, tabs, etc...but who knows.

Any tips are appreciated!

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're digging for relics ground balance and dig any repeating hit.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to learn what your machine is telling you is to dig every single. The VDI will be different on the same object at different depths and it depends on what is near it or the way it lays. I listen to the sounds mostly. If you are at a good place and are relic hunting you need to dig it all. That's the only way to learn and be sure. It takes time to learn the language. I'd rather dig trash than miss a small/deep eagle button. I discrimanat some but it depends on were I'm hunting. If I were you I would learn the whole language first. But that's just me.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a lot of relicky sites I hunt, where I pass very small flitty foil-type signals. I just depends , of course, because if it's a super deeep signal, then it could be something that's just a factor of not locking on (TID's start to wain on very deep targets). But if it's a shallow sure-fire flitty birdshot pellet sized fleck, that I'm certain is gonna be a wadded gum-wrapper at best, then I often pass them.

For the beach, I dig them, because they can be wadded up chains or an earing stud, etc...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use to rely on VDI numbers when I first started metal detecting but then decided to go all metal mode most of the time because VDI numbers don't mean much necessarily unless you're solely coin shooting. I think you should dig everything.

OP
OP
ASE

ASE

Greenie
Aug 27, 2015
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got an AT Pro that I set to Pro Zero (no discrim)...I ground balance and go from there. My biggest concern is the birdshot pellets like Tom_in_CA mentioned. I've already found some shotgun shells..so I'm sure those pellets are eager to waste my time out there. lol

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most every site I relic hunt is nail-infested, so I dig from 25 on up.

If it's big iron, I get a higher VDI anyway.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most every site I relic hunt is nail-infested, so I dig from 25 on up.

I dug a shield nickel that rang up 28 on my ATP, it had (at least one) a square nail in the hole with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread